• Show
Clear All
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

Nissan refuse warranty.

Can't say I blame them.

In today's Telegraph a fellow was complaining that Nissan have refused warranty on his late model still under warranty 3 litre Patrol. Apparently the motor is cactus.

Nissan said the cause was to much boost as the owner had fitted an after market intercooler, a three inch exhaust and a chip.

He is up for a $15,000 rebuild.

Is there a lesson there.
  • dhula
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2012
    • South of Perth

The cynic in me would be interested to know how Nissan determined that the cause of the failure was too much turbo boost and also the cause of the over boost problem was due to the aftermarket inter-cooler, 3inch exhaust or chip (or a combination of all 3).

Considering the engine is stuffed, did Nissan pull info from the ECU as it was there for all to see.
    Had it been over boosting for some time and can be linked to when the extra gear was fitted or is it a recent thing.
    Did a sensor, valve etc fail causing the over boost and is that failure related to the extra gear or a separate issue
    2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
    2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• stevemc181
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2012
      • Thornlie/Perth

Nowhere near enough info on this to even guess as to what has gone wrong. I'd love to get some more details, but doubt we will ever know the full story.

The risks of modding need to be weighed up if you have a new vehicle. My GU Patrol is only 4 months old and I choose to ignore it all and build the car the way I want it. If mine blows an engine, it will be transplanted with something with way more HP than the ZD30.

My Patrol will never see a dealer in its lifetime, unless it's a recall for something. I have way too many mods already to be bothered even trying to claim warranty, and after some of my less than satisfactory experiences with MM dealer servicing, I've sworn off the dealers for life.
      2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
      3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• MatthewP
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2014
        • North of Brisbane

The guy obviously didnt do his research when moding the ZD30.

Its not just the high boost but the ridiculous drive pressure and egts, that occur when the ecu freaks out and doesn't open the VGT vanes.

Engines grenading was common for the old DI ZD30s.
        Its less likely to happen on the commonrail engines, but if you are moding them, people still use anti grenade kits or Nissan Anti Detonation kits (NADs).

Stevemc181 has the manual boost controller on his ZD30, to stop this happening to him.

Matt
        Last edited by MatthewP; 28-05-17, 08:31 AM.
        05 NP Pajero Platinum 3.2DID Auto

Comment

• stevemc181
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2012
          • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by MatthewP View Post
          The guy obviously didnt do his research when moding the ZD30.

Its not just the high boost but the ridiculous drive pressure and egts, that occur when the ecu freaks out and doesn't open the VGT vanes.

Engines grenading was common for the old DI ZD30s.
          Its less likely to happen on the commonrail engines, but if you are moding them, people still use anti grenade kits or Nissan Anti Detonation kits (NADs).

Stevemc181 has the manual boost controller on his ZD30, to stop this happening to him.

Matt

Mine is fitted with NADS apart from a catch can, (EGR Block,Boost Controller,Boost Gauge, EGT Gauge)
          Manual Boost control and an EGT/Boost gauge should be the first things added to the ZD30. I also spoke last week with a guy who had a 2013 model that grenaded after 3+ years and was out of warranty. This also cost him around $15k to rebuild. His motor was stock, but he was towing a 1.5 tonne camper regularly and he had no idea what his EGT's were, as he had no gauge fitted.

So the odd ZD30 engine still does it, and it seems to be #3 piston that cops all the heat and melts, keeping an eye on EGT's is a must with these if you are putting the engine under any sort of pressure. There are plenty out there who have no issues and just motor along blissfully unaware.
          2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
          3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• dhula
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2012
            • South of Perth

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post
            There are plenty out there who have no issues and just motor along blissfully unaware.
            And so they should be able to IMHO.

There really should be no need to fit all that stuff to a car just so you can use it as intended.

The problems with the ZD30 are known and have been around for sometime so I'm sure Nissan are well and truly in the picture. It has to make you wonder why they haven't done anything to sort the problem or at least minimize it.
            Maybe some kind of EGT sensor and coding in the ECU to limit boost, fuel, etc if EGT goes too high so that the engine is protected, at least a little bit. They've been de-rateing big engines in trucks etc for many reasons for years so the tech is there so why not use it I reckon.
            2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
            2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• m_and_m
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2010
              • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by dhula View Post
              And so they should be able to IMHO.

There really should be no need to fit all that stuff to a car just so you can use it as intended.

The problems with the ZD30 are known and have been around for sometime so I'm sure Nissan are well and truly in the picture. It has to make you wonder why they haven't done anything to sort the problem or at least minimize it.
              Maybe some kind of EGT sensor and coding in the ECU to limit boost, fuel, etc if EGT goes too high so that the engine is protected, at least a little bit. They've been de-rateing big engines in trucks etc for many reasons for years so the tech is there so why not use it I reckon.
              I reckon you're spot on dhula. You shouldn't need to worry about such catastrophic failure if you're using the vehicle (unmodified) in the way it was intended - i.e towing 3T at WOT on at 40 degree day . It is well within technology for the engine to protect itself properly, and it should do so (from factory).
              But, once you start modding it, it's a different story.

