• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lynee
    • Jun 2011
    • tuncurry

brakes needed replacing at 58,000 km

I have a sept 2012 challenger . At the last service which was done at 58000 km they had to replace the rear inner brake pads asthey had premature wear due to the fact that the calipers had seized .

I have spoken to the service center with NO help and emailed Mitsubishi who did ring me back immediately but they said brake pads are not covered under warranty but I said they had premature wear due to caliper seizing. They said still no refund of the money I paid for pads and the extra labour as it was not a mechanical warranty fault .

The service center initially said dirt may have got into the caliper . IT IS A 4WD !!!!! but in saying that I drive on dirt roads maybe once a month if lucky and I do wash my car !

SO everyone be aware of this and be aware that you could be $154.63 more out of pocket .

I AM NOT HAPPY AT ALL.
  • lynee
    • Jun 2011
    • tuncurry

brake pads needed replacing at 58000 km

On the 13/8/15 my Mitsubishi Challenger was serviced at Taree. It was the 60,000 km service and the car had 58604 km on the odometer.

When I picked up the car he said the brake calipers had seized causing premature wear. The desk clerk said they had dirt on them !!!!

The problem as I see it is that never have I needed to replace rear brake calipers at 58,000 km. The brake calipers on previous 4wd's have lasted up to `120,000 km.

I do not understand why I had to pay the cost of labour and parts to replace these pads. Yes if the car had done 120,000 km or so and it was general wear and tear I fully understand. If a part has seized under normal use I do not know why I am responsible for the cost . It should have been a warranty claim.
    ( and my car is mostly used for urban driving in a small country town or a holiday once a year and some driving on expressways. It is kept clean as well )

I emailed Mitsubishi and they rang me back and said NO to my request for reimbursement . Brake pads are not covered and seized calipers is not a mechanical problem !!!!

SO be aware you could be up for $154.63 as well.

I am not happy at all.

Comment

• littleriver
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2013
      • Queensland

Originally posted by lynee View Post
      I have a sept 2012 challenger . At the last service which was done at 58000 km they had to replace the rear inner brake pads asthey had premature wear due to the fact that the calipers had seized .

I have spoken to the service center with NO help and emailed Mitsubishi who did ring me back immediately but they said brake pads are not covered under warranty but I said they had premature wear due to caliper seizing. They said still no refund of the money I paid for pads and the extra labour as it was not a mechanical warranty fault .

The service center initially said dirt may have got into the caliper . IT IS A 4WD !!!!! but in saying that I drive on dirt roads maybe once a month if lucky and I do wash my car !

SO everyone be aware of this and be aware that you could be $154.63 more out of pocket .

I AM NOT HAPPY AT ALL.
      Bit unfortunate
      It's quite common for foreign objects to get trapped between pad and disc.
      I make sure when washing car that I also give the brakes a bit of a hose down to free up any debri (brakes cooled down of course - so as not to possibly warp disks) and check that nothings trapped between pad and disc.

$154 for brake pad change with labour isn't too bad (they could have charged a lot more... appears they charged only whole sale price for the pads).
      If it makes your feel any better, a few other challenger/triton owners are changing discs as well as pads around the same km's ... lucky it was just the pads

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Jeffwatkins
        • Apr 2015
        • Jamisontown NSW

The problem as I see it is that never have I needed to replace rear brake calipers at 58,000 km. The brake calipers on previous 4wd's have lasted up to `120,000 km.

Calipers on my NS are up to 283,000.

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

on the 13/8/15 my mitsubishi challenger was serviced at taree. It was the 60,000 km service and the car had 58604 km on the odometer.

When i picked up the car he said the brake calipers had seized causing premature wear. The desk clerk said they had dirt on them !!!!

The problem as i see it is that never have i needed to replace rear brake calipers at 58,000 km. The brake calipers on previous 4wd's have lasted up to `120,000 km.

I do not understand why i had to pay the cost of labour and parts to replace these pads. Yes if the car had done 120,000 km or so and it was general wear and tear i fully understand. If a part has seized under normal use i do not know why i am responsible for the cost . It should have been a warranty claim.
          ( and my car is mostly used for urban driving in a small country town or a holiday once a year and some driving on expressways. It is kept clean as well )

i emailed mitsubishi and they rang me back and said no to my request for reimbursement . Brake pads are not covered and seized calipers is not a mechanical problem !!!!

