• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scott1482
    • Aug 2010
    • central coast

Snorkel

Looking at putting a snorkel on the challenger, is there any advantage at all? I don’t 4x4 as much as I’d like but I tow a caravan does more cooler and volume of air do anything? And I’m pretty sure myself but the same model triton snorkel bolts straight up right? And has anyone used the tuff terrain brand my mate just put one on his triton and it’s only $96 compared to $400-500 for bigger brands but they are all made from the same plastic
  • littleriver
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2013
    • Queensland

there's a lot of debate about whether there are improvement's in fuel economy, ram air (@100km maybe) but the intake is at the front of the vehicle does quite well with that ...

Had done a trip to Birdsville and on the way back had stopped overnight next to a new Patrol ... was checking his airfilter (had a snorkel) - his airfilter was blocked to the kilt .. so I decided to check mine (no snorkel) was clean as a whistle (he was shocked) ... maybe he was behind a convoy or something ...

TJM has the same part number for the Triton

Safari has a different part number - although some say it still fit's - Safari say it's a little different ...

NB it's a must if you are doing deep water crossing's say up the Cape - but that said you would also have to extend your breathers ...

Also a well known insurance company has just increased their excess for water ingress for such occasions where the driver may have been incompetent ... but still they pay ... (just remember to walk it first) ...

Let the debate begin ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• scott1482
      • Aug 2010
      • central coast

The only time I’m planning a water crossing would be on a Fraser Island trip but in saying that I have no lift so that restricts me I chose against lifting as I feel it’ll stop me from dinging up and scratching my car but I have pushed it to the limit of a stock car plenty of times, but my mate has just put a 3”exhaust on his triton from the turbo back and a snorkel and he reckons it makes a difference but I’m not sure

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

1. On a common rail diesel engine with intercooler and variable inlet vane turbo charger a snorkel makes no difference to the engine performance.
        2. It will cause a slight increase in fuel consumption at highway speeds due to drag.
        3. It will cause more intake noise and what is already a noisy engine.
        4.Because the Challenger takes it air from behind the front bonnet lip the air is actually cleaner than taking it from the top of the A pillar, it would be another story if the intake air was sourced from the inner wheel arch like the Pajero Sport. We do about 1/3,of our kms off the bitumen so that 5,000 to 7,000kms a year on dirt roads, I do not travel in other people's dust when in convoy so the only dust driven through is that of oncoming vehicles and my factory air intake does not cause the air filter to block with dust.
        5. A snorkel does not make your car into a boat or submarine, the engine electrical and electronics are lower than the factory air intake, however if you a doing lots of deep water crossing in the High Country a correctly sealed good quality snorkel will reduce the chance of water being sucked into the engine if you misjudge the water depth or the forming of the bow wave.
        6. Unless the water is crystal clear and clean, do not drive through water that is more than 400mm deep (centre of wheel hubs) without fitting a blind to prevent the dirty water being forced through the radiator and other heat exchangers. The dirty water is ladened with very fine slit which will block up the air pathways in the heat exchangers and cause over heating. Also tie the viscous fan up to prevent it from operating and spraying water all over the engine or flexing into thr back of the radiator.
        7. Factory wading depth is 600mm so this is just below the top of the rim, but at this depth expect the bow wave to come over the front section of the bonnet.
        8. Make sure ventilation system is selected to recycle otherwise if water comes up to the base of the windscreen then water will enter the cabin via the fresh air vents an run down the inside of the firewall, the Auto trans ECU is mounted on the firewall so this can get flooded and fried!
        8. Golden rule is always walk the crossing and if the current is too strong to walk the crossing then it is too strong to drive it. Dirty fast flowing water is dangerous, it can contain debris that will impact the side of your car and you will never see it coming.
        9. A modern 4wd that is empty and weighs about 2100kg can start to float in as little as 400mm. The back end will lift off and you will lose drive and direction control. A fully loaded 4wd weighing 2700+kgs will fare better and take slightly deeper water before it starts to float.
        How much floodwater does it take to carry a car away? A world-first experiment shows how even slow-moving water packs a powerful punch.

