Clear All
  • live_1991
    • Jun 2012
    • darwin

Well After getting my tax done, going to get the TJM kit

They have said two battery can fit

Or the

What would you go for an why?

Main use for the next year would be long weekend away with my Engel 40L, then after that a 2 - 3 month around the top end.

I live in Darwin if heat has anything to do with it

Thanks Matt

Comment

• fester
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2013
      • Gympie Qld

If you are running 2 batteries then there is no need to run a "hybrid" that is a start battery with light deep cycle capability. I would go for the proper deep cycle battery.

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by fester View Post
        If you are running 2 batteries then there is no need to run a "hybrid" that is a start battery with light deep cycle capability. I would go for the proper deep cycle battery.
        Wot he sed.

They are both 70Ah batteries, but only one is rated by the manufacturer as a "deep cycling" battery - the other is rated for "light cycling", and has a higher CCA capacity, which is generally a sign that its construction is less suited to deep cycling.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Midge
          • Sep 2011
          • Perth

Fitted an Optima Yellowtop D35 as my deep cycle battery died after only 18 months. Fits nicely in the FNB4WD tray, except the hold down clamp is a bit wide for the narrower battery. It's down to 48AHh from 60AH, but supposed to have alot longer life.

Hope to make this one last alot longer!
          2012 Challenger LS Auto 7 seat

Comment

• fester
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2013
            • Gympie Qld

Originally posted by Midge View Post
            Fitted an Optima Yellowtop D35 as my deep cycle battery died after only 18 months. Fits nicely in the FNB4WD tray, except the hold down clamp is a bit wide for the narrower battery. It's down to 48AHh from 60AH, but supposed to have alot longer life.

Hope to make this one last alot longer!
            Did your yellow top have a dark grey or light grey body.

Comment

• Midge
              • Sep 2011
              • Perth

I'd say light grey. Why do you ask?

I should clarify, the yellowtop is the new battery, not the dead one.

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

Midge,

I had a similar issue on my last 4wd with a redtop starting and a yellow top deep cycle, I ended up changing both batteries to yellow top deep cycles. I know some people say you can mix battery types and constructions but even time I have done this I have had premature battery failures.

The 2 yellow tops are still going strong after 4 years, I keep in contact with my nephew that brought the car. Best life out of dual batteries I have had was 2 identical Odyssey batteries, they lasted 11 years!

Only had my Lithium Ion Phosphate batteries for 18 months so it is too early to say if they are worth the expense.

cheers, old Jack.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Midge
                  • Sep 2011
                  • Perth

So OJ, do you think I should consider replacing the starting battery with a yellowtop also? It is on its way out already (after 20 months). It would be alot smaller physically than the original battery, but if it does the job (CCA is alot higher) and makes them both last longer, why wouldn't you? They are a bit more expensive (I paid $268).

Comment

• fester
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2013
                    • Gympie Qld

Originally posted by Midge View Post
                    I'd say light grey. Why do you ask?

I should clarify, the yellowtop is the new battery, not the dead one.
                    It was a couple of years ago when I bought mine and in the little blurb that came in the box it stated that the light cases were starting and the dark cases were deep cycle. I didnt read this anywhere else when researching. I just bought a blue one for starting and winching csuse it had twin terminals on top and a yellow with the second set of side terminals for my deep cycle for neatness and the yellow happened to be a dark case. Most I read on the net suggested all but red could be deep cycled but the brochure in the box suggested otherwise.

Comment

• Kingbrown
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2012
                      • Port Augusta - SA

Re: colour of Optima battery cases, my reading suggests that it's only the Blue Top D__M (M = Marine) that has different shades of grey case.
                      The dark one is cranking only, while light grey is dual purpose crank/deep cycle.

Happy to be corrected though (I may have been wrong once or twice in the past )
                      2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• fester
                        Valued Member
                        • Feb 2013
                        • Gympie Qld

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
                        Re: colour of Optima battery cases, my reading suggests that it's only the Blue Top D__M (M = Marine) that has different shades of grey case.
                        The dark one is cranking only, while light grey is dual purpose crank/deep cycle.

Happy to be corrected though (I may have been wrong once or twice in the past )
                        Not sure now. I bought both at same time. Will see if I kept the brochure.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X