• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Valron
    • May 2019
    • Fitzgibbon, Brisbane

ASAX v Outlander towing

So guru's I have a question, I have an MY15.5 Diesel 4wd ASX. If both the ASX and Outlander are built on the same platform, why then, is the ASX rated to less braked towing than the Outlander?
    ASX 1400Kg Braked, Outlander 2000Kg. They both have the same engine, trans and running gear, what is the issue?
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Valron View Post
    So guru's I have a question, I have an MY15.5 Diesel 4wd ASX. If both the ASX and Outlander are built on the same platform, why then, is the ASX rated to less braked towing than the Outlander?
    ASX 1400Kg Braked, Outlander 2000Kg. They both have the same engine, trans and running gear, what is the issue?
    I'll take a guess that the Outlander is a larger, heavier and more solidly constructed vehicle.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

As above, and also the Outie probably has a longer wheelbase, which would mean more stability when towing heavier loads.

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Higher rear spring rates in the Outlander?

What is the rear axle load of both vehicles?

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Valron
          • May 2019
          • Fitzgibbon, Brisbane

Just read the spec's for the new Outlander and the braked towing capacity has dropped to 1600Kg.

The above doesn't show the value for my vehicle because I have the 4WD diesel.

Comment

• Valron
            • May 2019
            • Fitzgibbon, Brisbane

Below are my axle capacities, how does one derive towing capacity from that?
            Axle capacity front: 1120
            Axle capacity rear: 1000
            Tow ball 140 is that down force on the ball?

OL:
            Axle capacity front: 1150
            Axle capacity rear: 1250
            Tow Ball 200
            Last edited by Valron; 21-06-19, 09:30 PM.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2016
              • Greater Sydney

AFX come in 4WD?

Comment

• Valron
                • May 2019
                • Fitzgibbon, Brisbane

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                AFX come in 4WD?
                ASX yes but only until the MY18 model.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2016
                  • Greater Sydney

ASX yes but only until the MY18 model.
                  https://www.goauto.com.au/pricing/mi....html#security

WOW.

Sheesh. I had no idea.

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

Below are my axle capacities, how does one derive towing capacity from that?
                    Ultimate capacity, we don't. You asked about the differences.

Axle capacity front: 1120
                    Axle capacity rear: 1000
                    Tow ball 140 is that down force on the ball?

OL:
                    Axle capacity front: 1150
                    Axle capacity rear: 1250
                    Tow Ball 200
                    Yes, 140kg is down force on the tow ball.

GVM is generally less than combined axle loads, but we'll use combined axle loads as a basis.

ASX combined load is 2120 kg.
                    Outlander is 2400 kg.

GVM is one guide to the ability of a vehicle to tow a load - in some markets, the maximum towing mass is calculated as a percentage of the GVM of the vehicle - the twin-cab towing wars we're currently seeing in this country make a mockery of those principles.

The Outlander's combined axle loads is 280kg higher than ASX - that's more than 10% higher, indicating (by some measures) that Outlander is able to tow at least 10% more than ASX.

Here in Australia, we also have an irrational idea that down force on the tow ball should be 10% of the trailer mass. Tow ball down force is added to the rear axle load, so the Outlander's 250kg extra rear axle capacity can cope with more tow ball down force, so Mitsubishi Motors Australia are more comfortable rating it to tow a heavier load in Australia.

Bottom line, Outlander is a larger and heavier vehicle, rated to tow more.
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• erad
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Cooma NSW

For what it is worth, our Outie is the base model (ZJ model,2L engine, manual transmission) and it has a lower tow rating than the 4WD model. I cannot remember the difference, but I think it is 1800 kg vs 2000 kg. The 4WD models have a 2.4 L engine so possibly they also take into account the engine size.

Comment

• Valron
                        • May 2019
                        • Fitzgibbon, Brisbane

Thanks to everyone who responded, really appreciated.
                        I never bought it with the intention of pulling stumps, I just needed a capable 4WD, something that could go off the beaten track should the need arise.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X