• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Man Bear Pig
    • Jun 2014
    • Mypolonga

Ironman Vs Dobinson lift kits

I am looking for the best Quality 2" lift kit under $1000.
    The best I have found is Ironman or Dobinson, What lift kit would be better the Ironman 40mm (nitro gas shocks ) or the Dobinson 30mm 125kg variable kit gas shock. Ive been told the 30mm kit will give you 40mm lift.

I am mostly on tar for work but I like to push it to its limits on the week ends
    I will entually have my 35L Fridge and home made drawers to go in so it will have a bit of weight.

Any advice or past experiences would be appreciated.
    Cheers.
  • Kirkster72
    • Sep 2013
    • Sydney

G'day man bear pig,
    I have ironman on my nt which has 50ltr Waeco & draw system, aux batt & compressor all in the back with no problems, also airbags but don't really use them only when fully loaded with camper in tow, in my opinion ironman is a good setup. I haven't had anything else so cannot comment on others.
    Cheers Bryan
    2008 nt gls 3.2 smartbar, runva ewx9500 winch, airtech snorkel, ironman / ome combo lift, smartbar, 75watt hid's, lightbar, dual battery, rear worklight, bashplates, catch can 65ltr waeco, 18ltr engel, ors draws/fridge slide, 58ltr lra aux tank ,blah blah blah!

Comment

• Man Bear Pig
      • Jun 2014
      • Mypolonga

Originally posted by Kirkster72 View Post
      G'day man bear pig,
      I have ironman on my nt which has 50ltr Waeco & draw system, aux batt & compressor all in the back with no problems, also airbags but don't really use them only when fully loaded with camper in tow, in my opinion ironman is a good setup. I haven't had anything else so cannot comment on others.
      Cheers Bryan
      Ok does it still give you the 40mm clearance wen fully loaded ?

Comment

• schnitzel
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2009
        • Bendigo

This is a photo of the 125 kg variable springs in an nj
        Attached Files
        Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• lukincool
          • Mar 2013
          • Imbil

hey

hi I am using dobinson hd springs and shocks really happy with performance in in da rough stuff, also running 265x70x17 honcook tyres.
          Pajero NP exceed, it has dobinson HD springs and shocks (extra 50mm) very nice, 265x70x17 Hancook A/T which are quiet and comfy on the road, Icom uhf, eclipse gps, long range fuel tank, duel battery setup, steel bulbar, tow bar, widow draw system, eva cool fridge freezer dual controls (awesome), electric brake controller, Out Back Bash Plates, air bags for my rear suspension, breathers and a snorkel... the dream sheet has a long list aswell ... when I can afford them

Comment

• Man Bear Pig
            • Jun 2014
            • Mypolonga

Originally posted by lukincool View Post
            hi I am using dobinson hd springs and shocks really happy with performance in in da rough stuff, also running 265x70x17 honcook tyres.
            Ok do u have the 125kg rated or 250kg ?
            Did u achive the full 50mm lift ?

Comment

• Kirkster72
              • Sep 2013
              • Sydney

I don't have any noticeable sag, but there probably would be (minimal) sag. wouldn't know till next time im loaded
              2008 nt gls 3.2 smartbar, runva ewx9500 winch, airtech snorkel, ironman / ome combo lift, smartbar, 75watt hid's, lightbar, dual battery, rear worklight, bashplates, catch can 65ltr waeco, 18ltr engel, ors draws/fridge slide, 58ltr lra aux tank ,blah blah blah!

Comment

• Man Bear Pig
                • Jun 2014
                • Mypolonga

Originally posted by Kirkster72 View Post
                I don't have any noticeable sag, but there probably would be (minimal) sag. wouldn't know till next time im loaded
                Do the Ironman 40mm lift kits have a weight limit ?

Comment

• Man Bear Pig
                  • Jun 2014
                  • Mypolonga

Just wondering what the dobinson gas shocks like (performance / fade ) ?
                  Is there a foam cell style made by dobinson ?

