• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fester
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Gympie Qld

Originally posted by unknown View Post
    I'd say the automotive industry is the same. They knowingly produce cars with faulty speedo readings! And have no accountability for it! Surely in this day and age some smart monkey can work out an accurate way of determining speed!
    They don't have to bother. They already make their speedos to be consistent and compliant with legislation which dictates an allowable margin. With many tyre sizes across a model and little variances across tyre brands they don't have to waste any more time and money than they do now.

Comment

• fester
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2013
      • Gympie Qld

Originally posted by SwampFox55 View Post
      mudguard1,

I think we just get used to the new normal and don’t pay much attention unless things bug-us somehow. In my case I’ve got some comparative data, so there’s no question about the changes:

1. Before the last service, when towing my 1.5T pop-top it would unlock from 5th at around 100kph, with a 10kph headwind or, at the slightest increase in gradient. It used to drive me nuts!
      2. After the 30,000km service it would tow locked in 5th at 100kph in 30kph headwinds and up 3% gradients. I could actually tow at 116kph indicated (110kph limit) on the Pacific Freeway to Sydney up the lower slopes, locked in 5th. This was just unimaginable before and I’d be shifting all the time on the Hume and Pacific in the past.
      3. Before the service it would make cycling detonating sounds (5s intervals) clean and towing in 4th at a steady 100kph and was particularly noticeable with cruise set – there was something wrong. I even took the Dealer’s Foreman for a short towing trip with my RV for 50min, last Sep before the service, to demonstrate the sounds. Now clean, it’s like a normal engine, with no cycling combustion noises. I did most of the last RV holiday at steady 100-110kph when on flat ground in 5th , so I can’t say for towing. However, there is no doubt in my mind that there’s been a significant change.

Now, if I hadn’t written these things down, I’d probably have forgotten them with time after the service, even if the improvement in performance was noticed at first. Just human!

m and m,

It wasn’t free. I paid $595 for it, amongst other things.

Cheers,

SwampFox55
      05 Dec 14
      We have had both the 30k service and the cooling recall done recently (separately) and unfortunately I can't say I notice any difference. WE too have the annoying sound you describe.

Comment

• suhua4
        • Nov 2014
        • brisbane

I have a 2012 MN Tirton GLXR had the 30k service done in August, there is "small injection learning using MUTIII" on my invoice as well.

I was reluctant to drive the Triton before as the lag and sluggishness of the gearbox, plus the noise and vibration, plus the fuel if you are not 100% careful with your right foot. I "dumb" it to my wife (she doesn't care) after I got a Transporter for my work. Only last week I had a chance to drive the Triton for something in a hurry and I started realizing the throttle difference. It does feel like a different engine with immediate low range response and reasonably prompted kickdown. A lot quieter too. Fuel in city driving was down at least 2lt with heavier right foot (when you know the car can go you will just push the accelerator deeper). Highway usage is still the same though.

The right software setting is as important as the numbers showing on the paper. It is not the plane number that counts but how they work is more important. MMA has done a great job with this upgrade although it should be done 5 years ago.

Comment

• DaveXT
          • Mar 2010
          • Melbourne Outer East

I can report that mine has had a recent update and at 45000 km it has never run better, kills a lot of cars on hills.

Comment

• m_and_m
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2010
            • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by SwampFox55 View Post
            [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]
            m and m,

It wasn’t free. I paid $595 for it, amongst other things
            Yeah, i know. What i meant was they didnt specifically charge you for it.
            It's not like paying for a perofrmance improvement from a 3" exhaust or chip.
            2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
            2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
            Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

Had latest SQL update done, only driven around city but HUGE improvement in drivability and so far fuel use seems less. Adaptive Learning still sorting gear changes out after AT ECU memory was cleared. Took EGR resistor out a week before and noticed performance difference immediately, will put it back in a weeks time but I want to see if performance drops off after a few kms with the new SQL. No highway or load tests done yet.

cheers, old Jack.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Peebee
                • Jan 2011
                • South Fremantle

Old Jack, what sort of things have you noticed improvements with. I'm hoping mine will get done at the 30,000km service which is due soon. I'll need to get the temp recall done at the same time.

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Peebee View Post
                  Old Jack, what sort of things have you noticed improvements with. I'm hoping mine will get done at the 30,000km service which is due soon. I'll need to get the temp recall done at the same time.
                  The car feels stronger, requires less accelerator pedal to achieve the same acceleration, engine is smoother and quieter, it has lost some of its harshness and resonance at certain rpms.

SQL was done in conjunction with 60,000km service and tappets were adjusted and not just checked, so it may not be all due to the SQL update.

cheers, old Jack.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• cookie9
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2014
                    • Central Coast NSW

You guys running the SPV or resistor mod, have you been removing it before the update? Mine has to go back for the recall and I guess they will do the SQL update also. So should I remove the mod?

cheers
                    2011 LS Auto Challenger, Ultimate 50mm suspension lift, Diff breathers, OEM towbar, Bushskinz.....

Comment

• Rob e g
                      • Jul 2012
                      • Grafton.NSW.

