• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 260DET
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2012
    • Brisbane

Trailer 'Weight Distribution Hitch'

After considering suspension advice from you helpful blokes I've decided to look at using a WDH for my tarmac towing needs. The downside to using a WDH seems to be that it does not like sharp entry/exit road conditions but I won't encounter such situations so not a problem.

But these WDH's can be expensive things so I've narrowed the search down to a Eaz Lift 270kg towball weight model which sells for around $550 with a standard shank. Thing is the Challenger's tow bar has a dropped shank so I'm wondering if anyone here has used a WDH on the Challenger. Spent hours searching with no luck as to details of fitment, my trailer's tow ball height is supposed to be 460mm, pretty low.
    Richard.......MY12 silver base model auto rear driver tow truck and shopping trolley. Bilsteins, Firestone rear air bags, HR towbar, Scangauge II and aftermarket reverse camera/GPS navigation unit. SOLD
  • mudguard1
    • Nov 2012
    • Sanctuary Point

Hi Richard.
    I have towed a 2 tonne fully loaded Off road caravan many thousands of Klm's around Ozz and would never leave home without a WDH Fitted . I use a Hayman Reese 250kg Hitch which is marked : Max hitch ( Ball ) weight with 2 bars 250kg .
    Max gross trailer weight 4545 kg. The offroad van was very heavy from what i had previous towed and had a 180kg ball weight and i remember going down the NSW south coast for a short shake down run with a 1999 Challenger ( Leaf Spring model and i still remember how the van was pushing down and lifting the front wheels what felt like almost off the road and steering was ridiculously light . Bought the WDH and had it set up properly and the next trip was a total turn around , as the whole rig was so much more stable and even felt like the Tug was so much better in handling . Yes they are not cheap but still cheaper than a full suspension upgrade which i find is not needed for the type of touring i do . What weight trailer will you be towing ? if it is over 1 tonne fully loaded and has a ball weight of over 100kg then i would say , yes you do need a WDH. Hope this helps , Regards Bruce.
    White 2012, Automatic base model, full alloy front Bar , bonnet protect, headlight protect, rear park sensors, rear dust deflector , 3 tonne tow bar, window tint, floor mats, alloy spare wheel. Tow a 2 tonne poptop caravan with HR load levellers .

Comment

• 260DET
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2012
      • Brisbane

Thanks Bruce, total trailer weight would be 1750kg max.
      Richard.......MY12 silver base model auto rear driver tow truck and shopping trolley. Bilsteins, Firestone rear air bags, HR towbar, Scangauge II and aftermarket reverse camera/GPS navigation unit. SOLD

Comment

• ssuterus
        • Jan 2012
        • Lake Macquarie

I use one of these from Repco for my camper, cost about $120 and works great for what i need.
        08 NS VRX DiD

Comment

• 260DET
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2012
          • Brisbane

That's certainly a good price, probably a bit light for my application plus the PB needs a bit more drop to suit my Tilta trailer. Thanks for the info though

Comment

• greig
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2010
            • kanwal

I tow a small offroad van ( Adventure Trek AT10 ) with a tare of 1250 kg ( fully loaded 1500 kg ) and a towball weight of 150 kg and I certainly don't need ( or want ) a WDH...

Only settles the rear susp approx. 30mm, and tows very well ( I don't go above 120 k/ph though !! )

But with a towball weight approaching 200 kg ( or more ), then that may be a different matter....

Comment

• bigdave
              • Apr 2010
              • Adelaide SA

Originally posted by greig View Post
              I tow a small offroad van ( Adventure Trek AT10 ) with a tare of 1250 kg ( fully loaded 1500 kg ) and a towball weight of 150 kg and I certainly don't need ( or want ) a WDH...

