X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SWF
    • Feb 2015
    • Mandurah, Western Australia

Well, the boys at my local ARB fitted it, and have done quite a few duel battery systems on Pajeros. I have read a bit about the DD-DC charger systems and specifically asked about it and for the right components. I'm going back in to them today for something else so will ask again. I know very little about it all, so trusted them. Thanks for pointing it out. They can explain what they have done. Love the info from this forum!
    NX GLX Manual, Safari Snorkel, Redarc BCDC Charger and Dual Battery System, Long Ranger Auxiliary Tank, Coupletec, Rhino Roof Bars

Comment

• SWF
      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Slo78u View Post
      When you post the pictures in your post use the [img] picture of cool pajero [/img] that you can highlight and copy from your photo bucket account when looking at the picture.
      Umm, okay. I'm new to this. Looks like I need an education! Will try and see if I can figure this out. Thanks!
      NX GLX Manual, Safari Snorkel, Redarc BCDC Charger and Dual Battery System, Long Ranger Auxiliary Tank, Coupletec, Rhino Roof Bars

Comment

• vladguan
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by SWF View Post
        Umm, okay. I'm new to this. Looks like I need an education! Will try and see if I can figure this out. Thanks!
        basically, once you have uploaded a photo to Photobucket, click on it and it will be displayed in its own page. To the right of the picture is a table of sort with labels on the left and various links on the right. Click in the link with the label Direct which will copy the link to memory. You then go back to here and then type [IMG] followed by Ctrl+V followed by [/IMG]

Ctrl+V pastes the link you copied to memory between the [IMG] and [/IMG] tag.

If you don't copy and paste just the direct link then the photo won't appear. Just try one and if it does not work, one of us will quote your post with the correction for you to see.
        Please call me Vlad.
        -----------------------
        MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2014
          • Wellington,New Zealand

click that button then paste your image address obtained in the above thread in the little box that pops up!Any online pic library works,eg flickr etc.You can use the same button to display any other pic on the web
          2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
          BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

Well, the boys at my local ARB fitted it, and have done quite a few duel battery systems on Pajeros. I have read a bit about the DD-DC charger systems and specifically asked about it and for the right components. I'm going back in to them today for something else so will ask again. I know very little about it all, so trusted them. Thanks for pointing it out. They can explain what they have done. Love the info from this forum!

This is a quote from a thread by stevemc181 and will apply to your vehicle

"Specifically for vehicles with a variable voltage alternator without a canbus system like the Prado etc. These have been around for quite a while now in one form or another.
            Pretty sure the Paj alternator is also tied into the Canbus system and is not suited to this method of raising the Voltage output.

Edit: Found this snippet from a TJM release:
            Some vehicles released in late 2010 onwards with common rail diesel and petrol engines have variable voltage alternators that are on the vehicle CANBUS. These alternators vary output based on driving conditions at the time. The range of voltage can be between 12.3V and 15V For this reason, the alternator may not charge a dual or multi auxilary battery bank at all times, and may apply too high a voltage for the auxliary battery chemistry type at other times.
            Known vehicles with this style of alternator - Nissan Navara D40, R51 Pathfinder 2011 onwards V6 Diesel only. Hyundai Santa Fe 2010 +, Range Rover 4 2011 +, Ford Ranger 2011 +, Pajero 2012 +, Mazda BT-50 2011 + and Land Rover Disco 4, Isuzu D-Max 2012.
            "

I had the simple Redarc system on my old troopy..worked fine. My NW pajero requires a dc/dc charger..
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• SWF
              • Feb 2015

Okay, so the story goes something like this. As my Pajero's alternator is temperature controlled, not computer controlled, the current set up should be okay. If I wanted to run a fridge full time for a year, then the DCDC charger is the only option. Apparently the guy who installed mine has the same set up on his new Prado as is currently on mine. As I've said before, I don't know enough about it to question the technical stuff, but am more than willing to learn. Am I being taken for a ride here? Should I insist on the DCDC charger? Gut instinct says yes, but I need more than gut instinct to back myself.

