Below Nav Bar

Collapse

When DiD your NM/NP 3.2 Diesel injection pump needed replacing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maxwin
    • Sep 2019
    • Costa blanca -Spain

Goodbye Vrz

Pump of my 3.2 failed about 160.000 km.. bought the car with this broken pump, zexel vrz is in my opinion one of the most crappiest pumps ever.

My solucion: i changed with a mechanical zexel ve from a 2.8 and after some mods it works perfect.

Second hand in the UK for 100 pounds, and easy to overhaul, cheap too..

In europe a vrz overhauled will cost about 1400 euro, completely crazy, lots of sensors, valves, and other electronic crap..
    Attached Files
    Last edited by maxwin; 01-09-19, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• Jaybools
      • Sep 2019
      • Australia

Originally posted by maxwin View Post
      Pump of my 3.2 failed about 160.000 km.. bought the car with this broken pump, zexel vrz is in my opinion one of the most crappiest pumps ever.

My solucion: i changed with a mechanical zexel ve from a 2.8 and after some mods it works perfect.

Second hand in the UK for 100 pounds, and easy to overhaul, cheap too..

In europe a vrz overhauled will cost about 1400 euro, completely crazy, lots of sensors, valves, and other electronic crap..
      Hey mate, are you able to elaborate at all about what you did to the 2.8 pump? I know heaps of people would find it extremely useful.

As someone who has just bought a DiD with 239k on it, trying to alleviate the fiscal fears brought about by bad pump. No symptoms yet though....

Cheers
      2005 NP Pajero 3.2 DiD, Manual, stock as a rock

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Jaybools View Post
        Hey mate, are you able to elaborate at all about what you did to the 2.8 pump? I know heaps of people would find it extremely useful.

As someone who has just bought a DiD with 239k on it, trying to alleviate the fiscal fears brought about by bad pump. No symptoms yet though....

Cheers
        Remember that here in Australia, going backwards from an electronic controlled pump to the mechanical pump is likely be deemed a backwards step from an emissions perspective, and not considered roadworthy. Unless you can prove the mechanical pump meets the same emission standards as the electronic I wouldn't attempt to engineer / register such a change.

For off-road use only, where registration authorities don't need to know what you've done , I'd be keen to know how it all goes.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Jaybools
          • Sep 2019
          • Australia

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
          Remember that here in Australia, going backwards from an electronic controlled pump to the mechanical pump is likely be deemed a backwards step from an emissions perspective, and not considered roadworthy. Unless you can prove the mechanical pump meets the same emission standards as the electronic I wouldn't attempt to engineer / register such a change.

For off-road use only, where registration authorities don't need to know what you've done , I'd be keen to know how it all goes.
          Yep I agree. I think the main use-case is if you're out bush or cash strapped for some reason, and need a cheap stop gap. 2.8 availability is likely to be higher and depending what's involved, might get you out of the shit for enough time to source a reasonably priced (ergo less then $4k) VRZ from overseas.

Comment

• maxwin
            • Sep 2019
            • Costa blanca -Spain

Hello to all,

i think on the environmental side in europe, are the strictest regulations, so a bit too much smoke is a fail..

The vrz pumps are real smokers despite al the crappy design and a lot of electronics..sensors, ecu,s.

When your engine is in a health condition, and the cat is still there, injectors ok, smoke is nothing.

when you need a bit more power, turn up the pump, and some more boost,

What contaminates the world is, the overpopulation of the world.. airtraffic .. ships .. chinese ..indian industries.. russian industries.. so dont feel bad, if there comes a bit of fume out of your engine,
            But ok thats my point of view..

Have also a short youtube video online of the first run. wil post more later.

Comment

• maxwin
              • Sep 2019
              • Costa blanca -Spain

Originally posted by nj swb View Post

In fact a electronic pump does not excist, its still a mechanical part that builds the pressure.

Are more of these mods on youtube, but most of them in russian language.

Comment

• maxwin
                • Sep 2019
                • Costa blanca -Spain

Originally posted by Jaybools View Post

Cheers

First modify the frontplate of the pump, as this have to turn, otherwise it wont fit under the manifold.

Make a new support on the back of the pump, do this precise for avoiding tensional stress on the pump.

Check timing put new marks on it.