Only settles the rear susp approx. 30mm, and tows very well ( I don't go above 120 k/ph though !! )

But with a towball weight approaching 200 kg ( or more ), then that may be a different matter....
              Fully agree Greig.
              Towed my Jayco Hawk half way across the country, over sand dunes and through boggy tracks with a ball weight of around 150-160kg (due to all the extra crap I have loaded on the drawbar, and a fully loaded cargo area in the back of the wagon. Never used a WDH with the Challenger, even though I do actually own one (from my old car). The rig always looks pretty level and a WDH just adds more weight to the GVM (which I am close to anyway), and just more things to connect up each time you hitch up.
              Challenger takes the ball weight very well. Love this car!
              Cheers,
              Bigdave

Parted ways with my 2010 PB Manual after 9 years of reliable motoring...
              Icom 440 Remote UHF, 130AH AGM in rear, Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake Controller, Bridgestone D697s, HR Towbar, Kings KCRS-23 springs / Pedders 5899. Single axle 18' Caravan with muddies & good clearance - ATM 2.5T/Ball weight 250kg

Comment

• beagle1
                • Feb 2013
                • SEQ

2012 PB auto : I've put air bags in the rear coils, and use the lighter ezi WDH to tow a 2.5t off road van with a ball weight around 200kg plus a loaded rear compartment. It's as smooth as when towing and handles the load well. The tow ball hitch plate was raised on the van drawbar from the bottom to the top of the rails to help ground clearance of the tension bars. The ezi lift hitch can limit the turn clearance on some units, so check that out as well. I've had to grind a lot off the top plate that has the extra holes as they were hitting the draw bar on full lock and the chains can foul on the bars. I'll be getting them relocated to sort that out. You may get away with airbags only and a much smaller hitch.
                2012 auto, Chip-It, Firestone air bags, Double tranny coolers.

Comment

• 260DET
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2012
                  • Brisbane

Wonder if the 2WD has softer springs than the 4WD? My 2WD is noticeably soft, just sitting on the back floor with the hatch up makes the back go down. There is no doubt that something is needed even with a modest towball weight.

At present I'm in the process of making sure what WDH I get will be suitable which probably will have to involve physical inspections, for once online is not good enough.

Comment

• greig
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2010
                    • kanwal

Originally posted by 260DET View Post
                    Wonder if the 2WD has softer springs than the 4WD? My 2WD is noticeably soft, just sitting on the back floor with the hatch up makes the back go down. There is no doubt that something is needed even with a modest towball weight.

At present I'm in the process of making sure what WDH I get will be suitable which probably will have to involve physical inspections, for once online is not good enough.
                    I would be getting some air bags 1st, then if needed get the WDH !!

You may find you're happy with just the air bags !!

It's possible the 2wd springs are softer....no way of telling without part numbers ??

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

While air bags may help to level out the ride, the weight distribution won't change significantly. If the ball weight is unloading the front axle to the point that the steering is noticeably lighter then a weight distributing hitch should be used - to re-distribute some of the ball weight to the front axle.
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• greig
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2010
                        • kanwal

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                        While air bags may help to level out the ride, the weight distribution won't change significantly. If the ball weight is unloading the front axle to the point that the steering is noticeably lighter then a weight distributing hitch should be used - to re-distribute some of the ball weight to the front axle.
                        Yep, you are right.......but for a ball weight below 200 kg, I'd try the air bags 1st !!

Comment

• 260DET
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2012
                          • Brisbane

Went to Aranda Towbars at Enoggera this morning to look at Eaz Lift WDH's, very helpful people. The thing is with a WDH the towball height should be able to be lowered to better suit the Tinka car trailer so that is the preferred option at present. If things work out a suitable WDH should be around $300 so that is not too bad.

Not only is the 2WD soft at the back I suspect that it has a higher ride height than the 4WD too, given the height dimensions Old Jack posted a while ago and the fact that the towbar hitch is too high. Makes life interesting, too b interesting.

Comment

• 260DET
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2012
                            • Brisbane

No WDH for me, can't get one that suits the Tinka trailer. But Aranda were able to supply an adjustable drop hitch so at least the ball height suits the trailer now.

Looks like rear air bags are the next thing to get.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X