Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > General Info

General Info Pros and cons of different makes and models (incl. international)

Old 19-02-20

In Australia, the debate is very much focused on Holden (as you might expect), but GM is a US company. They sell a masses more cars in the US, than they could ever dream of selling here. Trump has made it very clear to US car makers that if they manufacture them overseas, they will be hit with very heavy punitive tariffs, even on cars manufactured domestically. No wonder they're shutting down/selling all of their offshore manufacturing plants.

The policy is actually a very good one if you're a US citizen. Not so great for the rest of us though.

Something else that Trump is doing that will actually assist US car manufacturers is to attempt to wind back the very strong Californian emissions laws, so that car makers don't have to keep basing their entire manufacturing US wide on Californian laws.

There are arguments for & against that policy though!
Old 19-02-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Having Fun View Post
In Australia, the debate is very much focused on Holden (as you might expect), but GM is a US company. They sell a masses more cars in the US, than they could ever dream of selling here. Trump has made it very clear to US car makers that if they manufacture them overseas, they will be hit with very heavy punitive tariffs, even on cars manufactured domestically. No wonder they're shutting down/selling all of their offshore manufacturing plants.

The policy is actually a very good one if you're a US citizen. Not so great for the rest of us though.

Something else that Trump is doing that will actually assist US car manufacturers is to attempt to wind back the very strong Californian emissions laws, so that car makers don't have to keep basing their entire manufacturing US wide on Californian laws.

Trump has only one motive behind every decision he makes ....money. He,s not interested in environment, workers, honesty, morals or the law. I,m very disappointed he hasnt had a sniper take him out....its leaders like this that is taking mankind to a bleak future unless your filthy rich or happy to kiss his arse. The billions our politicians have wasted on themselves and bullshit projects could have seen us start up new technologies and industries that would benefit all Australians...but no...self interest wins the day.

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavouring, and dish washing liquid made with real lemons?

Telegraph X camper
Old 19-02-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Having Fun View Post

It becomes not so great for US citizens when other jurisdictions enact retaliatory tariffs. Eventually the cost of all cars goes up.

But GM isnt even moving production back to the states since 2017 they have closed more production then they have opened in the US.

GM recently decided to start making the Chevrolet Blazer SUV in Mexico, rather than the plant in Lordstown, Ohio that it is winding down.
Old 19-02-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
Trump has only one motive behind every decision he makes ....money. He,s not interested in environment, workers, honesty, morals or the law. I,m very disappointed he hasnt had a sniper take him out....its leaders like this that is taking mankind to a bleak future unless your filthy rich or happy to kiss his arse. The billions our politicians have wasted on themselves and bullshit projects could have seen us start up new technologies and industries that would benefit all Australians...but no...self interest wins the day.

Dicko you can vent politics all you like.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl

Old 19-02-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
Dicko you can vent politics all you like.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl

Thanks for the link mate..but venting politics is akin to counting number of flakes in a corn flake box. I,m just ashamed that Australia has denigrated into a country that is at less than 10% of its potential..

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavouring, and dish washing liquid made with real lemons?

Telegraph X camper
Old 19-02-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajflareo View Post
It becomes not so great for US citizens when other jurisdictions enact retaliatory tariffs. Eventually the cost of all cars goes up.

But GM isnt even moving production back to the states since 2017 they have closed more production then they have opened in the US.

GM recently decided to start making the Chevrolet Blazer SUV in Mexico, rather than the plant in Lordstown, Ohio that it is winding down.

The policy aims at producing cars for the US market, made by manufacturers in the US = jobs in the USA. I reckon that there's a fair bit of to & fro ATM. GM would be saying that they've cut RHD loose & shut down us, Thailand etc. But building US cars in Mexico is what Trump wants shut down. He'll get it eventually.

I don't think they give a fat rats about retaliation TBH. They are the big game in car sales. Retaliation is a bit like cutting your nose off to spite your face.
Old 19-02-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Thats because we have so much council/state govt garbage...no room for much more garbage in Qld. You have never been exploited...good. That means you have always worked for yourself and never a wage. Unions are no different to coppers...a necessary evil!![/QUOT
E]

I agree with the council & State government jab

This is not true though, I have worked for salary in small business for 15 years.
If I haven't like the job in the past I find another one. No one has ever said to me I have to work somewhere?
We have quite strong laws surrounding employment & as an employee I have a fair idea what they are as do most employers, there is no need for unions in the modern workplace, any that I have been in anyhow.
What for
Parasites & expensive mobs to run.

25 years ago I worked on tunnel projects i see people discuss here along wih hard rock mines, same companies generally do both similar works in a sense, as contractors, again no unions & very well paid, big hours & renumerated for the trouble.
OH&S is another beast that is crippling the modern workforce, it is a whole new industry, productivity zero, common sense is no longer allowed to be applied this is a fact.
The sad part is youth moving through its totally normal for them not to look at how to get a job done, but look to see why they can't do the job.
The madness with OH&S is on another level, insidious creep more about ass covering than safety as lawyers are having a field day. Its all about blame shiftng & not being liable pure & simple. Productivity zero

How times change I suppose, why would you manufacture in Aussie
Old 22-02-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
Quote:
Thats because we have so much council/state govt garbage...no room for much more garbage in Qld. You have never been exploited...good. That means you have always worked for yourself and never a wage. Unions are no different to coppers...a necessary evil!![/QUOT
E]

I agree with the council & State government jab

This is not true though, I have worked for salary in small business for 15 years.
If I haven't like the job in the past I find another one. No one has ever said to me I have to work somewhere?
We have quite strong laws surrounding employment & as an employee I have a fair idea what they are as do most employers, there is no need for unions in the modern workplace, any that I have been in anyhow.
What for
Parasites & expensive mobs to run.

25 years ago I worked on tunnel projects i see people discuss here along wih hard rock mines, same companies generally do both similar works in a sense, as contractors, again no unions & very well paid, big hours & renumerated for the trouble.
OH&S is another beast that is crippling the modern workforce, it is a whole new industry, productivity zero, common sense is no longer allowed to be applied this is a fact.
The sad part is youth moving through its totally normal for them not to look at how to get a job done, but look to see why they can't do the job.
The madness with OH&S is on another level, insidious creep more about ass covering than safety as lawyers are having a field day. Its all about blame shiftng & not being liable pure & simple. Productivity zero

How times change I suppose, why would you manufacture in Aussie

I like the way you think! Sadly, we're in the minority.