Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Camping /Caravan Parks/ Campers

Camping /Caravan Parks/ Campers It's all about the great outdoors. What you have and where you stayed.

Old 19-02-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Having Fun View Post
You were using a self inflating mattress in 1978? Kudos to you! You were ahead of your time

I was still digging a depression in the bare ground under my sleeping bag for my hip to rest in.

Yes it was a great extravagance at the time but I was doing regular multi day hikes and the closed cell Karrimat was the standard sleeping mat used by serious hikers but the upgrade to a Thermorest self inflating was a huge step up in comfort for a little extra weight.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 19-02-19
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
Yes it was a great extravagance at the time but I was doing regular multi day hikes and the closed cell Karrimat was the standard sleeping mat used by serious hikers but the upgrade to a Thermorest self inflating was a huge step up in comfort for a little extra weight.

OJ.
While I'm not quite in OJ's "experience" league, I too remember the old closed cell mat, and the revelation that was my 38mm 3/4 length (hips to shoulders) Thermarest - probably 35 years old? I still have it, but my original hasn't been used for probably 13 or 14 years - I suspect Cape York in 2005 was the last time it was used in anger.

I bought a 50mm Thermarest for my then partner, and foolishly left it when I left her. I bought myself a cheaper alternative, which never held air through the night - it turned out the material wasn't airtight. So I bought two more genuine Thermarest 50mm mats, and haven't looked back.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 19-02-19

Quote:

OJ.

You should be commended for looking after yourself. I did a fair bit of walking around in the sticks back then too, but no mattress & a rolled up jumper for a pillow. I got away with it (so far at least), lots aren't near so lucky.

I have to admit that I always thought "why?" when I saw guys carrying rolled up mattresses back then. But they were right & I was wrong.
Old 19-02-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Having Fun View Post
You should be commended for looking after yourself. I did a fair bit of walking around in the sticks back then too, but no mattress & a rolled up jumper for a pillow. I got away with it (so far at least), lots aren't near so lucky.

I have to admit that I always thought "why?" when I saw guys carrying rolled up mattresses back then. But they were right & I was wrong.
Unfortunately my days of carrying 45kg on my back for up to 25km a day over rough country for multiple days in row are well and truely over, 15-20kms carrying 10-15kgs is my daily limit as I have wacked on 25kg since my prime, lost 30% of permanent lung capacity and about about 40% of balance capacity. Could be a whole lot worse so not complaining. I still bush walk 10- 15 kms every weekend, am a volunteer backup/rescue/support and maintenance with the Friends of the Heysen Trail, and am doing a pack free 3 Capes Walk in Tasmania in about a months time.
Use it or Lose it or Adventure before Dementia it does not really matter!
Hanging out and going away with the other SA Forum members also reduces my active age!

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
Old 20-02-19

Good on you for still being involved!

I don't walk much at all any more, I'm too fat & too lazy lol.
Old 21-02-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Because we have so many they are all stored rolled up tight so they take a bit of time to inflate when first used after extended storage, a warm tent, a short time in the sun or on the bonnet of the car does assist in inflation. We have always used a few breaths to top up the air and have never had any issues. One thing we have found is in the hot weather it is best to open the valve during the day as the air in the mats can expand and put a lot of pressure on the cover seams, this is particularly important on the thicker mats.
OJ.
So it sounds like this is no problems for overall usage with some brands, storing flat & open is simply impractical. My Nomad 5cm mattress is ruined, it won't self inflate no matter how long. You must blow extra air inside or else you will feel the ground, it quickly flows out the valve unless you tighten quick. So I wonder if this extra pressurized situation will damage seams? I'm careful not to stand on the matts.

My Black wolf mattresses are 10cm thick & the foam is alot more softer. Unrolled they are massive. I must take the risk & hope they stay comfortable.

What about eva foam matts? I have glued a few 1cm matts together with contact glue & they have held up well for knelling matts but they permanently thin out over time quite quickly with any weight on them.
Old 21-02-19
Valued Member

Foams aren't Foams!
The quality varies as does the quality of the outer covers, valves and manufacturing processes.

Karrimat was the original closed cell foam mat, I still have quite a few pieces still in service as sitting and kneeling mats and in other insulation roles, these have been cut out of my original hike mat that dates back to about 1976 ish?? which was well used when it was retired from service when I brought my first Thermorest self inflating mattress.

OJ.
Old 21-02-19
Valued Member

Back in the 60s we would dig hollows for our hips and shoulders and try and find some grass or leaves to cushion them. A plastic ground sheet on top and that was our "sleeping mat". Got my first closed cell foam mat in the early 70s, sad to say left much of it in little bits in the forests of Tasmania. Sold my girlfriends's right kidney in about '76 to afford the new fangled Therma-rest. Had the best sleep ever on several cold nights up at Carnarvon Gorge, in the days when you could camp out right up the gorge near the rock paintings. Graduated up to Down-mats for really cold nights up on the Central Plateau in Tassie. Unbelievable comfort. Now have to get serious with weight on the ageing back so trying out "winter" rated ultra-lightweight synthetic mats. Not sure about their longevity, but if I treat it carefully it might yet outlast me. Just look at Snowys or Bogong or WildCamp - the range of bushwalking mats these days is mind boggling.
BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Lightforce 170 Halogen driving lights, Brown Davis i/c and sump bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD oil catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker