• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ericb
    • Oct 2017
    • Brisbane

USP ports for rear passengers

Hi Guys,

I would like to install a dual USB port outlet for the second row passengers in a NX for the kids to charge phones / iPads etc. The obvious choice of location is the rear of the drivers centre console box. My issues are the surface is not completely flat to mount a plate of any description, and I don't know what is in behind there and how much room there is.

Has anyone come up with any neat solutions?
    Last edited by ericb; 16-11-17, 12:29 PM.
  • Axis
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2011
    • Highett Vic

I installed a Narva double USB port. Tapped into the power for the cigarette socket in the console between the seats. It won't charge 2 iPads at once due to max current.
    Attached Files
    07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• ericb
      • Oct 2017
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by Axis View Post
      I installed a Narva double USB port. Tapped into the power for the cigarette socket in the console between the seats. It won't charge 2 iPads at once due to max current.
      Cheers Axis,

My car has the rear aircon controls where you have mounted yours. I would have to mount below it. Guess I'll pull it apart and see how much room is there.

What amperage is the narva socket?

Eric

Comment

• batteoui
        • Apr 2015
        • Casablanca Morocco

I've done exactly that. Just go ahead there is plenty of room. Drilled a 25mm hole where I put a narva style 2 usb outlets. Just pull the AC rear control out they come off easy

Comment

• ericb
          • Oct 2017
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by batteoui View Post
          I've done exactly that. Just go ahead there is plenty of room. Drilled a 25mm hole where I put a narva style 2 usb outlets. Just pull the AC rear control out they come off easy
          Thanks for the heads-up. I would have pulled the entire console out! Sounds like it could be a straightforward easy job.

Eric

Comment

• kiwi1973
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2012
            • New Zealand

The issue is though that you need to wire up to something with a decent wire size to get enough charging current. If you just hook into standard wiring that goes to a cigarette lighter it will work, but will be a bit sub-par. I'm doing the same thing right now, but in need I'll run an all new higher current wire through from the battery. Yet if doing that the charging point will remain live with ignition off, which is not ideal. May be able to get around this by hooking via a relay to an wire that is only live with the ignition on. Not sure if this is the most efficient way to do this, but should work.
            2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Comment

• m_and_m
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2010
              • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

I used a car charger from Kogan

Simply plugs into 12v socket inside the centre console.
              Being mounted on the side and slightly forwards means the kids don’t bump/break the cables.
              Attached using heavy duty velcro from Bunnings. Works perfectly and can be removed if necessary.

2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
              2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
              Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• NFT5
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Canberra

Originally posted by kiwi1973 View Post
                The issue is though that you need to wire up to something with a decent wire size to get enough charging current. If you just hook into standard wiring that goes to a cigarette lighter it will work, but will be a bit sub-par. I'm doing the same thing right now, but in need I'll run an all new higher current wire through from the battery. Yet if doing that the charging point will remain live with ignition off, which is not ideal. May be able to get around this by hooking via a relay to an wire that is only live with the ignition on. Not sure if this is the most efficient way to do this, but should work.
                Why? Most cigarette lighter type power sockets are capable of handling up to 100W, which at 12V is a shade over 8A. USB standards are 0.5A and 0.9A at 5V so any power socket is well capable of delivering the current necessary. Even USB3.1 ups the current to 3A, still at 5V.

To run from the power socket to your USB charging point anything bigger than about 22AWG will be more than enough, 18AWG if running two charging sockets.
                Chris

Comment

• SWF
                  • Feb 2015
                  • Mandurah, Western Australia

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
                  I used a car charger from Kogan

Simply plugs into 12v socket inside the centre console.
                  Being mounted on the side and slightly forwards means the kids don’t bump/break the cables.
                  Attached using heavy duty velcro from Bunnings. Works perfectly and can be removed if necessary.

This looks easy enough - even for a girl like me! Lol
                  NX GLX Manual, Safari Snorkel, Redarc BCDC Charger and Dual Battery System, Long Ranger Auxiliary Tank, Coupletec, Rhino Roof Bars

Comment

• m_and_m
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2010
                    • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by SWF View Post
                    This looks easy enough - even for a girl like me! Lol
                    Keep it simple is the rule.
                    2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                    2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
                    Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• Axis
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2011
                      • Highett Vic

Originally posted by ericb View Post
                      Cheers Axis,

My car has the rear aircon controls where you have mounted yours. I would have to mount below it. Guess I'll pull it apart and see how much room is there.

What amperage is the narva socket?

Eric
                      I think it is 2.5A. If I was doing it again I'd install 2 of these.
                      07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• batteoui
                        • Apr 2015
                        • Casablanca Morocco

Hello,
                        Here is my setup. I've put one in front, near the cup holders and one in the rear under the rear A/C controls. Works great !
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	20171118_152916.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	981044

Name:	20171118_152956.jpg
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	981045

Name:	20171118_153014.jpg
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	981046

Comment

• kiwi1973
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2012
                          • New Zealand

Originally posted by NFT5 View Post
                          Why? Most cigarette lighter type power sockets are capable of handling up to 100W, which at 12V is a shade over 8A. USB standards are 0.5A and 0.9A at 5V so any power socket is well capable of delivering the current necessary. Even USB3.1 ups the current to 3A, still at 5V.

To run from the power socket to your USB charging point anything bigger than about 22AWG will be more than enough, 18AWG if running two charging sockets.
                          After giving further consideration to this I take your point that a cigarette lighter socket should have sufficient wiring capacity. However, I have noticed that charging my phone or tablet is painfully slow from my cigarette lighter whereas if I plug the same cigarette socket to USB adapter into a cigarette socket connected directly to my auxillary battery with robust wiring my phone/tablet charges far more rapidly. Recalling the issues some people have trying to run a 12v frig thru the standard wiring to the cigarette lighter I figured the issue came down to wiring being the limiting factor. Of course the issue affecting 12v frig's is somewhat different, as that has to do mainly work voltage drop.
                          2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Comment

• jimako
                            • Jul 2007
                            • Hoppers Crossing VIC

Originally posted by kiwi1973 View Post
                            After giving further consideration to this I take your point that a cigarette lighter socket should have sufficient wiring capacity. However, I have noticed that charging my phone or tablet is painfully slow from my cigarette lighter whereas if I plug the same cigarette socket to USB adapter into a cigarette socket connected directly to my auxillary battery with robust wiring my phone/tablet charges far more rapidly. Recalling the issues some people have trying to run a 12v frig thru the standard wiring to the cigarette lighter I figured the issue came down to wiring being the limiting factor. Of course the issue affecting 12v frig's is somewhat different, as that has to do mainly work voltage drop.

The charge quality you get to your USB devices will mainly depend on the quality of USB adapters, USB sockets and USB cables used, Not much to do with the wiring up to the Cig Socket.
                            2013 MY13 VRX

Comment

• Kingbrown
                              Valued Member
                              • Apr 2012
                              • Port Augusta - SA

A lot of useful information can be found here:

Note the discussion about the voltages that are applied to the data lines affecting the charge rate.
                              2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X