• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnFromPerth
    • Mar 2018
    • Western Australia

Charging System

Here is an article on modern charging systems that may interest owners that have second batteries for fridges, radios and other accessories.
    Attached Files
  • greig
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2010
    • kanwal

I have a 2013 Outlander ( purchased 1 mth ago ) that appears to have a smart alternator. After approx 5 mins, it cuts back to 12V charge, and the only way to "outsmart" it is to turn on the parkers or headlights, when it will go back up to 13.5V, which is still less than the "old" charging voltage of 14.1V of a couple of Hyundai Elantra's I have owned.

Comment

• claytspb
      • Jun 2018
      • maryborough

Charging system

I only read this article today on a Amateur radio newsletter and it follows on from a article I wrote on the Ford Ranger dealer alert of a few years ago re the adding of accessories to the positive battery terminal and them not being considered by the electrical system as a extra drain on the battery.
      The bulliton also mentioned the problem of RF interference to the Computers from High powered transmitters. I have forgotten most of the technical stuff now.

The author Ian is a real electronics whiz

Kerry

Comment

• JohnFromPerth
        • Mar 2018
        • Western Australia

Hi Kerry
        As you guess I am an amateur radio operator and picked up the article from a newsletter.

I wrote to Mitsubishi Australia asking if they had any information or recommendations regarding installing HF transmitters in their vehicles.
        All I got back was a suggestion to check with my dealer, who knew absolutely nothing about HF radios in vehicles.

Many manufacturers do provide bulletins on this topic, suggesting placement of wiring and antennas to avoid interference with vehicle systems as well as limiting vehicle interference to radio reception.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X