• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jerbear
    • May 2018
    • Sunshine coast

Loss of power

I drive pajero NT and occasionally experience engine management lite and Limp mode when towing my 2 ton van,mostly occurs going uphill but has happened on flat going 93Klms. Failed about 5 times in 100 k , have done 280K goes well without towing van.2 Mitsubishi dealers have, replaced EGR valve, gaskets and pipes, air flow sensor, boost sensor , swapped VGTSolenoid , and solenoid hose . Codes 1299 , 2413 , and fail with no code . Appreciate any ideas on this intermittent problem
  • jkwpajero
    • Jun 2008
    • Young, NSW

P1299 Cylinder Head Over Temperature Protection Active. I can't find a MM specific code for P2413 but it may be a generic code for Faulty Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve harness is open or shorted Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve circuit poor electrical connection.

JamesW
    2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

I think you're going to need to do a lot of the diagnosis on this yourself - your Mitsubishi dealers clearly don't know how to fix this, and they're simply throwing parts at it, at your expense.

First, buy an Ultragauge or similar so you can monitor more of what's going on. For less than $200 it can save you thousands of dollars spent at a mechanic.

Set it up to monitor boost, EGR and throttle position, and get used to what these normally do in your Pajero, so you can hopefully spot what's going wrong when limp mode comes along.

While you're waiting for that to arrive, some other things to consider:

Low boost can be due to gunk build-up in your inlet manifold partially blocking the port for the MAP sensor. NTs are supposed to have an improved manifold that doesn't have this problem, but it might be worth having your manifold cleaned - if it hasn't been done in 280k km it's worth doing whether it's part of the problem or not.

If your EGR valve failed due to carbon build-up then a similar build-up could be affecting operation of the vanes in your turbo. I'm not sure how to test if they're moving freely, but hopefully somebody else can chime in with some information.

Limp mode with no codes could be a transmission overheating problem. Do you use manual mode when towing? Unfortunately, these transmissions are not smart enough to tow your van in "D", where they'll hang on to too high a gear, causing excess slip in the torque converter which generates heat and can lead to premature breakdown of your transmission fluid. I recommend adding transmission temperature to your Ultragauge (or similar) to ensure you can keep an eye on what's happening.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by jkwpajero View Post
        P1299 Cylinder Head Over Temperature Protection Active.
        Where did you find that? I found P1299 Low Boost:

For me, P2413 came up as EGR Position error, which I would guess is why Mitsubishi replaced the EGR motor.

NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Muzza
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Nsw

Originally posted by Jerbear View Post
          I drive pajero NT and occasionally experience engine management lite and Limp mode when towing my 2 ton van,mostly occurs going uphill but has happened on flat going 93Klms. Failed about 5 times in 100 k , have done 280K goes well without towing van.2 Mitsubishi dealers have, replaced EGR valve, gaskets and pipes, air flow sensor, boost sensor , swapped VGTSolenoid , and solenoid hose . Codes 1299 , 2413 , and fail with no code . Appreciate any ideas on this intermittent problem
          Check your intake air temp, I have experienced the same derate, which was excess air temp, IE the intercooler wasn’t getting enough air flow, the NT on is real fussy on air flow and bull bars, driving lights etc etc, even number plate change air flow, I solved my problem by cutting extra holes in the intercooler guard, changing number plate size.
          Muzza
          2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
          2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
          2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2016
            • Greater Sydney

Pajero P1299 is definitely low boost.

Could be pin hole in a hose.

Why can't the codes for ALL manufactures be the same.

Ford use P1299 for.... fault code P1299 is a manufacturer specific code that is defined by Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln as “Cylinder Head Over-temperature Protection Active”, and on these applications, P1299 is set when the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) detects an engine overheating condition via a dedicated CHT (Cylinder Head ...Jul 13, 2016
            Last edited by BruceandBobbi; 06-01-20, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• Xrsteve
              • Apr 2018
              • Victoria

If it happens under heavy load ie towing van then I’d start looking at transmission temps AI temps etcs.

Low boost code is thrown whenever the engine is in limp mode.

Try doing the EGR resistor mod if you think the eEGR is playing up.

I don’t run one at all and once the OHM resistor mod is in place the EGR does not function.

Many things to play around with I chased a few codes for about a week every day. Eventually I pulled all the air hoses off and replaced them deleted the codes and all is well.

I think your issue is going to be temp related somewhere

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2016
                • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by Xrsteve View Post

Low boost code is thrown whenever the engine is in limp mode.
                Don't think that is correct.

P1298 over boost also causes a limp mode. You don't get them both together.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2016
                  • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by jkwpajero View Post

That was done way back by some bloke called GOODSY. Don't think he has posted for years. Some of the codes are manufacture specific which seems useless.

This may help.

Comment

• Xrsteve
                    • Apr 2018
                    • Victoria

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                    Don't think that is correct.

P1298 over boost also causes a limp mode. You don't get them both together.
                    Obviously! Your not going to get over boost and low boost at the same time.

Limp mode= engine runs in low boost is what I said.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2016
                      • Greater Sydney

Obviously! Your not going to get over boost and low boost at the same time.

Limp mode= engine runs in low boost is what I said.

This is what you said Low boost code is thrown whenever the engine is in limp mode.

Low boost code P1299 is only thrown if you have/had low boost. You will have P1298 if you have over boost.

There are other codes that also throw limp modes.

Comment

• Xrsteve
                        • Apr 2018
                        • Victoria

This is what you said Low boost code is thrown whenever the engine is in limp mode.

Low boost code P1299 is only thrown if you have/had low boost. You will have P1298 if you have over boost.

There are other codes that also throw limp modes.
                        When the engine goes into limp home made it will only run in low boost! And that code will be thrown.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2016
                          • Greater Sydney

When the engine goes into limp home made it will only run in low boost! And that code will be thrown.

Sorry but that's not correct. We had a time of over boost on our Pajero. Yes the engine went into limp mode. Code shown was P1298 over boost.

P1060 MAP sensor code will throw a limp mode. You don't get a P1299 code with it.

Comment

• Xrsteve
                            • Apr 2018
                            • Victoria

Sorry but that's not correct. We had a time of over boost on our Pajero. Yes the engine went into limp mode. Code shown was P1298 over boost.

P1060 MAP sensor code will throw a limp mode. You don't get a P1299 code with it.
                            The point I am trying to make is! When the engine is in limp home mode it will only run at a low boost. That is what limo home mode is tuned to do.

I don’t care about what codes your car or my car or anyone else car has that caused limp mode. My point is when the car is in limp home mode because of any number of reasons the ECU will not allow the vehicle to run low boost and not its normal PSI.

I’ve spent all my life working as an engineer mate I’m well aware of how it works

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X