• Show
Clear All
  • marcthelegend
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2008
    • Gosnells, WA

Ferret tyre deflator

Hello all,

Just thought I would do a quick write up on a tyre deflator I bought a while back, sorry if its a little long, still practicing with write-ups, also I have no affiliation with the manufacturer.

When I was doing lots of sand driving where I was letting my tyres down almost every weekend, I was getting a little tired of kneeling next to each tyre for 5 minutes at a time using a stick to push the valve in, checking every 30 seconds or so and having sore legs afterwards.

So I had a hunt on ebay for tyre deflators, came across the ferret deflator for a little over 20 dollars at the time (30 dollars now) paid on a tuesday, had it by wednesday, so arrival time was great!!

The way it works is it screws onto the valve, you then unscrew the core, it stays in the little unit (no more valve cores buried in the sand!), and it lets out so much air, roughly 1psi per second, once you let out the right amount, you screw in the core again and remove the tool from the vavle.

When I first tested it I was in the driveway, all I can say is WOW! it deflated the tyre so bloody fast! As the demo video stated, it lets out aprox 1psi per second, and timing it by my watch was basically spot on! i was running 35 psi at the time, had it down to 15 in roughly 20 seconds!

The next time I used it was sunday lol (nearly a year later ) my uncle has a rodeo, running 36psi, he went down to 18 using a stick and guage lol.
    I have the pajeo running 45psi, I aired down to 18 with the ferret deflator and guage, needless to say I finished all four while he was still on his second!! and i had way more air to let out!

Have timed it all and can install the delator in roughly 7 seconds, unscrew the valve core in 3, deflate in 27, screw in valve core in 3 and remove in 7, so basicall it takes me 50 seconds to let down one tyre (previously 4mins+).

All up I would definitely recommend these to anyone, 30 bucks is still way cheaper than most deflators out there and these really work well.

Ebay link: here

Demo video: here

Thanks

Marc
    05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
    brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)
  • arnijr
    • Oct 2009
    • Gardabaer, Iceland

I have two valves each wheel, one just regular and the other has no valve core, just the cap holding the air in. Furthermore the base of that valve has been drilled out to enlarge the hole. Deflates really fast and I also use that for most of the inflation, less resistance means quicker inflation. Only thing to watch out for is to hold on tight to the valve cap and have extras handy...
    Trucks running bigger tires here commonly have a bigger valve, where you can just turn a lever to open them fully. They will also sometimes have a quick connector on that valve and a matching connector on their air compressor/tank system.
    Secondary valves can obviously only be installed with the tire off the rim. With steel wheels it's easy, just a hole to drill.

1998 lwb 2.8TDI, 40mm suspension lift, 33x12.50R15 BFGoodrich All-Terrain tires, 10" wide steel rims.

Comment

• OnPatrol
      Pajero Club Driver Training Officer
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by marcthelegend View Post
      Hello all,

Just thought I would do a quick write up on a tyre deflator I bought a while back, sorry if its a little long, still practicing with write-ups, also I have no affiliation with the manufacturer.

When I was doing lots of sand driving where I was letting my tyres down almost every weekend, I was getting a little tired of kneeling next to each tyre for 5 minutes at a time using a stick to push the valve in, checking every 30 seconds or so and having sore legs afterwards.

So I had a hunt on ebay for tyre deflators, came across the ferret deflator for a little over 20 dollars at the time (30 dollars now) paid on a tuesday, had it by wednesday, so arrival time was great!!

The way it works is it screws onto the valve, you then unscrew the core, it stays in the little unit (no more valve cores buried in the sand!), and it lets out so much air, roughly 1psi per second, once you let out the right amount, you screw in the core again and remove the tool from the vavle.

When I first tested it I was in the driveway, all I can say is WOW! it deflated the tyre so bloody fast! As the demo video stated, it lets out aprox 1psi per second, and timing it by my watch was basically spot on! i was running 35 psi at the time, had it down to 15 in roughly 20 seconds!

The next time I used it was sunday lol (nearly a year later ) my uncle has a rodeo, running 36psi, he went down to 18 using a stick and guage lol.
      I have the pajeo running 45psi, I aired down to 18 with the ferret deflator and guage, needless to say I finished all four while he was still on his second!! and i had way more air to let out!

Have timed it all and can install the delator in roughly 7 seconds, unscrew the valve core in 3, deflate in 27, screw in valve core in 3 and remove in 7, so basicall it takes me 50 seconds to let down one tyre (previously 4mins+).

All up I would definitely recommend these to anyone, 30 bucks is still way cheaper than most deflators out there and these really work well.

Ebay link: here

Demo video: here

Thanks

Marc
      Thanks for the write-up Marc. $30 seems to be good value. For a bit more cost, the ARB deflator will do the same thing, but it has a gauge to check the pressure.

Another item I use is an air chuck. You know the bit at the end of the air hose. You can buy them cheap (minus the hose). Just attach it to the valve and let the air out. You don't have to remove the chuck to check the pressure with a gauge.

