• nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Downunder35m View Post
    Does not sound like good quality to me
    Since you cut the connector off, keep it for a proper DC converter
    Oi! Stop reading my mind!

NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• buckster
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

I used this one. I wired it up but could not get the phone to charge. I had 5 volts on pins 1 and 4 but iPhone would not charge.

Luckily I too purchased the one listed earlier in the thread Witt he moulded plug. Hat one would work when connected to power. So I cut the moulded plug apart and found that pins 2 and 3 were bridged. So I ridged mine on the wall plate and presto phone started charging. The phone must sense that pins are ridged to put it into a charge mode.
      Gold VRX Family Pack, Genuine alloy bull bar, super cibie oscar +, Yokohama ATX

Comment

• Downunder35m
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2011
        • Near Melbourne

The bridge pins 2 and 3 threa are for the device to know there is no data connection.
        However, some devices need those open or bridged with a resistor of 100kOhm.
        Best option is always to use the cable that came with the device.
        It seems your device is one of the few that require special attention
        '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
        Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

• Gav2
          • May 2013
          • Brisbane

Hub alternative

These look like a nice tidy option once the steel is removed http://dx.com/p/panel-mount-motherbo...m-cable-186108

I wonder if anyone has replaced their cigarette lighter with these or has some detail on whether the panel holding the cigarette lighter at the back of the 'compartment'' in the NT model could be removed and replaced? Would make a nice tidy place for them.

Comment

• stevemc181
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2012
            • Thornlie/Perth

Anyone used either of these?

This one has 4 x 2.4amp USB Ports and a total of 48 watts, each individual port is 12 watt, so should charge an iPad nicely. I am thinking of buying one and just removing the cigarette lighter style connection and hard wiring it.

Something like this one below would be ideal, but it only has 1 amp ports http://www.baintech.com.au/baintech/...et-flush-mount

Just found this one also, cigarette lighter style with 2 x 12watt ports! http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/ipa...arger-two-port
            2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
            3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• schnitzel
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2009
              • Bendigo

narva make them as well, i've just fitted the usb outlet out of one of these

Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• stevemc181
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2012
                • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by schnitzel View Post
                narva make them as well, i've just fitted the usb outlet out of one of these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400482155...84.m1497.l2649
                They look great, had a bit of a look around the web, looks like they might be 2.5amp/12.5w per socket, this is ideal for what I want! Another link for just the USB ports.
                2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post
                  They look great, had a bit of a look around the web, looks like they might be 2.5amp/12.5w per socket, this is ideal for what I want! Another link for just the USB ports.
                  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NARVA-811...-/271256841364
                  Further down it says
                  Max. Output Current 2.5A DC (total)
                  Most of these will deliver max current from one (specific) port, or split that current across two i.e. for this unit, if both in use, you get 2.5A total. I had one that would charge my phone from the "high output" port, until I plugged something into the second port - then it wouldn't charge my phone any more.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• MSF
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2009
                    • Sydney, Northern Beaches

Connect it up via an inverter - Problem solved

Comment

• stevemc181
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2012
                      • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                      Further down it says

Most of these will deliver max current from one (specific) port, or split that current across two i.e. for this unit, if both in use, you get 2.5A total. I had one that would charge my phone from the "high output" port, until I plugged something into the second port - then it wouldn't charge my phone any more.

Ok looks like I am back to the original one I looked at, it has 2.4amp/12 watt on each port for simultaneous charge on all ports.
                      http://www.aleratec.com/quad-4-usb-i...4a-250247.html I'll buy a couple for front and rear when ready and then think about how to mount them after.

Comment

• Downunder35m
                        Valued Member
                        • Feb 2011
                        • Near Melbourne

Be aware that Apple uses a different system to determine the charging current than normal USB devices.
                        To get full power for charging normal devices rely on bridged data lines.
                        Apple needs different voltages on the data line to get the correct charging power, for example 2.1V on the data lines will give maximum charging amps.
                        Also many charger designed for Apple won't charge modern phones at all.
                        I had to modify a few chargers to disconnect the 2V supply on the data lines as they claimed to be universal.
                        Another nice solution I came across is to built double USB ports into unused switch covers.
                        You only need a reliable 5V supply with enough amps to spare, modifying a USB hub to suit is easy (if the thing can be opened that is).
                        '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
                        Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

• rogg
                          • Sep 2012
                          • Melbourne

I got one of these. Charges everything I have used. iPhone. Ipad. Samsung.

Then went and bout 6. One in every car. Gf. Brother. Parents. Easy. Works.

Can find them for $1 from china.
                          www.jonnorodd.com

Comment

• stevemc181
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2012
                            • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by rogg View Post
                            I got one of these. Charges everything I have used. iPhone. Ipad. Samsung.

Then went and bout 6. One in every car. Gf. Brother. Parents. Easy. Works.

Can find them for $1 from china.
                            This only has 1amp, so while suitable for iPad 2 and below, it won't be suitable for iPad 3 and above as the charge rate will be extremely slow. I have a 2.1 amp cig plug style that does the job ok, but want to add more ports in the front and back, so am after a multiport all in one.

Comment

• martialllaw
                              • Jan 2012
                              • Narangba

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post

Ok looks like I am back to the original one I looked at, it has 2.4amp/12 watt on each port for simultaneous charge on all ports.
                              http://www.aleratec.com/quad-4-usb-i...4a-250247.html I'll buy a couple for front and rear when ready and then think about how to mount them after.
                              stevemc181, Did you order one of these? if so where from as the shipping for the one in your link was over $80US (ouch)
                              2010 NT GLS, ARB Deluxe winch bar, GME TX3540 UHF, TJM battery tray, DBA T3 Disc's, Front & Rear Harop E-Lokers, AAA rear draw system, Anderson connector for AUX power, kumho mt51 265 / 70 / R 17, Bushskinz sliders and Intercooler/Sump/Transmition/Transfer case Bash Plates, Bilstein/Dobinson combo, 2x2m austrack-deluxe-vehicle-awning, Airtec Snorkel, Wetseat Covers front /rear + centre console cover, SPV EGR MOD Mk3.

Comment

• stevemc181
                                Valued Member
                                • Sep 2012
                                • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by martialllaw View Post
                                stevemc181, Did you order one of these? if so where from as the shipping for the one in your link was over $80US (ouch)
                                I haven't ordered one in yet, but when I do it will probably be this one: I prefer the lead on there as it will be easier to cut off and hardwire it in.
                                http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/16cc/ They have a couple of shipping options ranging from $18-$33. I havent bought from them before so unsure what they are like to deal with,

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X