• Show
Clear All
  • Rich
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Canberra

Tow Bar hitch

Hi,
    I am looking for a better tow bar hitch.

I have an NS where the stupid designed spare tyre is in the way.

The hitch I have is one that came with the MM towbar. It is one of those that are at 45 degrees which can not be reversed.

I want an L shaped hitch where the ball would be higher off the ground.

I have seen a few other Pajeros with hitches (ie the tow bar tongue) on other Pajs (not NS model) where the bit that the ball sits on is nearly level with the shaft,

Does any one have one of these and if so where did they get it. I rang MM spare parts but they would not search for one unless I gave them a VIN number which I don;t have.

Richard
  • Sandgroper
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Perth

Rich, you can have a custom one made for about $120 from a towbar place. A mate of mine had one made to suit his camper.

I use an NM one for towing my camper, its about 50mm higher and 100mm short and suits the Trigg Hitch on my camper. With the NS one the drawbar was way too low.

Sandgroper.
    NS VRX DiD manual, family pack, tint, 2.5t tow, Smartbar, Firestone airbags, Vision X HID driving lights.

Comment

• Rich
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Canberra

Sandgroper,
      I will give them ago.

Most of those in Canbera just sell the standard ones like Hayman Reese. There are some I think may be OK but would need to see it first

Thanks for the reply,
      Richard

Comment

• Overland
        • Jun 2010
        • Sunbury Victoria

You can get all types of configurations from a trailer manufacturer or parts place. There's plenty in Melbourne and would think Canberra would have some. Hayman Reese have a range usually sold through these places. Carac in Melb has lots around $80 straight off the shelf.

The guy at Carac told me that if I put a Hayman Reese tongue into the Mitsubishi bar I would have to get it engineered as it changes the design and forfeits your insurance. I think he is talking rubbish as other bars I've had in the past have all sorts of interchangeable tongues. As long as it has the same load rating I think it would be fine.
        Cheers, David.

2010 Pajero Activ Auto DiD.Ironbark, ECB Polished Big Tube Bar, IPF HID Driving Lights, HID High Beam Conversion, Dual Batteries, Midnight Express Tinting, Thule Roof Racks, Cargo Barrier, UHF, Brake Controller, Factory Towbar.

Comment

• Rich
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Canberra

David,
          I will have a look at Carac but Canberra is a bit lacking in this area.

I thought ther Hayman Reese tongues would not be in an issue - I have tgried some in my hunt and they have fitted OK. After all the Paj one is not the best of fits having quite a bit of play in it - and I do have an official Paj one.

It would be good if this could be confirmed though.

Richard

Originally posted by Overland View Post
          You can get all types of configurations from a trailer manufacturer or parts place. There's plenty in Melbourne and would think Canberra would have some. Hayman Reese have a range usually sold through these places. Carac in Melb has lots around $80 straight off the shelf.

The guy at Carac told me that if I put a Hayman Reese tongue into the Mitsubishi bar I would have to get it engineered as it changes the design and forfeits your insurance. I think he is talking rubbish as other bars I've had in the past have all sorts of interchangeable tongues. As long as it has the same load rating I think it would be fine.

Comment

• Overland
            • Jun 2010
            • Sunbury Victoria

The Hayman Rease and Mitsubishi receivers are the same size as are a lot of others. Seems to be a standard, just the length, drop and pin location differ.

When I was looking for one with a greater drop I found a Hayman Rease and an aftermarket one that matched up with the original one.

Try online some of these places would probably post them to you.
            Cheers, David.

2010 Pajero Activ Auto DiD.Ironbark, ECB Polished Big Tube Bar, IPF HID Driving Lights, HID High Beam Conversion, Dual Batteries, Midnight Express Tinting, Thule Roof Racks, Cargo Barrier, UHF, Brake Controller, Factory Towbar.

Comment

• Rich
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Canberra

David,
              I have been hunting for awhile. I want one with less drop - I have seen them on other Pajeros just not NS.

I have looked at Haman Reese ones and there are a few possibles I think but I need to see them and try them as I may not be able open the back door.

I just upgraded my tyres from Mickey Thompsons (265/70/R17) to the standard size 265/65s and can now get the spare tyre lift kit so can possible use a better suited tongue.

I will keep looking.

