• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tommyb10
    • Sep 2018
    • Adelaide, SA

Fitting factory rails to PB

Recently purchased a 2011 LS PB Challenger, but it didn't come with roof rails

Just wondering how hard of a job it is to install the factory rails if sourced from a wrecker?

Assuming I'll need to drill holes and remove the headliner? Does the model without rails come with any sort of marking for where the holes will need to be?

Other option is to get the Rhino track system but those don't actually fit inside the roof channel and might look strange? If anyone has these installed could you send a photo, can't find anything online.

Cheers!
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Tommy,

Welcome to the PB/PC Challenger sub forum.
    The factory roof rails are not overly strong or long so it really depends on what you intend to carry on the roof. If you are going to carry more than 60kg including cross bars, platform/basket or long items such as Kayaks, then I suggest you look at the Frontrunner flat platform and roof rail system, in my opinion it is better than the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform and Backbone system.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• tommyb10
      • Sep 2018
      • Adelaide, SA

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
      Hi Tommy,

Welcome to the PB/PC Challenger sub forum.
      The factory roof rails are not overly strong or long so it really depends on what you intend to carry on the roof. If you are going to carry more than 60kg including cross bars, platform/basket or long items such as Kayaks, then I suggest you look at the Frontrunner flat platform and roof rail system, in my opinion it is better than the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform and Backbone system.

OJ.

Thanks OJ,

Not looking to store much up there, just an awning and depending on the trip some recovery tracks, will probably go with just crossbars instead of a platform.

Assuming with the Frontrunner system, you install their universal tracks in the roof channel? I like that, but not so much their bars, seem bulky and not aerodynamic. In a perfect world I'd like the factory rails with flush mount cross bars, seems like that would be the best looking of the options

Comment

• cookie9
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2014
        • Central Coast NSW

yeah I'd be looking elsewhere .. factory rails are hopeless.

I didnt know that you could get backbone system for challenger..
        2011 LS Auto Challenger, Ultimate 50mm suspension lift, Diff breathers, OEM towbar, Bushskinz.....

Comment

• aaron.miller
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2011
          • Epping, NSW

Originally posted by cookie9 View Post
          yeah I'd be looking elsewhere .. factory rails are hopeless.

I didnt know that you could get backbone system for challenger..
          I have seen photos of an Arb backbone fitted to a pb/pc, but afaik it's only to work with the arb cages.
          No increase in roof capacity and the headlining has to come down to fit it still

Aaron
          2012 PB 30th Anniversary Challenger, Arb 2.5m awning, Maxtrax, ORS Platform and MSA dropdown slide, Boo's Bashplates, MSA seat organisers with trays, GME 3120s uhf, GME 4705 UHF, Lovells Springs, Arb Deluxe Bullbar, Mitsubishi tow bar, 265/65 17 D697's At's, triple ram mount with ipad and lots more to come.

Comment

• tommyb10
            • Sep 2018
            • Adelaide, SA

UPDATE: Went to a wreckers and looked at getting the rails off a model that came with them, turns out they have a mounting plate that is welded onto the inside of the roof to reinforce the roof panel. Checked my challenger and it doesn't have these plates, so I'm not going to go ahead with the factory rails.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X