• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xrsteve
    • Apr 2018
    • Victoria

Variable Geometry Control Solenoid Valve Circuit

Hello members,

Anyone of you guys thrown a P0047 code (Variable Geometry Control Solenoid Valve Circuit Low Input)

The car has pretty much 0 boost. It was going well and has thrown it a couple of days after I did an intake decarb. It was running great for a few days felt really strong after made a big difference.

Anyway I’ve checked all hoses to and from etc all appear good and connected correct.

Thought I’d ask if anyone has had similar before I go and purchase a new one

Cheer steve
  • DibbyDibbyDJ
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2019
    • Victoria

Personally id be double checking the hoses first.
    2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

The online Workshop Manual lists how to diagnose the cause of a P0047 Fault Code.
      It is either a fault with the VGT solenoid or the VGT actuator or both.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Xrsteve
        • Apr 2018
        • Victoria

Already checked the hoses.

I have had a read of the workshop manual and will diagnose it today. I just thought I’d ask the question, if anyone has had similar.

Comment

• spot01
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Adelaide

As it has played up soon after having it in bits, most likely something to do with the work, rather than something else coincidentally failing at the same time.

Have you checked the integrity of all hoses disturbed during the work? Pin hole leaks can be had to spot in small hoses, for example. When old hoses are disturbed, wierd things can happen!
          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Xrsteve
            • Apr 2018
            • Victoria

I’m going to replace all hoses and see what happens from there.

It sounds like there is an air leak coming from the variable geometry actuator.

It appears to capable of adjustments with the nut. The leak has only started since the issue has.

Comment

• Xrsteve
              • Apr 2018
              • Victoria

So today I disconnected the swirl control valve solenoid and it’s back to normal.

Full boost pulling like a train again!. It’s threw a P2009 which mean the circuit is low, I expected that so I’m guessing the valve is cooked and it makes the ECU kill the boost.

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011

Hi Steve,

I seem to recall reading sometime ago about the swirl control valve getting chunked up and not operating correctly. Might pay to check the physical range of movement before replacing components.

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Xrsteve
                  • Apr 2018
                  • Victoria

I’ve just had it all part and cleaned it.

Does anyone have a picture of the hoses coming from the swirl control valve and the other airline up to the control valve solenoid.

I can’t work it out off the drawing which hose goes where on the solenoid so I’m hoping someone can give me a heads up off their vehicle

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Xrsteve View Post
                    I’ve just had it all part and cleaned it.

Does anyone have a picture of the hoses coming from the swirl control valve and the other airline up to the control valve solenoid.

I can’t work it out off the drawing which hose goes where on the solenoid so I’m hoping someone can give me a heads up off their vehicle
                    So have you removed the intake manifold and cleaned the manifold a swirl control valves or just the actuator that controls the swirl control valves.

OJ.

Comment

• Scooby
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2011
                      • Ipswich, Qld.

Sorry to take this thread off track, but, what do the swirl control valves do?
                      Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

• Xrsteve
                        • Apr 2018
                        • Victoria

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                        So have you removed the intake manifold and cleaned the manifold a swirl control valves or just the actuator that controls the swirl control valves.

OJ.
                        I cleaned it all manifold,intake, swirl control and removed egr. I already had the resistor mod and blanking plate, but I’ve decided to remove it completely.

Comment

• Xrsteve
                          • Apr 2018
                          • Victoria

Originally posted by Scooby View Post
                          Sorry to take this thread off track, but, what do the swirl control valves do?
                          In a nutshell they create swirl/turbulence of air in the intake at low RPM by closing in theory creating more torque. 17 years as an Aircraft engineer tells me it’s not req and MM engineers eventually got rid of them in the newer models

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011

Hi Steve,

I am ex LAME myself, there is a few of us on this forum.

Thread concerning swirl valves.

Seems there is no problem with disconnecting swirl valves as long as swirl valves are fixed in the open position.

You said you have completely removed the EGR valve rather than just have it permanently closed.
                            So what have you done with the manifold where the EGR connects?
                            What have you done with the electrical connection to the EGR motor?

OJ.

Comment

• Xrsteve
                              • Apr 2018
                              • Victoria

The exhaust manifold has been blanked with 6mm stainless and a new gasket. I have run a crossover pipe from the cooler inlet and outlet.

The egr valve is still in place, with a 5mm aluminium blanking plate on and the resistor mod which tricks it into thinking it’s closed anyway.

I think I have the vacuum lines to the swirl control valve around the wrong way perhaps.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X