So be aware you could be up for $154.63 as well.

I am not happy at all.
          i assume that they notified you before commencing the work about the issue and cost?
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• GHendo
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2012
            • Northern NSW

Yeah, I agree with Littleriver – I think you got off pretty lightly really – $150 these days is peanuts for a repair. I am a little confused however as if the calliper had seized, they would have had to remove it and put a new kit in it – they would have probably charged you more than $150 for that – or is that what the $150 is for ? A set of pads (both front or both rear) for my Pajero are about $80, so with labour I would expect to pay what you did – if they repaired the calliper as well you really got off lightly.

Cheers

Geoff
            03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• lynee
              • Jun 2011
              • tuncurry

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
              i assume that they notified you before commencing the work about the issue and cost?

They phoned me when I was walking around the shops ( I do not live in that town ) they did not tell me the cost, they said the pads had 2000 km left on them only !!!!! ( not sure if this actually true ) I was leaving to take my daughter on a girls road trip the next week so of course I had no choice but to say yes. AT this time they did not say it was caused by a seized caliper .

Comment

• lynee
                • Jun 2011
                • tuncurry

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
                Bit unfortunate
                It's quite common for foreign objects to get trapped between pad and disc.
                I make sure when washing car that I also give the brakes a bit of a hose down to free up any debri (brakes cooled down of course - so as not to possibly warp disks) and check that nothings trapped between pad and disc.

$154 for brake pad change with labour isn't too bad (they could have charged a lot more... appears they charged only whole sale price for the pads).
                If it makes your feel any better, a few other challenger/triton owners are changing discs as well as pads around the same km's ... lucky it was just the pads

I do hose around the brakes and wheels as well. I have owned 4wd's since 1981 . BUT I do not get under car to actually check them . Never have and never had a problem in the past.

Comment

• lynee
                  • Jun 2011
                  • tuncurry

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
                  Yeah, I agree with Littleriver – I think you got off pretty lightly really – $150 these days is peanuts for a repair. I am a little confused however as if the calliper had seized, they would have had to remove it and put a new kit in it – they would have probably charged you more than $150 for that – or is that what the $150 is for ? A set of pads (both front or both rear) for my Pajero are about $80, so with labour I would expect to pay what you did – if they repaired the calliper as well you really got off lightly.

Cheers

Geoff
                  they "lubricated rear caliper slides and pins "

Comment

• spot01
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • Adelaide

I have to agree with the dealer on this one. I think their charge was quite reasonable.

Even on a road car I doubt this is warranty - on a 4WD there are more potential maintenance items due to the nature of the vehicle's design & use. I does cost more to maintain & repair a 4WD.

I would check the pads after about 5,000 or 10,000km to ensure they are now wearing evenly.
                    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• littleriver
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • Queensland

they "lubricated rear caliper slides and pins "
                      has your vehicle done any beach work lately

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• lynee
                        • Jun 2011
                        • tuncurry

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
                        has your vehicle done any beach work lately

never been on a beach ever.

Comment

• spot01
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2011
                          • Adelaide

Preventative Maintenance Items?

Things like this & the seized rear wheel alignment adjusters many have trouble with makes me wonder whether there should be a supplementary list of service items for our 4WDs when used in dirty conditions (as they should be). Perhaps the MMAL service schedule should have more items included? I wonder if it is worth us putting together such a listing so members can consider if they need to do a few extra preventative maintenance items themselves or request at service time?
                          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• lynee
                            • Jun 2011
                            • tuncurry

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
                            I have to agree with the dealer on this one. I think their charge was quite reasonable.

Even on a road car I doubt this is warranty - on a 4WD there are more potential maintenance items due to the nature of the vehicle's design & use. I does cost more to maintain & repair a 4WD.

I would check the pads after about 5,000 or 10,000km to ensure they are now wearing evenly.
                            I am a single female. I do not feel comfortable inspecting the pads every 5000 kms and do not have the funds to pay a mechanic all the time for this. MY question is why have rear brake pads lasted 120,000 to 160,000 km on previous 4wds which in my previous married life were used for rugged 4wding and beach work and simpson desert etc.

Comment

• littleriver
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2013
                              • Queensland

never been on a beach ever.
                              maybe you should
                              it's great fun

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X