I have just had the over heating recall done and I removed the SPV plug and play EGR mod just to be sure.....the 10 year warranty isnt worth risking.....Not sure if they done any SQL. update or not because the only thing I could notice was the Auto shifting was all over place..EG.. shifting up and down at will.....and a little worse fuel econ.....When I replaced the SPV ..EGR mod I put some sparkplug grease into the connectors and pins to stop any resistance.....The difference was great.....from startup the engine was noticable quieter and stronger...the auto holds on much better and fuel econ...is down by around .8 ltr per 100ks

Comment

• Stoneman
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2012
                        • Melbourne

Correct me if I'm wrong but where does SQL update or reprogram come from

Page 74 of the Mut III manual

NS Pajero Exceed. With stuff

Comment

• Stoneman
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2012
                          • Melbourne

SMALL INJECTION QUANTITY LEARNING PROCEDURE <4M4>

caution
                          If small injection quantity learning has not been executed, the engine warning lamp blinks.
                          When the requirements for learning are satisfied by operation after replacement of the engine-ECU, learning is automatically executed even if no instruction is given from the M.U.T.-III. Accordingly, the malfunction indicator lamp goes off. However, the learning thus executed is tentative and limited. Be sure to complete leaning using the M.U.T.-III.
                          PURPOSE

To keep emission and noise level at adequate levels, the engine-ECU must learn injector fuel injection in idle mode.
                          During learning, the engine-ECU calculates actual injection from each cylinder based on changes in engine speeds and corrects pilot injection control. It then keeps records of this amount of correction as a learned value.
                          For this reason, after the engine-ECU or injector is replaced, learning must be executed using the M.U.T.-III.
                          note Engine friction changes or injector deterioration over time may cause fluctuation in pilot injection. After use over time, it may prevent injection of an accurate amount of fuel according to the indication by the engine-ECU. This is why learning must be executed again periodically.
                          For this reason, the engine-ECU periodically leans injection according to the cumulative mileage.
                          Note that making the M.U.T.-III learn again resets the cumulative mileage.
                          note The engine sound may change or idling engine speeds may increase during injection learning. These are not abnormalities.
                          LEARNING PROCEDURE

1.After the ignition switch is in "LOCK" (OFF) position, connect the M.U.T.-III to the diagnosis connector.
                          2.Put the vehicle in the following idling stable conditions:

Engine coolant temperature: 76 - 100°C
                          Fuel temperature: 30 - 100°C
                          Intake air temperature: -30 to 100°C
                          Barometric pressure: 70 kPa or more
                          Automatic transmission fluid temperature: 60°C or higher
                          Lamps, A/C condenser fan and all accessories: OFF
                          Transmission: Neutral <M/T>, P range <A/T>
                          Power steering: Static state
                          3.Select SPECIAL FUNCTION from the function menu.
                          4.Select "Learning" from the SPECIAL FUNCTION menu.
                          5.Select SMALL INJECTION QUANTITY LEARNING from the SPECIAL FUNCTION menu to execute learning.
                          caution
                          If the vehicle conditions go out of the learning conditions during idling, learning is interrupted.
                          To reexecute learning, the ignition switch must once be turned off.
                          6.Continue idling for about 3 minutes before learning is completed.
                          7.Confirm that the engine warning lamp is off. If it still blinks, reexecute learning.

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011

Stoneman,

I think these are 2 different things,

A "forced " Small Injector Quantity Learning is done at every service as well as automatically when the engine is operating, below is from the Service Manual.

SMALL INJECTION QUANTITY LEARNING

The fuel injection characteristics of the injectors and the friction resistances in the cylinders vary slightly by cylinder. Engine-ECU learns these differences and makes compensations so that the fuel injection amounts in the cylinders are uniform.
                            Engine-ECU uses the crank angle sensor to detect the speed for each cylinder during combustion and memorizes the cylinder differences in the form of learned values. Then, the learned values remain stored in engine-ECU memory until it is updated.
                            This learning takes place automatically after the vehicle travels a predetermined distance. It is normal for the engine to sound somewhat different from the ordinary during the learning process. Furthermore, it is possible to force the engine-ECU to learn through the use of the M.U.T.-III.

My understanding is the SQL is the latest revision of the engine ECU program that is provided by MM, is uploaded into the MUT III and when the MUT III is connected to the OBD plug in the car it updates the ECU program.

cheers, old Jack.

Comment

• Stoneman
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2012
                              • Melbourne

OJ did you read the mut manual?

I'm just curious to where SQL came from

I actually have a mut III

Comment

• old Jack
                                Regular
                                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Stoneman View Post
                                OJ did you read the mut manual?

I'm just curious to where SQL came from
                                Yes, I had a quick read from Pg74 onwards as per your post and I could not find any reference to SQL.

On my latest service report from the 60,000km service it details a "forced small injection quantity learning" was carried out as a part of the usual service and then listed at the end of the report "SQL updated carried out"

This combined with conversations I have had with my Service guys leads me to be confident I am correct.

cheers, old Jack.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X