• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peterng
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2013
    • Northern Rivers NSW

Bugga, Very Sad, but someone will get a bargain

I suppose many have heard that the icon camper trailer manufacturer Aussie Swag is calling it quits and departing from the Campertrailer Industry.
    It is hoped that there will be a buyer of the business interests to carry on the tradition, but then again...one can not hold their breathe for too long.
    The reasons for Aussie Swag Campers departure are "competition" from imported camper trailers taking market share...eventhough Aussie Swag Campers were a premium camper trailer manufacturer...there seems to be shift towards the hybrid type of camper...part caravan...part off road camper...in the 50k market
    Many other Australian camper trailer manufacturers have move into or set up in the Hybrid camper market...it seems that Aussie Swag were not in position to do that..nor did they want to.
    What ever the reasons...it's very sad..
    But...
    There is an auction of Aussie Swag Camper bits and pieces..manufacturing items as well, so there will be a bargain for those who can visit the auction.

Here is the link...http://onlineauctionsaustralia.aucti...ieswagcampers/
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Peterng View Post
    I suppose many have heard that the icon camper trailer manufacturer Aussie Swag is calling it quits and departing from the Campertrailer Industry.
    It is hoped that there will be a buyer of the business interests to carry on the tradition, but then again...one can not hold their breathe for too long.
    The reasons for Aussie Swag Campers departure are "competition" from imported camper trailers taking market share...eventhough Aussie Swag Campers were a premium camper trailer manufacturer...there seems to be shift towards the hybrid type of camper...part caravan...part off road camper...in the 50k market
    Many other Australian camper trailer manufacturers have move into or set up in the Hybrid camper market...it seems that Aussie Swag were not in position to do that..nor did they want to.
    What ever the reasons...it's very sad..
    But...
    There is an auction of Aussie Swag Camper bits and pieces..manufacturing items as well, so there will be a bargain for those who can visit the auction.

Here is the link...http://onlineauctionsaustralia.aucti...ieswagcampers/

Many people prefer Glamping over camping as you dont have to get your hands dirty, sleep in 4 walls, watch tv and sit on a lovely toilet. I,ll never understand the sense in it. Cant believe that people actually pay $50+k for a box to go glamping in. Give me canvas anyday..

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• aaron.miller
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2011
      • Epping, NSW

Aussie swag didn't seem to understand the market or have the ability to adapt to the market.
      We had a look at one at a show, asked was there plans to bring out a version with a queen size bed? Nup no one wants a queen size bed.
      We did
      2012 PB 30th Anniversary Challenger, Arb 2.5m awning, Maxtrax, ORS Platform and MSA dropdown slide, Boo's Bashplates, MSA seat organisers with trays, GME 3120s uhf, GME 4705 UHF, Lovells Springs, Arb Deluxe Bullbar, Mitsubishi tow bar, 265/65 17 D697's At's, triple ram mount with ipad and lots more to come.

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

I don't want to speak ill of the deceased, but the photos on the auction site don't portray a professionally run volume manufacturing facility. More like a back-yard operation that outgrew its premises.

Any Australian organisation competing against the Chinese needs to be efficient. Competing on price alone is never going to work - it needs to be a better product, but still cost competitive within its market. Cost competitive means that, if it's more expensive, it needs to better align with customer expectations, and you won't get there without being efficient.

Aaron has suggested they were out of touch with customer expectations, and (as per above) they don't strike me as efficient.

Survival of the fittest - sad but true.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Peterng
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2013
          • Northern Rivers NSW

There are many angles to the demise of Aussie Swag Campers and it could be discussed over many a campfire with an alcoholic beverage in ones' hand.
          One thing I will say..is that the Aussie Swag Camper was a nice bit of kit and it was quality...the price of a 2000 Rover can fetch 10k in good condition, 2010 models still fetch 25k +
          So they have held their resale value pretty well.
          Aussie Swag Campers were built to last, really last and they didn't just pay "lip service" to that saying...
          I got in, under and around a Aussie Swag camper a few times over the years and checked the workmanship out..the canvas fitting was spot on. the electrics and switches were first class well positioned and strapped up well, the welds were tight and not tacked...nice full body on them and full..there was no wide cap welds to cover short cut pieces in the frame... just really good workmanship...
          Even the Aussie Swag Camper's kitchen setup was well designed, so much so, that Cpmplete Campsite copied the design for their campers and hybrids.
          Aussie Swag Campers were one of the proponents of camper trailers having "Independent" suspension and for many years built their own in house...same with Kimberly Campers in Ballina.

It was some months ago I saw a bloke on the M1 near "Wet n Wild" pulled to the side of the freeway with his pretty new "Black Series" real fold camper missing a left wheel and quiet worst for wear...the wheel was propped up against the barrier with the hub and a bit of the axle still attached..
          Yeh...the market changes, strong survive and all that...

It's just a shame...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X