From the vrz i used the 4 valves on the high pressure side of the pump, otherwise your fuellines wont fit.

Take the throttle cable from a 2.5 pajero, the hole is already there, just drill the small plate out, also the 2 nuts to mount the cable support are already there ( they know about the problems upfront )

Modify the pedal for adapting the cable.. leave the original position potentiometer in place. otherwise your 4x4 systems stays blinking.. but with blinking it still works.

For the rev counter you have two options.. you can use the hallsensor from the ve pump, but you have to make a interface to modify the signal.. ( small electronic circuit, 2 transistors and 1 ic )

Or you can put one of the original speedsensors on the pulley of the fan.. only have to add 4 metal teeth ( bolt with nut ) to get the rev on the dash correct.

Without revcounter your airco wont work..

Connect also the tempsensors, for working airco to..

Rest of the unused plugs, put them under the battery tray, you can connect the egr and the butterfly valve if you like, only remove the round valve part.

Take the eml led out, as this lights up..

Most difficult is to make the frontplate of the pump, i modified the original one, tig welded the inside, and drilled / treathed 2 new 8mm studs for the pumpmount.. have some pics somewhere, i have to look..

That was it .. more or less

Comment

• maxwin
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Costa blanca -Spain

Also clean out your tank.. in mine a lot of metal, not only the picture, inside a lot more.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Jaybools
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Australia

Thanks for that mate.. Yeah pics would be awesome if you can be bothered!

Comment

• fieldmouse
                      • Mar 2009
                      • Newee Creek

common rail or not?

I thought all diesel NP's were common rail, but reading some of these post thats not the case. How can I tell if its common rail or direct?

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2016
                        • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by fieldmouse View Post
                        I thought all diesel NP's were common rail, but reading some of these post thats not the case. How can I tell if its common rail or direct?

NS was the first Pajero with Common Rail.

Comment

• csimic
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2012
                          • Maitland

Did you say $5000? for a fuel pump

Hi did you say you paid $5000 (5k) for a diesel fuel pump? I bought a new bosch fuel pump for my Pajero about a year ago brand new off Ebay for $750 and our local Diesel Mechanic fitted it and set up the timing etc for $300 total of $1050 and I thought that was bad. Are you sure it cost $5000 or did you mean $500?

Cheers mick
                          2010 Pajero VRX auto wagon, Cooper A/T 3's, 40mm lift, Lovells, Bilsteins, Polyair bags, Factory Nudge bar, driving lights, dual air cond, DVD player (rear) Hayman Reese Super Heavy Duty Tow bar, Bushskinz front/intercooler and engine sump, Polaris towing camera system, Clearview Mirrors, tows 2013 dual axle Jayco Outback Discovery Caravan. Redlec battery shutoff, Polaris HUD speedo. 400LMT Navman GPS. GME 88 channel UHF Radio. Bendix Stealth 4WD Disc Pads

Comment

• HomerJ
                            • Jul 2009
                            • Warrnambool, Vic

Non common rail fuel pump costs more, like, sell a kidney more.

Comment

• JHwick
                              • May 2015
                              • Wollongong

Dredging up an older thread here but I'm trying to figure out if the symptoms that I'm getting are a sign of fuel pump demise or something else.
                              I've read lots about lumpy idle, smoke and whatnot, but I don't have any of that.
                              Here's what I've been getting:
                              • Every now and then I get a brief 'over-rev' when I turn the engine off.
                              • On a couple of occasions the car has failed to start - it turns over fine but it's as though there's no fuel getting to the engine (wasn't filter or fuel line related - I unhooked the battery, left it overnight and it started the following morning). This has happened twice in three months.
                              • Some time back I had an engine warning light. Took it to a mechanic and they said it was for the engine speed sensor.
                                I've looked into replacing the sensor but haven't gotten around to it - not had a warning light since though. Maybe this has something to do with the weirdness.
                              Any ideas - has anyone encountered these symptoms before their pump died?

Oh, and the engine has 320,000 on it. Previous owner had the pump rebuilt at 160,000km.

Cheers!
                              Previously: 1988 NF SWB (fitted with a Commodore EFI V6), then a modified Patrol before returning to a 2002 3.2 DID (ebay intercooler & some bigger pipes).
                              Now: NX GLS MY15

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X