• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ballfyboy
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Brisbane

Yes Pickle I did pick that up. Oh well, best pulling 300nm I have had.
    NX Pajero with a ARB Frontier LR tank and some semi-big ideas.

Comment

• CharlieDontSurf
      • Mar 2010
      • Melbourne

What do the say in the review about the car??
      2008 Red NS VRX diesel manual, rear diff lock, 6 airbags, rear air, ARB deluxe bar with fog lights, OME suspension lift,Red Arc Remote Head Brake controller, Reverse Camera, ASL automedia iphone cable, Bury system 8 hands free kit, Rola RBXL crossbars with Rhino SQR and Thule Proride bike racks, weird ass half Hayman Reece/half Mitsubishi towbar? Outback Sturt Camper Trailer

Comment

• Tony2
        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by CharlieDontSurf View Post
        http://www.themotorreport.com.au/500...ad-test-review

New review of 5 seat LS. I'm planning on getting a manual but the issues with the auto keep getting mentioned. Is it as bad as the reviewers say?????
        Firstly, let me clarify this post by saying that I haven't driven auto's much so maybe my expectations were high of auto's. I took an auto LS Challenger out for a test drive the other day and came away totally impressed with all aspects of the car except the auto response. I have to agree that it did feel slow to respond to the "go" pedal. Maybe this is normal of all auto's but I was disappointed with the lazy throttle. I found myself thinking "okay, pushing on the accelerator....bit more....bit more"...and then finally some action. I will definitely test the manual when the dealership gets one in soon just to get a feel of the manuals throttle response. As it was only a suburban test drive with general low speed / low revs, maybe the torque range wasn't optimal for basing my opinion on....does it need a good kick in the guts to really get a feel for it?
        As mentioned earlier, I like this car plenty

Tony.

Comment

• wrxtc99
          • Apr 2010

Hi Tony

Just like everyone else I hope to be getting a new challenger in the next couple of weeks, I took an auto for a test drive and like you thought it was a bit sluggish of the mark. Apparently the computer will get to know your driving habits and will soon adjust to the heavy right foot and start sucking on more diesel. Having said that i think my choice will still be the auto as the missus dont drive a manual and I need someone to drive me around after having a few beers

Comment

• norto
            • Jan 2010
            • Batemans Bay

I reckon that motorreport test is the most inaccurate report
            i have ever read.
            Pete

Comment

• BenNSW
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by norto View Post
              I reckon that motorreport test is the most inaccurate report
              i have ever read.
              Out of interest what do you think is inaccurate in the review?

Comment

• Tony2
                • Apr 2010

Originally posted by BenNSW View Post
                Out of interest what do you think is inaccurate in the review?
                .....Fair enough question by Ben....I thought the report was well balanced.

Comment

• norto
                  • Jan 2010
                  • Batemans Bay

Without re-reading the report 2 things come to mind.
                  They said that the handling was very good on the bitumen, this is my 13th 4x4
                  and i think the amount of "push" on the front end means you have to be careful when cornering at highway speeds and they said the engine is noisy.
                  I have just sold a D3 and at 100kph you couldn't hear the engine in it, my Challenger is almost the same.
                  Pete

Comment

• ppeter
                    • Feb 2010
                    • Adelaide SA

When I took the auto for a test drive up the southern expressway (adelaide) the long steep ascent at the begining was no problem for the auto and it definately didnt feel like an "indecisive slushbox " .... a little over exagerated I think !
                    Charcoal PB LS Manual Challenger, Towbar, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, IPF 900XS,GME TX3420 uhf, Coopers S/T Maxx 265/70/17, BushSkinz,

www.ppeter.smugmug.com

Comment

• Tony2
                      • Apr 2010

You know, I've never read a car review anywhere that has been free of some negative comments. In the reviewers eyes, it's not a complete and balanced view unless there's some "cons" to go with the "pro's".

I think the Challenger does very well overall considering it's a vehicle designed for quite a few different purposes.

Tony.

Comment

• Ballfyboy
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2007
                        • Brisbane

Originally posted by Tony2 View Post
                        You know, I've never read a car review anywhere that has been free of some negative comments. In the reviewers eyes, it's not a complete and balanced view unless there's some "cons" to go with the "pro's".

I think the Challenger does very well overall considering it's a vehicle designed for quite a few different purposes.

Tony.
                        Hear, hear.

I really don't have any issues with how the auto works, and I have given mine plenty already I actually smile every time I drive mine. As I have mentioned previously, are they comparing it to some $100K+ euro machine that would not get over the first major bump in a 4x4 park??? Some people like auto's and others like a manual, the extreme end of either group will never agree that the other has any place in their lives. Nothing wrong with that if it suits you. But by the way some of the reviewers gone on about it, I am surprised I can even get out of the driveway
                        NX Pajero with a ARB Frontier LR tank and some semi-big ideas.

Comment

• Wolf
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Tony2 View Post

Tony.
                          You can also notice a sharp distinction between those that reviews that are biased towards on road performance (and list the likes of the Kluger as the alternative vehicles), and those in which the reviewer has both evaluated and appreciated its off-road performance. The Challenger is biased towards off-road, so does much better in the latter type of review.

I still don't get the supposed noisy donk comment that seems to find its way into most reviews. 4X4 Australia's comment that "you'd better hope the kids have their games/DVD players /iPods turned up to full volume" is pretty extreme. I've never found the engine noise to be an issue; in fact barely noticeable in highway driving.

The more I drive this vehicle, the more impressed I am with it. Off-road, it is almost unstoppable.

Cheers

Wolf

Comment

• Tony2
                            • Apr 2010

Agreed, I thought the engine was very quiet, especially at idle with the bonnet up.

Tony2

Comment

• norto
                              • Jan 2010
                              • Batemans Bay

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                              I still don't get the supposed noisy donk comment that seems to find its way into most reviews. 4X4 Australia's comment that "you'd better hope the kids have their games/DVD players /iPods turned up to full volume"
                              Probably only one reviewer has driven the Challenger and the rest are rewording his article
                              Pete

Comment

• GOBO
                                • Jun 2007
                                • Melbourne Aust

Hi Pickle,

Just recieved my copy of track watch. A very comprehensive test of the 'New Challenger' written by 'Dave Howard'.
                                Well done and I will be looking at the Challenger when I replace the Pajero in a year or so.
                                Regards
                                Regards
                                GOBO

11 NT DID Auto, Bushskinz Intercooler Plate, Brown Davis Sump & Trans Steel Plates, ARB Colour Coded Bar, Light Force Lights, GME Radios fixed and handheld, SME Draws, Waeco Fridge, Dual Batteries, Milford Barrier, BFG ATR's.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X