• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • haktic
    • Mar 2020
    • South Island, NZ

My 2004 NP EGR delete

Hi all, I thought I'd share my EGR valve and cooler delete for my 2004 Pajero 3.2 diesel.

It's done quite a few km's, but I thought there wouldn't be much to lose by doing this delete.

I'd based most of this off this video here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPy_rwi-nqw) which shows the exhaust EGR port and intake EGR port both blanked off, and cooler fully deleted with a bypass for the water cooling.

I could've done this either way, by purchasing a kit online or making the blanks myself. At the time of writing (during lockdown from coronavirus in NZ), buying online was going to take far too long.

I've also read that 6mm mild steel is more favourable, however I didn't see the harm in using slightly thinner steel (if someone could tell me why there is a difference I'd be happy!)

What I needed for the job:
    4.5mm mild steel
    Angle grinder with cutting disc
    Bench grinder
    Socket set

1) I first removed the plastic engine cover by removing the four bolts.

2) Then removed the the top EGR pipe and the valve itself (removing the vac line).

3) And the bottom EGR pipe.

4) I then used the gaskets from the intake manifold port and exhaust manifold port and drew them onto the steel (here I reused some 4.5mm thick mild steel.

5) This is how it came out for the exhaust side (prior and after using the grinder.

6) Do the same for cutting and grinding the intake side.

7) When installing the exhaust side, reuse the gasket, and you can reuse the same bolts from the piping.

7) For the intake side, reuse the gasket. However, I used the bolts that came from joining the top pipe to the EGR valve as seen below. This was because the the ones that usually go in there are too long.

8) Finally, I blocked off the vacuum line that controls the valve using a small bolt and a ziptie, and looped it in with the other lines.

9) This is how it looks wit the upmost and bottom most parts of the EGR system blocked off. I blocked off the open holes with some very thin tin (while I wait before removing the whole cooler)

10) Obviously, I would usually want to remove the cooler, and connect the two coolant hoses together - but at time of doing and writing I'm unable to go to the store and get any coolant hoses to do this. This will be one of the first things I do when they're open.

More than welcome for any feedback or comments as I'm still new to this. Also, if anyone has any good reasons to suggest using thicker steel, please say!

Hope this has helped someone somewhere, cheers.
    2004 Pajero NP GLS / 3.2 DiD Auto - SOLD

2012 Pajero NW Activ / 3.2 DiD Auto
  • k100dennis
    • Dec 2015
    • Railton, Tasmania

I removed everything, though mine didnt have a cooler. If you remove the largemounting bracket for the cooler it opens up the right-hand side of the engine heaps. And the bracket weighs heaps as well, a good thing gone.
    2004 NP Diesel, auto, GLS, white with silver trim. Kumho KL78 tyres, EGR system removed, upper rear lights connected, Rhino Rack Vortex RST, Engel MT60, Full River 120 AH AGM Deep Cycle, Enerdrive VSR, Kimberly Kamper Kakadu, HEMA HX-1, Airbag Man airbags, 2 stroke oil at 200:1.

Comment

• haktic
      • Mar 2020
      • South Island, NZ

Yeah I can't wait for these shops to re open so I can get one large piece of tube to bypass it, then get rid of the whole cooler and bracket.

Comment

• choppa
        • Sep 2012
        • Townsville

I blanked off each end of the exhaust lines on the cooler using blanking plates and left the coolant hoses intact.

This way it looks "stock" but importantly the exhaust and coolant will never mix.

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk
        2008 NS(X) Pajero
        3.2D auto, retrofitted with engine from 2016 NX (pre-DPF) and Aisin a750 transmission (V5AWF)
        EGR ON, 3” bullet cat
        Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 (RBT XL) 265/70R17

Comment

• haktic
          • Mar 2020
          • South Island, NZ

Choppa, I was keen on doing the same thing - but in NZ there's no rules around EGR's so it makes sense to remove it all.