10. Have windows down next to all seats that are occupied so you can escape if it all goes wrong.
        11. If traveling with others have a recovery strap already attached to your vehicle.
        12. Have different recovery plans for if you get stuck at the start, middle or end of the crossing.

I do not have a snorkel but if the High Country was my local regular playground then I would.

OJ.
        Last edited by old Jack; 18-03-18, 04:48 PM. Reason: Factory wading height changed to 600mm
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• amec
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Wamberal

I went with the TJM offering.
          I saw no difference in engine performance. If there was an increase in fuel consumption, it was minimal. Mind you i have all the farkles that are supposed to increase fuel consumption.
          On our trip home from Mt Buller with ski's on the roof racks our worst was 12lph at -5c. Once ambient got above 4c we were getting 9.5lph at 100kph. That was indicated on the in car display.
          Crossing the Turon had water come up over the bonnet. Nice having the snorkel on then.
          PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.

Comment

• littleriver
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2013
            • Queensland

OJ makes great advice... with yrs of 4wding

I thought about knee high (400mm) was a good idea also

NB 600mm listed wading depth

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011

Thanks LR, post corrected to 600mm.

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Giddyup
                • Oct 2013
                • Melbourne

If you go through water around 500mm+ without stopping the viscous fan, as OJ said, the fan will flick water around the engine bay. It will get splashed up onto the underside of the bonnet then drips down into the factory inlet.
                MY14 Titanium manual. Stock.

Comment

• Toddyh
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2013
                  • Lalor Park, NSW

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
                  OJ makes great advice... with yrs of 4wding

I thought about knee high (400mm) was a good idea also

NB 600mm listed wading depth

Lifts, bigger wheels, bull bar, rear bar mean all those angles are increased on my car. All except the 45 side angle. That's just plain scary.
                  2010 PB LS- ARB Bull Bar, Runva 11XP winch, Cooper ST Maxx 265/70/17, Ultimate suspension lift, Bushskinz plates, Kaymar rear bar with single wheel carrier.

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Toddyh View Post
                    Lifts, bigger wheels, bull bar, rear bar mean all those angles are increased on my car. All except the 45 side angle. That's just plain scary.
                    When calculated t is roughly 2.5 degree decrease in static roll over angle for every 50mm increase in ride height unless you but a roof rack on and load it with 50KG+.

It is almost impossible to operate a 4wd at 35 degrees cross slop and most people are uncomfortable by 25 degrees, which is a good thing.

Roll over angles are measured when the vehicle is level front to rear and static, get some forward, rearward and or sideward motion and or add some angle/pitch front to rear and you can roll at much lesser angles than 45 degrees. Google 4wd roll over and the internet is full of rollovers that happen all well below the manufacturers roll over angle.

OJ.

Comment

• whereswes
                      • Feb 2015
                      • Melbourne, Australia

Originally posted by Giddyup View Post
                      If you go through water around 500mm+ without stopping the viscous fan, as OJ said, the fan will flick water around the engine bay. It will get splashed up onto the underside of the bonnet then drips down into the factory inlet.
                      Due to prime real estate in engine bays these days, viscous fans are fitted up with minimal clearance to the radiator.

Theory is (and I don't know of anyone personally that this has happened to) excessive water propulsion will flex the plastic blades into the radiator core and take out some of the fins.

Logically makes sense, but how often does it happen? Dunno

Cheers
                      Wes
                      2014 Auto PC Challenger, TJM Bar with Centre/Side LED Bars & 12,000lb Winch, Uniden UHF, ARB Rack with single row LED Bar & Awning, Safari Snorkel, Boos Bash Plates, 265-75R16 BFG KM2s, 100AH AGM Battery and Redarc DC-DC to power Waeco, Custom rear interior, HR Towbar, Combo suspension (Lovells front/ARB rear), Brown Davis LR tank, Diff Breathers, 2 1/2" S/S cat back, ScangaugeII, Munji EGR controller, Bushskinz side steps, DPChip, LM8,

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X