X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yeorgos
    • Feb 2020
    • Adelaide

As my NX Pajero is the first diesel vehicle I've had in 20 years and prefer to do my own oil and filter changes
    i was interested in feedback on what others like myself are using , then reaserched the products and made a decision based on daily commuting , recreational driving , preferred service intervals , value for money and it was excellent having all the posts to refer too with that wide choice of compatible oils to choose from .

But there are many who although care about regularly servicing their vehicle and keeping it mechanically sound are not too concerned on what oil their trusted mechanic or service centre use on their vehicle other than "the service was done" are totally content and thats fine

My company VZ Commodore wagon had full Holden log book service history up to 205thou km when it got traded in , i would check the colour of the oil on the dip stick before i took it in and again when i got it back but not once did i ask what oil they used although i noticed 205 litre Castrol drums in the workshop

However during that time i could get into some real detail on my modified 97 GQ TI Patrol TB42E .

Cheers
    Last edited by Yeorgos; 25-04-20, 09:57 AM.
    George
    2016 NX GLS Pajero
    2010 JT Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Comment

• sharkcaver
      "2000"+ Valued Contributor
      • May 2009
      • Perth

I've yet to have anyone show me a premature engine failure using somewhere near spec oil and changed regularly, be that cheap stuff or expensive stuff.

So unless you are extending service intervals with the expensive full syn like kingmarz has done (50% cost increase over semi syn), I don't see the point but acknowledge each to their own.

The only way to determine how an oil is performing and it's useful service interval is to have the used stuff tested. There is an echo in here....

If you stick to a mid range, in spec oil and change it regularly, reduced engine longevity will never be seen by most owners - most cars don't last that long for various other reasons.
      MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Jasonmc73
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2019
        • Brisbane

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
        I've yet to have anyone show me a premature engine failure using somewhere near spec oil and changed regularly, be that cheap stuff or expensive stuff.

So unless you are extending service intervals with the expensive full syn like kingmarz has done (50% cost increase over semi syn), I don't see the point but acknowledge each to their own.

The only way to determine how an oil is performing and it's useful service interval is to have the used stuff tested. There is an echo in here....

If you stick to a mid range, in spec oil and change it regularly, reduced engine longevity will never be seen by most owners - most cars don't last that long for various other reasons.
        And the money you save spend on schedule oil sample

I personally think that it is a fair idea.
        Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X