Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 10-08-18

Default ATF Fluid Levels

Hey guys,

Just mid-process of doing an ATF flush and hoping to pick the brains of the brains trust here.

How do you guys know how much fluid to put in?

I ask, as I usually check fluid levels prior to replacing to provide a preliminary guide as to how much to put in. My thought process being if oil level is okay before service, I'll replace how much came out as a starting point and then check fluid levels from there.

However when I checked my ATF this time, I noticed the fluid was aerated, causing the fluid mark to exceed the two high marks.

Reading the FSM:
Quote:
If the ATF level is too low, the oil pump draws air into the system along with the ATF, and air bubbles will thus form int he fluid circuit. This will cause a drop in fluid pressure and cause the shift points to change and the clutches and brakes to slip.

If the ATF level is too high, the gear will churn the ATF and cause bubbles to develop, which can then cause the same problems as when the ATF fluid is too low. In either case, the air bubbles can cause overheating and oxidation of the ATF, and also prevent the valves, clutches and brakes from operating normally. In addition, if bubbles develop in the ATF, the ATF can overflow from the transmission vent holes and be mistaken for leaks.
I thought perhaps I had too much in there; as the fluid level was above the "Cold" mark when first started.

So I've drained via the cooler hose and then drained the sump and noted about 3.8L come out:
  • Cooler hose: Approx 3.7L
  • Sump: Approx 0.1-0.2L

Collectively this should have drained approx 6L according to the FSM. Now I'm thinking it's aerated due to being too low?

Now, coming to refill I don't want to pour in what has come out, as I know that wasn't right, but am only assuming it's too low.

Wondering if it's worth popping in just enough to get me to the "COLD" mark, and then increase as necessary from there?

Any thoughts?
Old 10-08-18

Decided to add fluid slowly/bit-by-bit until it was above cold at neutral, then cycled through the gears and checked plus topped up as required.

If the temp-to-level graph in the FSM is accurate, then some minor extrapolation downards (to say 25-35 degrees) suggests I should be in the ball-park.

Short test drive and all seems okay. Back to nice clean crisp gear changes with no flare.

Will take for a drive tomorrow/Sunday to get it up to operating temperature to check the level properly.
Old 12-08-18

I recently started a flush of my auto transmission in preparation of a filter replacement/oil change. Dumping the oil from the pan equated to approximately 4litres for mine and my dipstick level was spot on. From what I have read, you will never dump the whole transmission fluid via the pan (a different procedure is required which has been posted previously on this forum).
2005 NP Pajero Exceed DiD: Airtec snorkel, iDrive, Nudge bar with 24" Stedi light bar, Redarc's Ultimate Dual Battery setup, 2" MD King/Bilstein suspension combo, Flashlube catch can pro, Bridgestone D697 A/T's, Front/Rear RDA slotted disc rotors, Boo's bashplates.
Old 12-08-18

Cheers mate.

I never expected to get the full amount out through the pan. I was just quite surprised at how much less than the suggested 6L of fluid the service manual suggested would come out of both the cooler line and pan.

When checking this arvo after a decent drive around town it was a couple mm over the highest "HOT" notch. I'll double check later this week, but looks like I'll have to drop a bit of fluid.

If it helps at all Sparky, I drained through the cooler line three times. First 2 spat out old crap fluid and gave me a bit over 9L of fluid. By the third you start flushing fresh fluid through. That makes sense given the service manual states 9.3L for Transmission Fluid capacity. When you do the cooler line, if you pop a hose over the outlet, make sure to hold it on steady. I used a garden hose off cut and accidentally let it slip off mid-drain.
Old 12-08-18
Valued Member

The torque converter holds a lot of fluid too, about 3-4L is about right just dropping the pan. Some people donít flush it totally, they just drop the pan every 30,000kmnor whatever, whether that is sufficient who knows...