• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soa
    • Mar 2020
    • Iran

Pajero v6 3.0 starting problem

Hi
    After checking ignition wires and spark plugs i faced a problem, my car has not started since i checked them.I am sure wires and spark plugs dont have any problem and also i got spark on spark plug wires , so i think ignition coil, distributor and power transistor have no problem.Am i right?
    I checked ecu and it seems there is no error .
    After that i noticed fuel pump did not work so i connected a wire directly from battery to fuel pump and after that fuel pump worked but the car did not start
    I am going to change fuel pump relay (engine control relay) but i am not sure if it is the main cause of the problem or not.
    I would like to know what happen if engine control relay fail?
    And do you think i must check anything else ?
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

1 Are the spark plug leads connected in their correct places? Since you have spark, the distributor seems to be OK.

2 The fuel pump starts if directly powered by 12 V. The fuel pump is OK. Have you tried to start the car with the fuel pump still connected to the 12 V?

3 If the plug leads are correctly located and the fuel pump is working (by jumper lead), the only other thing which can be wrong is the fuel pressure, but I would re-check the spark plug lead locations first.

Comment

• Soa
      • Mar 2020
      • Iran

Thank you erad for promot response

1- I checked wires and i did not find any problem
      2- After fuel pump powered directly i tried to start , nothing happened
      3-the day before cheking the wires, everything was ok and because of it i did not consider fuel pressure , so in your opinion is it possible any problem happend that lead to pressure drop? like some problem for fuel pump?

Do you think replacing engine control relay solve the problem?

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Why did you check ignition wires and spark plugs? Were you having a problem?

I don't recall if these engines have a crank angle sensor, or get their timing signals from the distributor, but I have a recollection that the fuel pump is energised only when the ECU sees that the engine is turning i.e. timing pulses.

No timing pulses = no fuel pump running, no injectors firing, no spark firing.

Find your timing pulses.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• stumagoo
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2014
          • Perth WA S.O.R

not knowing what year yours is - but knowing the 3.0 in other countries a lot later than it does here - check the injectors for injector pulse. the factory mitsi immobiliser stops the injectors from pulsing and giving the engine fuel -

3 ways to confirm this - check for an ecu code with the ignintion on - use a noid light on the injectors while trying to start or use a screwdriver/ stethascope to listen for the injectors ticking

if it is an immobilise issue notmally its the RF hip in the key - if you have a spare key ithen using t may solve the issue
          1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
          *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
          1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• Soa
            • Mar 2020
            • Iran

thanks for all response

I just bought it about 2 month ago and because i dont know anything about its maintenance history , i decided to check the wire resistance ,spark plugs ,ignition coil resistance . there was no problem at all.
            tomorrow i will check the timing signal but I got spark on spark plugs while cranking and because of that i think distributor have no problem , am i wrong?

also i havent yet checked injectors and tomorrow i will check them.

I dont know if my car have immobilizer or not, how can i check it?

Comment

• erad
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2015
              • Cooma NSW

Soa:
              Some Pajero cars had a distributor, some have 3 coils. Which is yours? If it is 3 coils, there is a crank angle sensor mounted behind the crankshaft pulley at the front of the engine. They also have a cam angle sensor mounted on the front of the left side head, behind the camshaft pulley. If either of these sensors fail, the engine will not run.

If you have a distributor, it is best to get a timing light and check the ignition advance (there should be a scale low down on the front of the timing cover).

If you are buying new high tension leads, I recommend to buy NGK leads. found them to be the best, but more importantly, they were the correct length and were numbered so that you easily knew that No 1 lead went to No 1 spark plug. Of course you must put No 1 lead into the correct position in teh distributor cap. That is probably where your problem is now.

Comment

• bsperka
                • Jan 2013
                • Carindale

Can you hear the pump running? I powered my pump directly but no go, as the pump had burnt out. Power directly and try and hear it running - your ear may need to be on filler outlet or on the cargo floor inside.

Comment

• Soa
                  • Mar 2020
                  • Iran

Hi
                  As erad mentioned , high tension lead order was wrong and i mounted them in a wrng order
                  However it was a good and valuable experience for me . I had to check many things and refrences so i list them . I think it may be useful for somebody who face starting problem :
                  1- http://www.4x4wire.com/mitsubishi/te...oubleshooting/
                  2- https://www.autozone.com/repairguide...00c152800545da
                  3- https://easyautodiagnostics.com/mits...system-tests-1
                  4- https://autofix.com.au/blog/pajero-ecu-fault-code-check
                  5 - montero fsm manual -electrical , it is useful just for petrol engines
                  6- www2.pajeroclub.com.au

And finally i should say i am sure homer simpson has worked for mitsu and he was in charge for finding a good place for engine control relay.
                  I dont know why mitsu engineers put that relay at such a inaccesible place.

Thank you for helping me

Comment

• disco stu
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2018
                    • Wollongong

Good to hear you got it sorted. Thanks for updating here also, really helps knowing what the solution was when suffering similar issues

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X