• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kiwi downunder
    • Feb 2014
    • Adelaide

MMA looking really bad!

Originally posted by Kiwi downunder View Post
    OK I phoned dealer and I asked what the real code was from yesterday, as I can see P codes (nothing on my scan tool) and its an engine immobilise code nothing to do with SRS.
    I said it should be a B code......
    Wiring harness should be under warranty.... MMA said cars outside of, so I said its still under drive train, i'm first owner, its a safety issue you know about and haven't recalled, and as per ACCC rules should last the life of the car i.e. the first ownership..... MMA said they would put in a claim for me.
    And so they &^%$#@# should!

MMA called back and apologised that the tech read the code as P1610, they had to go back into the MUT unit (I guess) took another look and low and behold it was a B1610 code, your correct sir.

OK so the question is... if they read it as a P code, then they would have scratched their heads as an engine immobilise has nothing to do with the SRS system, yet they said the SRS harnesses top and bottom needed replacing from the said diagnostics at $785, what did they really do for the $65 diagnostics???

I'm thinking that this fault is so common its the first thing they do regardless! Or they are so full of $#%&, and are just out to rip you off, as i'm not convinced they even know what my problem is! Just get me to pay, go away, back pay some more until rule of elimination is played out.... shame on you MMA
    Update 22/03/2020: Pulled everything appart and I have just tested my passenger seat belt pre-tensioner circuit (Supposed Error code B1610 given my MMA) and all tested ok! 2.3 ohms back to the SRS -ECU plug (no open circuit)..... now I'm really begging to wonder if they even plugged in the MUT for a code read at all.
    This smells like its got $%#^ all over it from MMA.....

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2019
      • Victoria

It will be an intermittant code. They can stay active, but very rarely. And the connection issue will be at the SRS-ECU plug. The pins will be slightly smaller than the sockets.

Was the light out when you got the car back?
      2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• Kiwi downunder
        • Feb 2014
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by DibbyDibbyDJ View Post
        It will be an intermittant code. They can stay active, but very rarely. And the connection issue will be at the SRS-ECU plug. The pins will be slightly smaller than the sockets.

Was the light out when you got the car back?
        No It wasnt out.... not sure if they even tried to reset it...said they did.
        I would have thought light would go out if circuit good, just keep fault in memory, but Ive tested it and the SRS warning lamp is still up... hence me thinking they gave me a bogus code.

Comment

• Kingbrown
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2012
          • Port Augusta - SA

Presumably your test involved unplugging the wiring at each end (otherwise you may not have lived to tell the tale).

When any plug is disconnected, the pin connection swaps over to another set of contacts within the plug and a short is automatically applied across the squib side of the connectors. Your measurements will be measuring the continuity through that alternate set of contacts rather than those that are used between the ecu and the field device.

I believe there is also separate circuitry that checks to ensure the plug(s) are inserted properly.

It's a complex system with many many connections so little wonder that faults appear.
          2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2019
            • Victoria

No, if fault happens and goes straight away fault is stored and light stays on. It is designed that way. We normally read codes and wiggle connectors and recheck if fault disappears, so we can show customer its correct.

It isn t hard to replace harnesses. If you are handy with a spanner you will be ok. You would need to get code cleared afterwards though.

Whats involved?

DISCONNECT BATTERY!!!!!!!

Remove front seats.
            Remove floor console.
            Remove front floor trims and b post trims
            Remove A post trims
            Remove sunvisors and roof lights.
            Drop down front of headlining

floor harnesses can be ran alongside original seat connectors. You can cut them off, or leave them in if you are unsure, but where harnesses clip to floor you will have to use these. All harnesses come with clips.

Roof harness goes from left curtain bag, across roof to right curtain bag and down right A pillar to a connector behind dash. Fiddly to get to, but not impossible, no dash removal required. And a couple of connectors to the junction box.
            The harness comes with wiring for both sets of interior lights, and roof clock if you have one. ( must order harnesses to your VIN )

Curtain bags need unbolting to fit harness to inflators.

I have done quite a few sets of these so can knock them out in about 3 hours, but first set probably took me 5 or six to do. So expect to keep a day clear.
            Last edited by DibbyDibbyDJ; 22-03-20, 05:39 PM.
            2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• Kiwi downunder
              • Feb 2014
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
              Presumably your test involved unplugging the wiring at each end (otherwise you may not have lived to tell the tale).

When any plug is disconnected, the pin connection swaps over to another set of contacts within the plug and a short is automatically applied across the squib side of the connectors. Your measurements will be measuring the continuity through that alternate set of contacts rather than those that are used between the ecu and the field device.

I believe there is also separate circuitry that checks to ensure the plug(s) are inserted properly.

It's a complex system with many many connections so little wonder that faults appear.
              Yes I disconnected battery, pulled plugs & removed shorting links at SRS ECU plug (cable tie). Measured the circuit leg by leg and with Seat belt tensioner in circuit (approx 1mA max current) all good. So without a code tool I cannot tell if it would clear now.

Just waiting on the good will claim to see if the harnesses will be replaced, otherwise off to ebay I go.
              Foxwell NT630 Elite CANBus reader....

Foxwell NT630 Plus Support Functions:. Foxwell NT630 Plus Support Language Foxwell NT630 Plus Support Car List Foxwell NT630 Plus Reset function Support List. Foxwell NT630 Plus ABS Airbag Scanner Free Upgrade Forever !

Then continue from there.

Comment

• Kiwi downunder
                • Feb 2014
                • Adelaide

Yep as expected

Got my Foxwell NT630plus CANBus tool today.
                Quick update on the internet and then down to the garage.