The mods I'm choosing to do to my <1 yo Pajero DO stake into account risk of a rejected warranty claim. To date I've had a few warranty claims - totalling in excess of $2-3k. I'm not risking a $15k rebuild. Once out of warranty it's a different kettle of fish though.

No sympathy for the modded ZD30 warranty not being honoured, but I do empathise with the owner - assuming someone (or several) have done it for him and have a got it wrong.

But, if he did it all himself, then...say hasta la vista to your $15k buddy!
              2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
              2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
              Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• Peterng
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2013
                • Northern Rivers NSW

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                Can't say I blame them.

In today's Telegraph a fellow was complaining that Nissan have refused warranty on his late model still under warranty 3 litre Patrol. Apparently the motor is cactus.

Nissan said the cause was to much boost as the owner had fitted an after market intercooler, a three inch exhaust and a chip.

He is up for a $15,000 rebuild.

Is there a lesson there.
                Yep, you modify a motor from its original factory specs, then try to get warranty when it goes all goes tits up...
                Sorry...your fault...
                It's like some people in the world today..blame someone else..ambulance chasing lawyers getting payouts for their clients...ie..person drunk, jumps into surf, cracks their neck on the bottom and sues the Council for not having signs up warning them..

Don't get me started....
                I'll get off the track a bit...but I believe it has something to do with companies "saying Yes" to many times to gain and keep market share against their competitors.
                Short story long.it happened a few years ago.
                The teenage daughter dropped the iPhone, I told her time and bloody time again to get a case...did'nt listen...iphone falls on concrete..cracked screen and dies. The iphone is 3 months out of 12 month warranty..
                Your problem kid...suck it up..learn from your mistake, buy a new phone and get a bloody protective phone case.
                What she does...goes to Appleshop, tells them an embellished 1/2 truth story...they give her a refurbish iPhone same model...at no cost!
                WTF...
                At least Apple could have charged her some $$$ for the exercise...
                One good thing but...she did go and get a protective case...
                Still treats her mobile like shite...

Anyway..you modify your vehicle whilst under warranty...read your rights and understand the consequences..
                Last edited by Peterng; 04-06-17, 03:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• rotare
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2007

Better intercooler and bigger exhaust will reduce EGT's and be better for the longevity of the engine....
                  2013 NW VRX

Comment

• JoshF
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2008
                    • Brisbane

don't the chip manufacturers provide full warranty for their products in the case of a blown motor as part of the peace of mind they want for customers??
                    NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
                    Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• karl1234
                      • May 2017
                      • Seaford, Vic

Wouldn't it be cheaper to have your engine rebuilt than transpant another brand new one from Nissan?

Comment

• zoom
                        • Apr 2017
                        • Sydney

Originally posted by JoshF View Post
                        don't the chip manufacturers provide full warranty for their products in the case of a blown motor as part of the peace of mind they want for customers??
                        They all do until you make a claim

Comment

• Ent
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2014
                          • Tasmania

We all have to accepted that with a modern turbo diesels there are legimate reasons why a manufacturer chooses a power level. I am sure MMAL would like to be class leader in power and/or economy, and should have the brains trust to tune their motors to get this. The fact they pick a level should tell us bad things will happen if we tweak above this.

My motor is untouched for this reason. Sure love more torque down low and happy to get any free lunch but would probably find things that never break will start breaking.

Or maybe MMAL traction control or towbar design teams tuned the motor
                          2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• littleriver
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2013
                            • Queensland

Originally posted by Ent View Post
                            We all have to accepted that with a modern turbo diesels there are legimate reasons why a manufacturer chooses a power level. I am sure MMAL would like to be class leader in power and/or economy, and should have the brains trust to tune their motors to get this. The fact they pick a level should tell us bad things will happen if we tweak above this.

My motor is untouched for this reason. Sure love more torque down low and happy to get any free lunch but would probably find things that never break will start breaking.

Or maybe MMAL traction control or towbar design teams tuned the motor
                            Tune within factory software boundaries and don't do extreme engine mods there is no reason for them to deny warranty ... some cowboys chase HP and Torque .. a reputable tuner will refuse their business so as not to harm their reputation ...

For many a decade there have been after market tunes or say hi spec models of each vehicle of which they mod'd with in safe parameter's from factory (HSV is a classic example)... same motors reaching higher spec's with in house mods and tunes and paying a fortune for ... hence the Tune shop's were created as an affordable option to the consumers ...

We tune motorcycles and have never had a knock back in 20yrs + with warranty ... tune for road then for track ... a customer knows there and then when they sign and are liable for

There is a grey cloud hovering with fear of loss of warranty and put the shoe on the other foot then see it from a manufacturers view ... they are in their right to deny a claim if it has actually cause of detination of their motor vehicles engine ... engineering is only limited to time frame of which they can only produce a product within time given ... then it's up to aftermarket operators own time and money to improve on this ... many hours of testing go into the reputable companies of which are world wide and back their products (you get what you pay for in the end). ....

last but not least at the end of the day it's up to the consumer to think and venture outside of the box ... do your research and choose wisely ...

NB
                            2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• littleriver
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2013
                              • Queensland

Originally posted by zoom View Post
                              They all do until you make a claim
                              you speak from personal experience ?

(had a mate that new a mate) first hand experience pls ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X