Clear All
  • Rsboy82
    • Sep 2015
    • Shropshire

Steering Column play (with pics)

yoooooo hows it going guys

thanks for the help with my wipers in a previous post much appreciated

Next question haha...

ok so I've had the pleasure of experiencing the common fault of the steering column play! where the steering column top bush slips down and causes up/down forwards/backwards play,

Ive stripped the column down three times now clean it all up push the black sleeve/washer/bush back in to the bearing shaft which locks the column back in so theres no play! which works great but it always eventually works it way loose again,

my question to all you Gurus is what can i use to adhere the bush to where it belongs? I've attached pics with arrows pointing to the problem bush

Top Part of steering Column

• Rsboy82
    • Sep 2015
    • Shropshire

Anyone?

Maybe I can simplify the question

Does anyone know of an adhesive that you can use on plastic that's surrounded by Grease?

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

I doubt that you will ever get an adhesive to stick the bush back into place, especially after it has been thoroughly greased. You may be able to jam some thin packing on the outside of the bush to take up some slack there, or you may be able to drill and tap a small grub screw into the bush material to hold it in place. I have never heard of this happening but that is not to say that it cannot occur - obviously it has with you.

Comment

• TimTams
        • Apr 2012
        • Melbourne

push the bushing back in to place, then stick a flathead screwdriver against that thin metal sleeve around the outside. Give it a couple of whacks with a hammer. it should deform and bite into the bushing and hold it in place
        '95 LWB Pajero NJ 2.8TD Manual

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X