• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guigui13 View Post
    Hi Davey1
    Thanks for this explanation.

Two questions:
    1) could you explain a bit more where to lube so i can give it a shot to see if it is imrpoving things?
    2) it sounds like most the PC Challenger should have this problem but not many people seem to have the problem. Is my Challenger different to others?

Thanks for ur help
    G
    Hi worked in sales from 97 to 2002 for Mitsubishi and i recon one in every in 10 had this rattle ,bull bars seem to make it worse , if you turn full lock and a quick stab of the accelerator on and off will usually produce the sound if it the spines locking up. My last Challenger i owned a 2001 LS had it , i used to pull the rubber cover back and oil the joint ,its half way down the shaft in engine compartment . i also believe that as the rubber body mounts age letting the body move more will not be helping the problem , there has also been a few QE sports having this noise again column mounted on body , rack mounted on chassis cheers D
    Last edited by Guest; 08-05-18, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• Guigui13
      • Apr 2017
      • Melbourne

Thanks for this.
      I will try and see if it works and report back.

But it sounds like from your explanation that i will have to leave with it yeah?

G
      PC challenger, almost virgin......

Comment

• Guigui13
        • Apr 2017
        • Melbourne

Tried to find the spline connection to grease this morning.
        Due to my superb mechanical skills I struggle to identify it.
        I took a pic, attached, of what i think needs to be greased.

It sits just behind the firewall, behind the steering wheel.
        Is this the one to grease?

Can I use a trailer bearing grease for this?

G
        Attached Files

Comment

• Guigui13
          • Apr 2017
          • Melbourne

Circled what i think needs greasing for clarity.

G
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Guigui13 View Post
            Circled what i think needs greasing for clarity.

G
            Looks like the sliding joint ,pull the rubber back , think grease should be ok ,did try to get the noise like i mentioned

Comment

• JohnGavin
              • Jan 2013
              • South Africa

That issue is know on the challenger and triton as the steering column issue.I had it and got a new column and never had the issue again.Its two small brackets on the column that were designed to aid in the collapse of the column.
              These two small brackets start becoming loose and hence that feeling you get almost like putting a smaller diameter pipe in a larger diameter steel pipe and shaking it.Maybe your agent just did a glue down of the two brackets instead of replacing the whole coloumn as it should be done while vehicle is under warranty

Comment

• JohnGavin
                • Jan 2013
                • South Africa

How to fix the Triton steering column Ok, so another forum member (thank you 4x4Freak) managed to get hold of his old steering column, which was replaced under maintenance plan. I had the column picked up in Cape Town, and brought through to Pretoria for me to inspect. http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=474791&d=1516775935 The Column I received. At first, I could not find anything wrong with the column... All bearings and bushes on the shaft seem to be

Here is how to properly fix it

Comment

• Guigui13
                  • Apr 2017
                  • Melbourne

Thanks everyone

I will try to grease and look for these loose foxing bracket over the WE.

Any comments on escalating to mitsubishi as my dealership does not seem to be very responsive?

G

Comment

• cookie9
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2014
                    • Central Coast NSW

Just had my car serviced (non dealer) and it may be complete coincidence but now there is a slight knock from down near the rack when the car is parked and you turn the steering wheel. car has done 140k

it has had aftermarket bash plates its whole life, but am wondering if its loose bolts.. ??
                    2011 LS Auto Challenger, Ultimate 50mm suspension lift, Diff breathers, OEM towbar, Bushskinz.....

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X