Comment

• pajrex1456
                    • May 2009
                    • Box Hill South, VIC

Hi Man Bear Pig,

Are you absolutely fixed on these 2 brands? I started out with an Ironman 2" lift. It was OK after I had the springs replaced within 2 weeks when the lift was still lopsided after settling in. The set finally died (the rear springs and shocks, that is) after a few days in Little Desert but that's after 4 years with not very heavy or frequent offroad use. I replaced the whole lot with Lovells 2" lift springs and shocks (kept the front torsion bars from Ironman - they're wound up after a winch install and still OK).

I am tremendously happy with the Lovells set, and surprised the price should be around your budget. Soon after the new install I challenged another car through the bends from Healesville and maintained practically at the speed limit without feeling tippy or out of control at anytime (the other car fell back after a while heheh).

I constantly have a fully loaded set of drawers in the back but no fridge, with a winch in front - so perhaps I'm not seeing all of the 2" lift. That said, even when I'm pretty loaded up it doesn't sink so much. Hope this helps.
                    2015 NX GLX - 2" Lift, XHD Lovells Springs + Bilsteins, ARB Bar, Lightforce 170 Spotties, TJM 9500lb Winch, Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 265/70R17 on 17" factory steelies, Uniden UHF, Boo's Bashplates.. more coming!

1992 3.0V6 NH GLS - GONE!! The King is dead!! Long Live the King!!

Comment

• Man Bear Pig
                      • Jun 2014
                      • Mypolonga

Originally posted by pajrex1456 View Post
                      Hi Man Bear Pig,

Are you absolutely fixed on these 2 brands? I started out with an Ironman 2" lift. It was OK after I had the springs replaced within 2 weeks when the lift was still lopsided after settling in. The set finally died (the rear springs and shocks, that is) after a few days in Little Desert but that's after 4 years with not very heavy or frequent offroad use. I replaced the whole lot with Lovells 2" lift springs and shocks (kept the front torsion bars from Ironman - they're wound up after a winch install and still OK).

I am tremendously happy with the Lovells set, and surprised the price should be around your budget. Soon after the new install I challenged another car through the bends from Healesville and maintained practically at the speed limit without feeling tippy or out of control at anytime (the other car fell back after a while heheh).

I constantly have a fully loaded set of drawers in the back but no fridge, with a winch in front - so perhaps I'm not seeing all of the 2" lift. That said, even when I'm pretty loaded up it doesn't sink so much. Hope this helps.
                      Ok, how much lift did u achive ?
                      I am looking to get as close to the full 2" lift as possible, that beeing said it is my daily driver and needs to be safe as my family is in it everyday weather we are on or off road.

Do Lovells offer a complete 2" lift kit ?

Comment

• Man Bear Pig
                        • Jun 2014
                        • Mypolonga

I have spoken to a suspension dealer and he recomends foam cell over gas, with that in mind I am now looking at the Ironman 2"lift kit using foam cells ($1100) or the tough dog 2"lift kit using foam cells.($1180)
                        Which company would have the best shockies in terms of comfort, quality and lif span ? Any advice or opinions will be appreciated cheers.

Comment

• Naviguesser
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2013
                          • Crib Point Vic

Ironman advise you can only fit foamcells to the rear not the front. The bodies are too big.
                          MY14 NW GLX-R DiD
                          ARB Bull Bar, Safari Snorkel, Dual Batteries, Tinted Windows, Spare Tyre Lift, Toyo Open Country 2. EGR Block. GME UHF. Illuminator 9" LED Driving Lights.
                          TJM XGS Gold Series Shocks, EFS Coils, Polyairs.
                          Now towing a 19ft regent Caravan

Member of the Cynical Old Bloke Club

Comment

• Man Bear Pig
                            • Jun 2014
                            • Mypolonga

Originally posted by Naviguesser View Post
                            Ironman advise you can only fit foamcells to the rear not the front. The bodies are too big.
                            I spoke to a suspesion dealer and he recommended foam cells all round.
                            I think I will blow the budget and go with a tough dog foam cell possibly the adjustables for the rear.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X