As expected I got a B1610 error code...pushed 'reset' and it cleared OK, which matched all my testing.
                Now to put the car all back together over the next few days.

The question is.... will it come back?
                Last edited by Kiwi downunder; 06-04-20, 08:26 PM. Reason: Error to fix

Comment

• littleriver
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • Queensland

Originally posted by Kiwi downunder View Post
                  Got my Foxwell NT630plus CANBus tool today.
                  Quick update on the internet and then down to the garage.

As expected I got a B1610 error code...pushed 'reset' and it cleared OK, which matched all my testing.
                  Now to put the car all back together over the next few days.

The question is.... will it come back?
                  It will come back ...

As mentioned previously push for the wiring harness loom to be replaced as many of us have had it done ..

FYI

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• mitsa
                    • May 2014
                    • Brisbane

Airbag light

Reading on with interest as my airbag light came on recently - went to local mitsubishi dealer & got charged $150 for a 10 minute scan which showed squib fault - waps told then $1200 to replace the harness. Left the dealer with light still on - got home & wrote email to Mitsubishi as I'm only owner & believe it's a safety fault - got reply saying out of warranty so have to pay to replace it.
                    My scan tool states same issue as mitsubishi told me but am not sure if I should attempt it - does anyone know any mechanics around Brisbane that could do it properly & cheaper

Thanks
                    2010 XLS Auto Challenger - ECUTEK Remap by MRT + KCRR-23 Rear Springs & EFS shocks / Struts + Home made Rear draws + GME TX3120 UHF + Nudge Bar with 22" Light Bar

Comment

• littleriver
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • Queensland

Originally posted by mitsa View Post
                      Reading on with interest as my airbag light came on recently - went to local mitsubishi dealer & got charged $150 for a 10 minute scan which showed squib fault - waps told then $1200 to replace the harness. Left the dealer with light still on - got home & wrote email to Mitsubishi as I'm only owner & believe it's a safety fault - got reply saying out of warranty so have to pay to replace it.
                      My scan tool states same issue as mitsubishi told me but am not sure if I should attempt it - does anyone know any mechanics around Brisbane that could do it properly & cheaper

Thanks
                      Sad to hear .... . .. I believe that the consumer law covers to 10 yrs or 500k km ....

So it seems MMA is only replacing under goodwill to the newer vehicles ...

By memory the harness is at a cost of approx $570 ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011
                        • Adelaide, South Australia.

This is a known fault in a critical safety system, it should have been a recall.
                        MMAL have already set a precedent of replacing many looms out of warranty.
                        You just need to push harder and not give up. This is just a fob off by some junior within MMAL.
                        A post of your problem and disappointment with MMAL customer service on their Facebook page will soon get their attention.

OJ.
                        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• juano86
                          • Aug 2015
                          • Brisbane QLD

I had my airbag light come on and took it to the stealers. much like the above, $1200 quote from them to replace the harnesses etc. i wrote to MMAL and they were initially very reluctant, but we finally got to a replacement under 'good will' (2011 XLS). phew.
                          2011 PB Challenger XLS Auto: 2" Lift, ECB Bullbar, Sliders, bushskinz, EGR Mod, Kumho MT51's 265/70/R17, Dual Batteries, AirTec Snorkel, Diff Breathers, Black Widow Drawers, 40lt Engel, Boab 40lt Water Tank & Pump, HID Spotties, UHF etc.

Comment

• Kingbrown
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2012
                            • Port Augusta - SA

Originally posted by juano86 View Post
                            I had my airbag light come on and took it to the stealers. much like the above, $1200 quote from them to replace the harnesses etc. i wrote to MMAL and they were initially very reluctant, but we finally got to a replacement under 'good will' (2011 XLS). phew.
                            How magnanimous of them.

Good on you for persisting.

2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• old Jack
                              Regular
                              • Jun 2011
                              • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by juano86 View Post
                              Great result, MMAL know they are liable but the dealers are looking at the easy way out at your expense!

OJ.
                              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• juano86
                                • Aug 2015
                                • Brisbane QLD

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

Great result, MMAL know they are liable but the dealers are looking at the easy way out at your expense!

OJ.
                                MMAL originally said NO as the vehicle was too far out of warranty and that a goodwill claim was only offered to those whom showed "loyalty to the brand" (albeit iv owned the vehicle for over 5yrs now). they also wanted evidence of a full and complete service history. A fully stamped service book and 90% of those services completed by Mitsubishi dealers wasn't good enough, I had to call and email 10yrs worth of dealers and workshops to get actual receipts showing what had physically been carried out. Bizarre, as the airbag wiring system is a non-serviceable and non-perishable critical safety device...

Fed up with that BS, I had a friend who works for the QLD office of fair trading draft me an e-mail and pretty much tear them a new one for saying that just because I hadn't owned a Mitsi in the past the safety of me, my family and other road users was less important to those whom have owned one in the past and id be escalating to the ACCC etc.

Needless to say, an hour later they replied agreeing to fix under goodwill and to call my local dealer to arrange.

This would be making me less likely to want to own another Mitsi in the future if anything... painful amount of work to have this fixed.
                                2011 PB Challenger XLS Auto: 2" Lift, ECB Bullbar, Sliders, bushskinz, EGR Mod, Kumho MT51's 265/70/R17, Dual Batteries, AirTec Snorkel, Diff Breathers, Black Widow Drawers, 40lt Engel, Boab 40lt Water Tank & Pump, HID Spotties, UHF etc.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X