• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdove
    • Oct 2013
    • sunshine coast

A/C Smell

When my car has been sitting for more than a couple of hours the A/C has a real horrible chemical smell when you first turn it on which last's about 5 minutes. I have checked cabin filter etc and all is good and clean. Its definitely not the smell of a dead mouse or anything like that.its a chemical smell. The a/c is working ok, any idea's??
    Cheers
  • ticky
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2015
    • Adelaide

This same issue came up on the forum a couple of weeks ago. The best solution seemed to be to spray the air intake for the aircon with Glen 20.

The most likely cause is water trapped inside the unit, ie., blocked or partially blocked drain hose.

Another point to consider is the use of your Aircon. I use mine every day. I never turn it off. its the best way to look after your aircon.

Steve
    2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• Kumabear
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2013
      • Sydney, Macarther Region

I find I tend to get that at the start of summer if I havnt used the AC in a while.

Seems to clear its self up after its been used a couple of hours at least for me.
      2011 MY12 NW Pajero GL (White)

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:

Comment

• Garc
        • May 2015
        • Perth

Even thought the cabin filter looks clean I would stilll replace it as you can't see mould in the pores.
        Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• Shedtinkerer
          • Apr 2014
          • Melbourne

It is probably a blocked drain hose or you are not running the A/C often or long enough, so moisture stays in the condenser coil and breeds nasties.
          The wife's car mechanic told her to switch off the A/C a few Kms from home?
          Try a can of Clean Air (Brand) "Duct fresh". My mate a A/C repairer gave me a can, Spray it into the air intake inside the cabin area and into each vent with the fan off.
          It is meant to kill mould and clean the ducts no just mask the smell.

MY14 VRX

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X