Many thanks for your reply,

Richard

Comment

• Overland
                • Jun 2010
                • Sunbury Victoria

Why do you want less drop, this will put it closer to the spare wheel. The standard one drops the ball about 50mm and I was going to drop it to 75mm or 100mm so I could open the back door. I fitted the spare wheel lifter today and tried the van with the standard hitch and the door opens fine. I think if you fit one with no drop you will hit the spare wheel even with the lift kit. I have one that fits straight out from another car but put it to close to the wheel. If you were closer you could have tried it.
                Cheers, David.

Comment

• Angry
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2009
                  • Riverina

Originally posted by Overland View Post
                  The guy at Carac told me that if I put a Hayman Reese tongue into the Mitsubishi bar I would have to get it engineered as it changes the design and forfeits your insurance. I've had in the past have all sorts of interchangeable tongues. As long as it has the same load rating I think it would be fine.
                  The rubbish some of these guys tell people is just amazing , fair dinkum tell him hes a wanker

Only problem you might have is the issue I found a week ago that the Hayman Reece tounge wouldnt go in the MMA reciever , by a wisker only , but a guy told me that the edges of the MMA tounge arre a little more rounded off & if ypou run a large grinder over the edges of a H/R it will go in the MMA reciever
                  Angry.

My Photo site.
                  AAA-Photography.smugmug.com

07 NS VRX, DID Auto, Nudge Bar, 130W 215 Nitghtstalkers, 50w HID H/Beams, Kenwood Touchscreen Natsav/DVD/CD/Rev camera, Rear Alpine DVD Player, Recaro Orthopedic drivers seat, DIY Spare Wheel Lift.

Comment

• Rich
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Canberra

The van I have is an offroad one and they recommend the top of the tongue be about 500mm from the ground.

Richard

Comment

• Overland
                      • Jun 2010
                      • Sunbury Victoria

[quote=Angry;104643]The rubbish some of these guys tell people is just amazing , fair dinkum tell him hes a wanker

This is just what I was thinking as I walked out the door not to worried about what he was saying.
                      Cheers, David.

Comment

• Overland
                        • Jun 2010
                        • Sunbury Victoria

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                        The van I have is an offroad one and they recommend the top of the tongue be about 500mm from the ground.

Richard
                        Fair enough Richard. I think you will have problems hitting the same wheel if you want to open the back with the camper on but the tailer may go on the car ok. On a bit longer might be the go. I'll have a look outside and see what I can find, might have one to suit.

If you convert to a tregg hitch might be easier or use it as an excuse to put a 50mm lift on the suspension.
                        Cheers, David.

Comment

• pauld
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2010
                          • Melbourne

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                          Hi,
                          I am looking for a better tow bar hitch.

I have an NS where the stupid designed spare tyre is in the way.

The hitch I have is one that came with the MM towbar. It is one of those that are at 45 degrees which can not be reversed.

I want an L shaped hitch where the ball would be higher off the ground.

I have seen a few other Pajeros with hitches (ie the tow bar tongue) on other Pajs (not NS model) where the bit that the ball sits on is nearly level with the shaft,

Does any one have one of these and if so where did they get it. I rang MM spare parts but they would not search for one unless I gave them a VIN number which I don;t have.

Richard

Hi Richard,
                          I had a genuine MM hitch on my NP with the ball nearly level. I didn't fit the towbar to the car so I couldn't tell you if there were different heights for the hitch/s when purchased from MM.
                          Not long ago, I swapped that with a friend for a hitch with a lower ball following a suspension raise.
                          On that basis I would be heading into MM Service and asking them to show you the drawing of a hitch for an NP.
                          Thanks, Paul.
                          2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

• Rich
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2007
                            • Canberra

An update on my situations.

I took some of the advice above and contacted one of the locals.
                            The guy I contacted makes them and said he would make to fit or alter one.

My tyre situation changed as well. I had to get new tyres so I went with standard size D694LTs which meant I could also put on the lift kit.

When I went to see the guy he had a standard tongue which was very close and may have worked but I would not know until I fitted it. As this one was even higher than I wanted I got him to drop in 15mm and it fits perfcectly.

I can open the door which can open as far as the jockey wheel which nearly fully opened.

The tongue ended up costing a lot less than the standadard HR ones (ie $70 compres to $100+) and has been double welded.

I used it recently on a trip to Tibooburra and no problems.

Thanks for the help to all above,

Richard

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X