Comment

• Kingmarz
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2016
            • South Island New Zealand

Remove entire cooler and heavy bracket and don’t forget to remove the little bucket thingy where the EGR goes into inlet manifold it has to be pushed out and cannot be pushed in. You are correct in that here in NZ it’s fine to remove egr in fact last time I took my Pajero in for a warrant of fitness the tester commented on how much better the engine looks with the egr removed.
            02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• Kingmarz
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by rgrubby View Post
              I'm just going put this here... and go have my breakfast

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/roads-and-r...ion-standards/
              Hahahaha. I rolled my eyes and coal to that piece of information. How does that breakfast taste knowing I have my fuelling and off boost enrichment turned up full with no cat and the fact that the local emissions tester congratulated me on my good work.
              02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• rgrubby
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2018
                • Wellington - NZ

Originally posted by Kingmarz View Post
                Hahahaha. I rolled my eyes and coal to that piece of information. How does that breakfast taste knowing I have my fuelling and off boost enrichment turned up full with no cat and the fact that the local emissions tester congratulated me on my good work.

I'm not saying that these things shouldn't be done, I'm just pointing out some rules that people may not have read. I have only discovered those rules as I was curious from reading this post.

So did you have an emissions test as part of an LVV certification? How did the emissions stack up against factory?
                I'm just curious, keen to learn what I can. I have seen you mention your extra boost etc and was wondering how you went about it all.
                2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• Kingmarz
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2016

I'm not saying that these things shouldn't be done, I'm just pointing out some rules that people may not have read. I have only discovered those rules as I was curious from reading this post.

So did you have an emissions test as part of an LVV certification? How did the emissions stack up against factory?
                  I'm just curious, keen to learn what I can. I have seen you mention your extra boost etc and was wondering how you went about it all.

My emissions tester is the WOF tester and I believe currently they only check for excessive smoke.
                  The extra boost is from the combination of larger turbo, boost controller and my Synergy fuel controller which has built in fuel cut defender to trick the amount of boost the map sensor sends to the computer to prevent it going into limp mode at 21psi.

Sooo may I ask what you occupation is?

Comment

• rgrubby
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2018
                    • Wellington - NZ

Originally posted by Kingmarz View Post
                    My emissions tester is the WOF tester and I believe currently they only check for excessive smoke.
                    The extra boost is from the combination of larger turbo, boost controller and my Synergy fuel controller which has built in fuel cut defender to trick the amount of boost the map sensor sends to the computer to prevent it going into limp mode at 21psi.

Sooo may I ask what you occupation is?

Nice

I'm in no way connected to vehicle testing if that what you were wondering, just curious about how everything works
                    2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• haktic
                      • Mar 2020
                      • South Island, NZ

I'm just going put this here... and go have my breakfast

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/roads-and-r...ion-standards/
                      Wow, I didn't know that - news to me too! We had an old D40 Navara that had a faulty EGR, the garage (same place that does the WOF), suggested the cheaper fix of simply blanking it off.

That's most likely why I had it drilled in my head that NZ was relaxed about emissions.

Comment

• haktic
                        • Mar 2020
                        • South Island, NZ

By the way this is now what it looks like. I used roughly 40-50cm of 16mm inner diameter heater hose. Apart from that ugly bracket, I don't think it came out too bad.

I didn't get around to removing the mount, and there was only so much I could do in the yard of my university flat.

Hopefully this won't cause any fuss when going to get a warrant of fitness.

Comment

• Sveinandre
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Norway

Did the same on my 02 pajero 3;2did.
                          On the european controll (moc) i got pass on the exhaust gas. 1,85CO%/m-1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Chuck_Hop
                            • Sep 2023
                            • Calgary, Alberta/ Victoria, British Columbia

Have you noticed a fuel efficiency Increase? Getting a V78 Paj in the spring and want to see if it's worth doing for any range increase.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X