Comment

• MickyDeee
        • Nov 2009
        • Seville Grove, W.A

The best tyre deflators in my oppinion are Staun tyre deflators , simply remove cap and then fit deflator they can be set to any pressure , comes in a pouch with four of them , so one for each tyre, bye the time you have fitted one to each tyre the first one is at the set pressure , simply remove it and ut the cap back on.www.staunproducts.com.

Mike.
        NM 3.5 2001 Exceed, 20% ---5% premium tint, GME 3200 uhf, narva spotlights, factory bullbar, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, kumho kl61 tyres, Projecta 150 dual battery setup.

Comment

• Dakar-01
          • Jul 2008
          • Geraldton

i love my stauns... tho after plenty of use... they dont seem to stop deflating anymore...

When the tyre looks really bellied out i unscrew the staun to stop it.. screw it back on, and find it aint letting air out anymore... so i assume something is wrong.

Ive tried lubing them up with some silicone spray... hasnt seemed to help

I reset them the other day.. will try to reset them again.. and will try some more silicone spray...

Any other ideas?? as i dont wanna buy more.. i think the stauns are great... mybe mine are just overused.,
          2004 MK Triton v6. 2.5zorst. Xtractors no cat' highflow muffler. KN airflow n Hiclone. (Nuthin lost). Spots n worlights n patrol wheels with 265 75 16 yoko at.
          Nolothaned swaybar. Next on list is suspension an hd control arms

Comment

• marcthelegend
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2008
            • Gosnells, WA

I was using the air chuck as MickyDeee suggested, except after sitting in the floor storage thing under everything, the needle no longer moves and its really bent etc. so I just gave up on that lol also it was rather inaccurate for me (cheapo).

Was looking at stauns originally, but decided the price tag was a little large for me and I dont really mind getting down on my knees to air down, also the 40 dollar saving (50 at the time) meant I could buy something else (like an air compressor hose) but now I need the chuck lol too much guess work when inflating my tyres now haha

Marc
            05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
            brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)

Comment

• bakerboy
              "valued 3000+ member"
              • May 2008
              • Perth

Originally posted by Dakar-01 View Post
              i love my stauns... tho after plenty of use... they dont seem to stop deflating anymore...

When the tyre looks really bellied out i unscrew the staun to stop it.. screw it back on, and find it aint letting air out anymore... so i assume something is wrong.

Ive tried lubing them up with some silicone spray... hasnt seemed to help

I reset them the other day.. will try to reset them again.. and will try some more silicone spray...

Any other ideas?? as i dont wanna buy more.. i think the stauns are great... mybe mine are just overused.,
              are they set correctly? are you unscrewing from the base not the top? maybe a bit of loctite to stop it from moving?

if you find you want to take them off, then put them back on, and they dont start again try pulling on the stem at the top. this will happen as they are either very close to or at the preset pressure
              If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by bakerboy View Post
                are they set correctly? are you unscrewing from the base not the top? maybe a bit of loctite to stop it from moving?

if you find you want to take them off, then put them back on, and they dont start again try pulling on the stem at the top. this will happen as they are either very close to or at the preset pressure
                As he said.

And the silicon spray may actually be creating a drag on the poppet, which could be making the problem worse, not better.

Try disassemble, clean real good, re-assemble and re-set.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Zahlor
                  • Oct 2018
                  • USA

This is seemingly an old thread, but I'll add my two cents.

Some of the additional advantages of the Staun Tyre Deflators:
                  1. Fastest tire deflators on the market.
                  2. Easy to use, no tools required.
                  3. Extremely accurate; within .o5 psi of set pressure.
                  4. Can air down all four tires unattended, simultaneously.
                  5. Can drive a vehicle while tires are deflating. arb tire deflators in that, they are preset to 1.5 Bar, so when I arrive at the venue I unscrew the valve caps and screw these units on. Then I go about chatting and greeting everyone, maybe some admin, etc all while the tires deflate to the pressure I want. The only time where I will deflate more than 1.5 is when I do sand driving, but then I have the badger tire deflator for that.

What is nice about the Stauns is, you hit a gravel road... you stop, screw-on these deflators and you drive further. Then a few km's down the road or at your destination you just unscrew and replace valve caps. This way you have a nice and soft ride on gravel roads and are at lesser of a risk of being hijacked etc as the time you spend standing beside the road is very little

All the best, Zahlor
                  Last edited by Zahlor; 06-03-20, 12:52 AM.

Comment

• Axis
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2011
                    • Highett Vic

Originally posted by Zahlor View Post
                    What is nice about the Stauns is, you hit a gravel road... you stop, screw on these deflators and you drive further. Then a few km's down the road or at your destination you just unscrew and replace valve caps. This way you have a nice and soft ride on gravel roads and are at lesser of a risk of being hijacked etc as the time you spend standing beside the road is very little
                    I like the idea of quick deflating but never heard of someone being hijacked while deflating tyres here.
                    07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• hinsch
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2010
                      • Perth

Zahlor is in the USA so hijacking could be possible
                      NX 2016 GLS, Graphite, Nudge Bar, Pirelli Scorpion Plus.

Comment

• nj swb
                        Resident
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Adelaide

I suspect he has also spent time in South Africa.
                        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X