• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MLCE WILSON
    • Dec 2016
    • Sydney

Low range driving - cooling trans and intercooler

Hi
    interested in hearing about improving cooling during extended low range driving (not towing) and slow (limited airflow) ascents with caravan when even with the auto locked temps climb.
    Has anyone fitted an intercooler spray kit for slow hot work to maintain output or thermo fans to intercooler and trany cooler to increase airflow. I have the 4mm Bushskinz which may limit airflow especially in slow/low speed situations
    thanks
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

We did a fair bot of work on this in Adelaide a few years back.

If you are using you auto trans in "Drive" then temperatures will be higher than using sport/manual mode because in "Drive"the torque converter will unlock rather than drop down a gear or 2.Factory AT program only locks the TC in 3rd, 4th &5th gears.
    If you have a torque convertor lockup kit that locks from 2nd gear upward then this also greatly reduces operating temperatures for ATF, Engine Coolant, and Engine Air intake.

We were able to successfully modify the factory steel bar /Bushskinz combination to reduce temperatures but all trials with split pan design bars (ARB/TJM/OL/Ironman) with Bushskinz showed little reduction in operating temperatures.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Jasonmc73
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2019
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
      We did a fair bot of work on this in Adelaide a few years back.

If you are using you auto trans in "Drive" then temperatures will be higher than using sport/manual mode because in "Drive"the torque converter will unlock rather than drop down a gear or 2.Factory AT program only locks the TC in 3rd, 4th &5th gears.
      If you have a torque convertor lockup kit that locks from 2nd gear upward then this also greatly reduces operating temperatures for ATF, Engine Coolant, and Engine Air intake.

We were able to successfully modify the factory steel bar /Bushskinz combination to reduce temperatures but all trials with split pan design bars (ARB/TJM/OL/Ironman) with Bushskinz showed little reduction in operating temperatures.

OJ.
      So whats the answer OJ? If one find it A problem & common application obvioulsy.
      Lock up kit, drive in Sport & monitor Eng & trans temps??
      Just reading the thread you refer too, sounds like probably pay to also fit larger Trans cooler?
      The list increases LOL!
      Last edited by Jasonmc73; 15-11-19, 10:19 PM.
      Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• NTBenny
        • May 2017
        • Newcastle

One of the aspects I really like about my JT intercooler is that a fan is mounted to it which blows air through the core when the a/c is on.

My next project is to install a fan to the transcooler to improve cooling at low speeds or even when stopped.

Benny.
        2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
          So whats the answer OJ? If one find it A problem & common application obvioulsy.
          Lock up kit, drive in Sport & monitor Eng & trans temps??
          Just reading the thread you refer too, sounds like probably pay to also fit larger Trans cooler?
          The list increases LOL!
          Fitting the side gussets/wings/baffles to the Bushskinz intercooler plate reduced all temperatures in both the Challenger with a Smartbar and NW Pajero with MMAL steel bar.
          Fitting inlet baffles behind the MMAL steel bar on the Pajero also contributed the the temperature reductions.
          Both cars were run for about a year before TC lockups were fitted, I have found that with my testing and continued use of Lockup Mate and Auto Mate, that significant reductions in all operating temperatures in all conditions results.
          I did some tests in regards to the impact of fitting bug screens, results are in this thread.

I think relocating the Pajero intercooler from behind the swaybar and mounting it at a 45 degree angle with in inlet scoop to collect air from the split pan bullbar should give a reduction in engine air inlet temperatures, I might rekindle this project with Geopaj who was doing experiments with different design intercooler guards.

Geopaj has an additional ATF cooler and I think he has bypassed the factory ATF cooler which is incorporated in the lower portion of the engine coolant radiator, and from our tests this did reduce the ATF temps over standard but not as much as a TC lockup.

Both Twisted 32 and Letsgoplaces have upgraded intercoolers and these do reduce the engine air inlet temperatures significantly but had no effect on ATF temps but do cause a slight increase in engine coolant temperatures.

So after baffling the Bushskinz intercooler guard, the next best mod that reduces all operating temperatures is a TC Lockup kit. I am sure further gains can be made by modifying existing intercooler or fitting a larger intercooler, like wise with fitting an additional ATF cooler.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Jasonmc73
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2019
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
            Fitting the side gussets/wings/baffles to the Bushskinz intercooler plate reduced all temperatures in both the Challenger with a Smartbar and NW Pajero with MMAL steel bar.
            Fitting inlet baffles behind the MMAL steel bar on the Pajero also contributed the the temperature reductions.
            Both cars were run for about a year before TC lockups were fitted, I have found that with my testing and continued use of Lockup Mate and Auto Mate, that significant reductions in all operating temperatures in all conditions results.
            I did some tests in regards to the impact of fitting bug screens, results are in this thread.

I think relocating the Pajero intercooler from behind the swaybar and mounting it at a 45 degree angle with in inlet scoop to collect air from the split pan bullbar should give a reduction in engine air inlet temperatures, I might rekindle this project with Geopaj who was doing experiments with different design intercooler guards.

Geopaj has an additional ATF cooler and I think he has bypassed the factory ATF cooler which is incorporated in the lower portion of the engine coolant radiator, and from our tests this did reduce the ATF temps over standard but not as much as a TC lockup.

Both Twisted 32 and Letsgoplaces have upgraded intercoolers and these do reduce the engine air inlet temperatures significantly but had no effect on ATF temps but do cause a slight increase in engine coolant temperatures.

So after baffling the Bushskinz intercooler guard, the next best mod that reduces all operating temperatures is a TC Lockup kit. I am sure further gains can be made by modifying existing intercooler or fitting a larger intercooler, like wise with fitting an additional ATF cooler.

OJ.
            Thanks for that,
            I can see from what you outline extensive efforts which option is the path of least effort for most return for many applications, unless you want to redesign the wheel or had further problems in A given, common application.
            In Ag applications you will find many with removable screen, more about grass seed removal etc but for same reasons & obviously these uses of diesel engines are at slow ground speed.
            Generally as many would already know these screens are steel on the radiator face basically + screens in bonnets before that screen, not so easy to achieve in ones vehicle of course.
            Radiator type coolers compressed air & air nozzle to clean them out, not hoses & water as A general practise is A bad idea.
            Keep things clean & lock things up
            Last edited by Jasonmc73; 16-11-19, 10:50 AM.
            Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X