• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • picard
    Valued Member
    • May 2011
    • wollongong

Now that’s the news I was hopping to hear with the ims shock was considering those for the rear as Iam still running old ultimate suspension shocks.
    I remember reading an article on the net regarding updates or improved parts for earlier mrr but havnt been able to find that article
    mods, bridgestone 694 LT 265/65, ulitmate suspension 2 in with poly airbags, side awning

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

I am still not convinced any MRR is worth the extra money and the extra potential failure points of the hose, canister and mounting. I have the earlier version MT that have been superceeded by the IMS, and they are much larger and stronger than the Bilstein B6 that I had a lot of trouble with. Only have 40,000kms on them, but a reasonable amount of off road including a Simpson Crossing in 3 days.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• willneill
        • Mar 2019
        • Melbourne

picard are you not happy with your Ultimate shocks?
        2009 NT GLS Manual DiD, Cool Silver Metallic, OzTec shocks & raised King springs,Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/70R17,OEM nudge bar, BushSkinz bash plates, BushSkinz side steps, ARB alloy rack, ARB awning, Ultra Vision light bar, Uniden comms, 100AH lithium battery and 30L Dometic fridge, custom drawers, work in progress...

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by willneill View Post
          Twisted 32 has run Ulitimate Shocks and Struts for many years on his Gen 4 Pajero and these have done a lot of work both on and off road. Twisted is also a tyre and suspension tragic like myself (aircraft engineer) so he approaches these things with a methodical and technical discipline that is not influenced by marketing and social media spin.
          Kingbrown is similar and has run Ultimate on his PB Challenger for years ans does a lot of remote outback touring. (retired electrical engineer).

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Paj11
            • Jun 2017
            • Sydney

Anyone had any dealings with Fulcrum, my son in law got a Kings Spring/Fulcrum Shock suspension fit out on his Triton via an agent, Mainalign Suspension I think out of Smithfield, pricing was excellent.
            2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, iDrive, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 265/70/17 all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.

Comment

• johndavis125262
              • Apr 2013
              • brisbane

Originally posted by Paj11 View Post
              Anyone had any dealings with Fulcrum, my son in law got a Kings Spring/Fulcrum Shock suspension fit out on his Triton via an agent, Mainalign Suspension I think out of Smithfield, pricing was excellent.
              i will have when parts turn up been 2months now still waiting for the front
              regards john

Comment

• picard
                Valued Member
                • May 2011
                • wollongong

Originally posted by willneill View Post
                Yes have been very happy with ultimate long lived shock and great after sales service, even reset front after steel bull bar fitted free of charge👍
                Just not happy with dampening on everything but low speed low range work were there are at their best but high dampening they become overwhelmed and can suffer a little fade during long corrugation sections, but most twin has do this.
                However A well made twin tube I believe are the best for longevity which ultimate are and then there’s foam twin tube which is another design iam interested in trying.
                mods, bridgestone 694 LT 265/65, ulitmate suspension 2 in with poly airbags, side awning

Comment

• picard
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2011
                  • wollongong

Originally posted by picard View Post
                  Yes have been very happy with ultimate long lived shock and great after sales service, even reset front after steel bull bar fitted free of charge👍
                  Just not happy with dampening on everything but low speed low range work were there are at their best but high dampening they become overwhelmed and can suffer a little fade during long corrugation sections, but most twin has do this.
                  However A well made twin tube I believe are the best for longevity which ultimate are and then there’s foam twin tube which is another design iam interested in trying.
                  Also want to add that the ultimate are getting a little tied.

Comment

• picard
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2011
                    • wollongong

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                    I am still not convinced any MRR is worth the extra money and the extra potential failure points of the hose, canister and mounting. I have the earlier version MT that have been superceeded by the IMS, and they are much larger and stronger than the Bilstein B6 that I had a lot of trouble with. Only have 40,000kms on them, but a reasonable amount of off road including a Simpson Crossing in 3 days.

OJ.
                    Hi picard yes your right with mrr,s I have suffered a failure on the right side banjo joint.
                    Mrr were the only choice at the time and was really attracted to the spring preload adjustability, remote res, was just a bonus, having said that remote res is really a waste of time on any car short of a race. I have heard but can’t confirm that the remote res only comes into its own during full compression and extension which cycles fluid out of the reservoir, so how often dose that happen? and more likely an advantage on a long travel live axle.

Comment

• picard
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2011
                      • wollongong

A talk with dobinsons today has revealed that there can changer my mrr into ims at no extra charge, dobinsons stated it would improve reliability and longevity.

Comment

• picard
                        Valued Member
                        • May 2011
                        • wollongong

Hi old jack,
                        Did you notice any reduction in downward travel with the dobinsons Monotube compared to Bilstein

Comment

• old Jack
                          Regular
                          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by picard View Post
                          Hi old jack,
                          Did you notice any reduction in downward travel with the dobinsons Monotube compared to Bilstein
                          Hi Picard,

No difference on the front travel as this is dictated by the suspension stops.
                          On the rear the Bilsteins were always slightly on the long side and my Lovells CR 69-EHDVR were only just kept captive and the brake lines wher tight. The Dobinson MT/IMS are a little shorter, about 10mm, so I have lost a small amount of rear wheel travel.

This afternoon I can jack up the rear and measure the rear suspension travel if you like.

OJ.

Comment

• picard
                            Valued Member
                            • May 2011
                            • wollongong

Thanks old jack,
                            Very interesting although I don’t drive such extreme tracks that require max articulations like I use to I do like to maximise rear wheel travel, having said that 10 mm not that much difference.
                            The Bilstein rear travel sounds about the same as ultimate rear shocks. More to consider.

Comment

• picard
                              Valued Member
                              • May 2011
                              • wollongong

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                              Hi Picard,

No difference on the front travel as this is dictated by the suspension stops.
                              On the rear the Bilsteins were always slightly on the long side and my Lovells CR 69-EHDVR were only just kept captive and the brake lines wher tight. The Dobinson MT/IMS are a little shorter, about 10mm, so I have lost a small amount of rear wheel travel.

This afternoon I can jack up the rear and measure the rear suspension travel if you like.

OJ.
                              All good old jack you don’t have go to that extreme but thanks anayway

Comment

• old Jack
                                Regular
                                • Jun 2011

Just looking through some notes on rear shocker lengths.
                                Factory 500mm.
                                KYB 517mm.
                                Ultimate 525mm.
                                Bilstein 535mm.

OJ.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X