• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Travel Tragic
    • Nov 2017
    • Central Coast NSW

Pajero long term storage

Hi all, after much site searching I haven't come across my problem. I really need to store my 2017 NX (diesel) for 3 to 6 months but I have no way of getting it started or driven during this time so it will be just left. How should I prepare it for it's little rest.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions. John
    2017 NX Second Battery, Redarc DcDc Charger, Factory towbar, Redarc Brake Contoller. Otherwise standard
  • Seigried
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2016
    • brisbane

Put some biocide in the tank to prevent algae growth. Maybe put a maintenace charger on to.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Assuming car is being garaged then I would pumping the tyre's up to maximum cold inflation pressures as per the tyre sidewall this will assist in the tyre's not developing flat spots. If the time was closer to 6 months or longer then I would be tempted to put the car up on axle stands unless the tyre's are near the end of their life and you are happy to fit new tyre's when you return.

Filling the fuel tank with fresh premium diesel will reduce the amount of condensation that can occur in the fuel tank, you could also use a diesel additive to deter the growth of bacteria and fungus in the diesel whilst in storage.

Leaving the battery connected but putting the battery on a trickle charge will ensure the battery will not die through lack of use and parasitic drain.

Check that the registration and insurance will not lapse whilst the car is not in use.
      Some states require inspections if the registration has lapsed by more than 30 days.

Check the household insurance policy to make sure everything is still covered as some policies require the house to not be vacant for more than 60 consecutive days without notification to the insurance company.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Travel Tragic
        • Nov 2017
        • Central Coast NSW

Thanks Seigried and OJ, good advice. I thought about taking the battery out all together as the power will be turned off so difficult for trickle charging and I a little suss about leaving anything electronic going unattended for months. If I take the battery out what will it do for all the computer/engine management systems?

I think axle stands will the way I will go plus the fuel additive. I have checked with my house insurance and they allow up to 99 days for unoccupied homes so if I stay away longer I will have to work something out. In NSW the rego can be renewed for up to 3 months after it runs out but a blue slip inspection is needed after this. This is all great information, this site is worth it's weight in gold. John
        2017 NX Second Battery, Redarc DcDc Charger, Factory towbar, Redarc Brake Contoller. Otherwise standard

Comment

• kleinh17
          • Aug 2016
          • Germany

Hi,
          I have mine in winter storage (Europe) started 1st December; I pumped the tyres to about 4 bar (58psi), filled up the tank to the top and added a ctek charger to the battery which uses pulse charging. I considered tyre shoes (or whatever they are called) but reports on these ranged from being fake to fantastic; same in the advise to put it on stands, most reports stated that this should not be done as it may have adverse efects on the suspension; anyway, I have about one centimeter left to the ceiling with the car all empty and the suspension lift, so no space to have anything underneath. Lucky it did fit at all.

Plan is to remove it in April, drive for at least 100km and then have an inspection with oil change, filter change etc. Then I can report on the results.

Thanks OJ for the diesel bug info, I tried to do some research and mostly find this related with boat/yacht engines; and most products seem to be only sold in the UK. Somehow it may not have made it to the public conscious of the folks in Germany storing their vehicle in winter (which is very common here for campervans and oldtimers) - I had read at least ten reports on "how to do it right" and many forum tips and none mentioned this.

One advise from a yachting site was to visually check and smell the Diesel by extracting some with a small hose. I think I will do that.

Oliver.
          Pajero V80 2016 (NX) 3.2 DiD, OME 914/918 springs with 90006/90033 shocks, Cooper S/T Maxx 265/70R17, DIY side steps, Rhino Rack rails and Upracks roof rack, Darche HighView RTT, LED working lights, backdoor table (nothing wrong with me, Ronny)

Comment

• Tuttle
            • Feb 2020
            • Melbourne, VIC

Is it better to store it with a full tank of gas or an empty tank?

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Tuttle View Post
              Is it better to store it with a full tank of gas or an empty tank?
              From post #3.
              Filling the fuel tank with fresh premium diesel will reduce the amount of condensation that can occur in the fuel tank, you could also use a diesel additive to deter the growth of bacteria and fungus in the diesel whilst in storage.

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• erad
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Cooma NSW

Regarding the battery, years ago, I had a Sigma. It was about a year old and the battery died - just out of warranty. I was about to be sent overseas for a job which would last a year, so I replaced the battery with the cheapest one I could buy. As it turned out, I went overseas, but only on "short term assignments", so my wife stayed home and obviously still needed the car. After about 3 years, I put a new set of rings in the engine. BUT - it was in the middle of winter, and the cheapie old battery didn't have enough grunt to turn the engine over with the new rings, so I had to buy yet another battery. I used the 'dead' battery as a door stop on the garage doors. After some time, as a safety measure, I emptied the acid out of the battery into a bucket, let the sludge settle out and then decanted the acid into a bottle. I also turned the battery upside down and hosed out the cells to remove as much sludge as possible.

Time passed and eventually we had bought a new Magna to replace the Sigma. Again, just out of warranty, the battery failed, so as a trial, I refilled the old cheapie battery and put it into the Magna. Voila - it worked, and continued to work for about 4 years more. Eventually it died, but overall it had served 2 cars for a total of about 6 years and was by far the cheapest battery I could buy at the time. So, assuming teat your battery is not a sealed type, this may be an option to store your battery without having to keep it charged.

Comment

• kleinh17
                  • Aug 2016
                  • Germany

Update on my stored Pajero: It was in a garage (shelter) from 1st of December to 30th of March. I had the tank filled up to the absolute max; I had raised air pressure to 3.5 bar (50psi). I had a trickle charger (ctek MX5.0) on the batteries.
                  When I removed it from storage it started right away, I drove for about 50km including an autobahn stretch and then dropped it at the dealer for yearly maintenance (to maintain the warranty). Oil and filters and breaking fluid were changed and "everything" checked.
                  So far I cannot recognize anything unusual on the vehicle, tires are fine (back at normal on-road pressure), engine normal, all good.

Saved a couple of hundred Euro on tax and insurance and prevented rust (well, no snow and thus no salt on the road in my area this winter. Sign of climate change?).

Now waiting for going places again...

Oliver.
                  Pajero V80 2016 (NX) 3.2 DiD, OME 914/918 springs with 90006/90033 shocks, Cooper S/T Maxx 265/70R17, DIY side steps, Rhino Rack rails and Upracks roof rack, Darche HighView RTT, LED working lights, backdoor table (nothing wrong with me, Ronny)

Comment

• Travel Tragic
                    • Nov 2017
                    • Central Coast NSW

Thanks

Thanks Oliver,
                    I have had some good advise about this now but because of the virus lock down I have gone into storage as well as my Pajero so no trips away and only the occasional local drive with the Pajero to keep it running. How is any lock downs effecting you? John

Comment

• kleinh17
                      • Aug 2016
                      • Germany

Originally posted by Travel Tragic View Post
                      How is any lock downs effecting you? John
                      Personally I can (must) work from home as before just no travel to meetings. Restaurants, schools (are slowly reopening), kindergarten etc. are closed, but going for a walk or run is no problem as is driving within the country - but hotels, camp sites are also closed so staying overnight is a problem (wild camping is always a legal risk).

Travel within Europe doesn't work as most borders are somehow closed or restricted and in many neighboring countries restrictions may be even stricter, so no point in going there.

Probably will do some RTT camping with the kids in the backyard when temperatures are a bit higher at night.... (saves the fuel, invest in steaks).

Wash hands, Stay safe.
                      Oliver.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X