• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johnnytheone
    • Nov 2017
    • Duncraig

Inlet manifold removal

G'day all. I'm looking at doing the tappets on my diesel and while I'm at it I plan to remove and clean the inlet manifold/EGR system. I'm just wondering if there are any traps or tricks involved. I'm allowing a day for the job based on my skill level (or lack thereof!). Thanks in advance, John
  • rgrubby
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2018
    • Wellington - NZ

Originally posted by Johnnytheone View Post
    G'day all. I'm looking at doing the tappets on my diesel and while I'm at it I plan to remove and clean the inlet manifold/EGR system. I'm just wondering if there are any traps or tricks involved. I'm allowing a day for the job based on my skill level (or lack thereof!). Thanks in advance, John

Hi John
    I did the same thing last year. Plenty of good advice out there. This thread has some details and links https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=60737
    I started about 8am and finished about 11pm (a couple of hours break to help with the kids before bed). I was working pretty slowly and spent a lot of time finding bolts I dropped onto the tray under the engine. Got a long magnetic pickup now!
    Notes:
    The bolts with springs that hold the intake manifold are a pain to put back in.
    I couldn't do the rear cylinder clearances as they were too far back past the boot opening. Maybe with different tools and more time I could have managed, but it was late by then.
    Make sure you turn the engine Clockwise when you rotate it. I found the easiest way was to remove the fan. There are four bolts holding it on. I used a 17mm spanner to hold the square fan mount on the back side and whatever size spanner it was for the bolts on the front. Once that's off, a 1/2 inch ratchet with a 32mm (I think) socket easily rotated the engine.

I also forgot to tighten a fuel rail line and got an engine fault when I restarted it. Without a scan tool, it would have taken me a while to figure that out.

Its a great job to do, I really enjoyed it.
    2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
    Working...
    X