• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whitedg
    • Dec 2011
    • Rydalmere

PB Challenger EGR Resistor Mod

I've been doing a bit of reading on NewTriton on the resistor mod for the 4D56 engine so I did a bit of homework and tried it out for myself.

Step 1. Identify the Black/Blue stripe wire coming from the MAF sensor. I followed this wire around the engine bay, under the brake booster, and into a clip on wire cover over the back of the engine. I then found the wire, tested it with a multi meter probe.

Step 2. Cut the wire

Step 3. Solder in the resistor. I also soldered in a figure 8 bell wire on either side as I added in a switch that would bypass the resistor should I have any issues. I chose a 4,700 Ohm 1/2 Watt 1% Metal resistor from Jaycar (Part number RR0588)

Step 4: Solder on and Mount the switch (Relay is there for a manual 2nd battery I'm going to wire up)

Step 5: Test and tape it all back up. I also put on Heat Shrink under the tape.

I tested the car by going for a drive with the resistor disabled. I watched the Ultraguage and it showed the EGR opening up to 67% (on average). I then enabled the resistor, and the Ultraguage is showing the EGR at 0% at all times.

I'll continue to test and let you know if I have any issues.

Cheers
    whitedg
    MY12 PB LS Manual (Ironbark), HR towbar, Cooper AT3 Tyres, GME UHF, MM Alloy Nudgebar, Rhino-rack roof racks & basket, EGR resistor mod, DP-Chip, Diff Breathers.
  • cannonsjs
    • Mar 2014
    • Melbourne

Thanks for the write-up.
    I'll be following this thread and doing the same on my Challenger if the mod continues to work without throwing any errors.
    2016 NX Pajero GLX - Bushkinz Bash Plates, 50mm Ultimate Suspension Lift, Uniden 8050S, Projecta Dual Battery Kit, Kuhmo AT51
    2014 PC Challenger Base - Bushskinz & MM Bash Plates, Uniden 8050S, Projecta Dual Battery Kit, Falken Wildpeak AT02

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Thanks for posting Whitedog, is is on my electrical/electronic mod list.

Have you measured the temperature of the resistor?
      My concern is it may get hot all bound up in the wiring loom, I had intended to do the same mod but at the Engine ECU inside the car and have the resistor in "free air", aim is to have a relatively stable temp and therefore resistance.

Thoughts or comments on this theory?

cheers, old Jack.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• whitedg
        • Dec 2011
        • Rydalmere

Hey Old Jack, after a 1 hour drive, with the cover off, the resistor was only as warm as the surrounding wires - ie. not putting out any heat that I could detect. Without an accurate temp probe, I'm not able to see how hot it is getting.

In any case, with the cover over the wires, plus heat shrink over the resistor, plus a double layer of that emergency tape (which is quite thick), I reckon it will be pretty well insulated - time will tell.

I tried to trace the wire back to the ECU in the cabin, but I lost it going through the wiring loom - I though that this place was easier to access and a bit hidden from Mitsubishi (unless they go looking of course).

I'll post back here with any issues that I find.

I came across this thread over at MySwag http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36944.0 that has a good explanation by koshari and a chart of the resistance values.

Cheers
        whitedg
        MY12 PB LS Manual (Ironbark), HR towbar, Cooper AT3 Tyres, GME UHF, MM Alloy Nudgebar, Rhino-rack roof racks & basket, EGR resistor mod, DP-Chip, Diff Breathers.

Comment

• PC Challenger
          • May 2014
          • Earth

Id separate the resistor from the loom. If it gets hot it may melt the insulation on the other cables creating a short.

Just food for thought
          Last edited by PC Challenger; 20-06-14, 05:30 PM.
          Stock PC Challenger

Comment

• coughy
            Valued Member
            • May 2014
            • Redlands Brisbane QLD

so can some one pls explain what the advandage of this mod??
            engine gets clean air? will fuel economy improve?
            and what about performance (ie torq and power?)
            my main thing im looking for is fuel economy...
            cheers and good find op..
            My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.
            New Custom Ultimate diesel tuning REMAP,custom rail limiter.

Comment

• PC Challenger
              • May 2014
              • Earth

Originally posted by coughy View Post
              so can some one pls explain what the advandage of this mod??
              engine gets clean air? will fuel economy improve?
              and what about performance (ie torq and power?)
              my main thing im looking for is fuel economy...
              cheers and good find op..

Stock PC Challenger

Comment

• cannonsjs
                • Mar 2014
                • Melbourne

Coughy, check out this link for an explanation.
                2016 NX Pajero GLX - Bushkinz Bash Plates, 50mm Ultimate Suspension Lift, Uniden 8050S, Projecta Dual Battery Kit, Kuhmo AT51
                2014 PC Challenger Base - Bushskinz & MM Bash Plates, Uniden 8050S, Projecta Dual Battery Kit, Falken Wildpeak AT02

Comment

• cannonsjs
                  • Mar 2014
                  • Melbourne

I agree with that article for a petrol engined vehicle but on a turbo diesel there are additional considerations. ie. Oil blow-by and the soot from the diesel exhaust.

Comment

• Kingbrown
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2012
                    • Port Augusta - SA

Appreciable heat in a resistor of that size is highly unlikely.
                    Even with 13.8V directly across the resistor, you'd only be producing about 40mW.
                    It would get hotter if you breathed on it !
                    A resistor in the order of 1k would have the power dissipation (read temperature) starting to creep up.
                    2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• fester
                      Valued Member
                      • Feb 2013
                      • Gympie Qld

Oh wow. I am doing this mod ASAP. I had been chasing info on trying something simple like this 18mths ago when we bough tour Challenger as I had been using a similar simple mod on my Jeep for a couple of years now. Back then I was told the Challenger EGR system was too smart for that, so glad someone has worked it out as I've had to deal with and clean out the EGR crap from the Jeeps manifold and it is a huge issue over time.

Comment

• PC Challenger
                        • May 2014
                        • Earth

Ok so i have a few questions. As im new to the challenger.

Wont a blank plate work?

Resistor on the Maf sensor have any negative affect.
                        "affect air fuel ratio ect"?

Are these ecu tuneable or reflashable?

Cheers
                        Stock PC Challenger

Comment

• Turtleman
                          • Aug 2012
                          • Perth

I ordered the mod from Tony on tritonnet $50 to my door and it works a treat about 4 weeks ago and now my fuel usage is down also bonus

Ben

Comment

• whitedg
                            • Dec 2011
                            • Rydalmere

Originally posted by PC Challenger View Post
                            Ok so i have a few questions. As im new to the challenger.

Wont a blank plate work?

Resistor on the Maf sensor have any negative affect.
                            "affect air fuel ratio ect"?

Are these ecu tuneable or reflashable?

Cheers
                            Yes, a blanking plate will do the same job - it will not allow the exhaust gas to re-circulate into the intake. With the resistor mod, it tells the system that it is too cold to open the EGR, effectively doing the same thing.

This resistor does not effect the tune as it looks like it is only used for the EGR valve. There is another temp sensor in the manifold (post turbo) that is used for the tune - not much use using this value as the air is heated up significantly by the turbo.

ECU is tuneable - not sure if the tune stops the EGR from opening. I have a DPChip in mine, not an aftermarket tune.

Cheers
                            whitedg

Comment

• PC Challenger
                              • May 2014
                              • Earth

Originally posted by Turtleman View Post
                              I ordered the mod from Tony on tritonnet $50 to my door and it works a treat about 4 weeks ago and now my fuel usage is down also bonus

Ben
                              you block it or tricking the system not to open it?
                              what year challenger?
                              Stock PC Challenger

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X