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2014
                • Wellington,New Zealand

Okay, so the story goes something like this. As my Pajero's alternator is temperature controlled, not computer controlled, the current set up should be okay. If I wanted to run a fridge full time for a year, then the DCDC charger is the only option. Apparently the guy who installed mine has the same set up on his new Prado as is currently on mine. As I've said before, I don't know enough about it to question the technical stuff, but am more than willing to learn. Am I being taken for a ride here? Should I insist on the DCDC charger? Gut instinct says yes, but I need more than gut instinct to back myself.
                i guess all you can do is monitor the voltage of the second battery?DCDC is less efficient and more costly???
                2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
                BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• geopaj
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Adelaide

I would argue otherwise... My NT uses a simple Redarc isolator.(with a 'wet' lead acid deep cycle battery). It has always worked perfectly.

The other ting to consider is the charging amperage - I'm yet to find a DC-DC charger that has a comparable output amperage to a modern alternator (this means that the DC-DC charger will take longer to recharge an aux battery, compared to using a simple isolator and the vehicle's alternator.

Of course, this if the aux battery is not mounted under the bonet (ie in a camper) then voltage drop needs to be considered and, thus, a DC-DC charger may be necessary.
                  Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Dicko1
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
                    I would argue otherwise... My NT uses a simple Redarc isolator.(with a 'wet' lead acid deep cycle battery). It has always worked perfectly.

The other ting to consider is the charging amperage - I'm yet to find a DC-DC charger that has a comparable output amperage to a modern alternator (this means that the DC-DC charger will take longer to recharge an aux battery, compared to using a simple isolator and the vehicle's alternator.

Of course, this if the aux battery is not mounted under the bonet (ie in a camper) then voltage drop needs to be considered and, thus, a DC-DC charger may be necessary.
                    Yours is not a smart alternator.....
                    Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• SWF
                      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
                      i guess all you can do is monitor the voltage of the second battery?DCDC is less efficient and more costly???
                      About another $600 for the DCDC, but I'm willing to pay if it means I'm not stuck in the middle of no-where with no fridge and no start. I'm led to believe the DCDC does take longer to charge, but does that really matter? I'm confused.

Comment

• SWF
                        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by geopaj View Post

Yes, my battery is under the bonnet. Should be photos in a previous post, but I'm not sure I've uploaded them correctly.

Comment

• SWF
                          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                          Yours is not a smart alternator.....
                          So, Dicko, should I insist on the DCDC charger?

Comment

• SWF
                            • Feb 2015

Conundrum sorted. Current set up incorrect and will now be changed. Took me calling Redarc directly, and then insisting that the fitter do the same, before I was listened to. Oh, also discovered alternator not temp controlled at all. Thanks Mark from Redarc!

On another note, anyone had issues with the centre diff warning light on their dash? Happened three days in a row now, regardless of whether 2H or 4H, but always on wet roads. Going into Mitsubishi tomorrow to go on the laptop to discover the warning code. Just curious if anyone had had any experience.

Cheers!!!

Comment

• Dicko1
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2014
                              • Cairns, FNQ

Conundrum sorted. Current set up incorrect and will now be changed. Took me calling Redarc directly, and then insisting that the fitter do the same, before I was listened to. Oh, also discovered alternator not temp controlled at all. Thanks Mark from Redarc!

On another note, anyone had issues with the centre diff warning light on their dash? Happened three days in a row now, regardless of whether 2H or 4H, but always on wet roads. Going into Mitsubishi tomorrow to go on the laptop to discover the warning code. Just curious if anyone had had any experience.

Cheers!!!
                              Happy days...Better to get it right at the beginning than spend time and money chasing issues later..
                              Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• SWF
                                • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                                Happy days...Better to get it right at the beginning than spend time and money chasing issues later..
                                My thoughs exactly, Dicko.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X