• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scott1482
    • Aug 2010
    • central coast

Intercooler and piping

Been looking at a few mod bits and pieces lately I have come across forefront industries bigger intercooler and stainless steel pipes with silicon hoses they look great has any one done this to their car and did it make a difference if so what did it do?
    I have photos of them but don’t now how to put them on this thread
  • coughy
    Valued Member
    • May 2014
    • Redlands Brisbane QLD

it doesnt make any difference to little m8 not worth the money
    i have a much bigger one installed and waste of time
    My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.
    New Custom Ultimate diesel tuning REMAP,custom rail limiter.

Comment

• littleriver
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2013
      • Queensland

X2 on that. ..

MRT, Roosystems and others also say no benefit. .. save your money for a ECU remap ..

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Bigger intercoolers are for keeping your intake temps down.

They won't provide a significant difference to peak power on a dyno, but when your intake temp is 50 degrees and the next vehicle is 110, which vehicle do you think will have more power at the wheels?

So the real question becomes, how often will you see 110 degree intake temps?
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• scott1482
          • Aug 2010
          • central coast

That’s what I was thinking I’m not going for high power massive boost like a race car but A tuner I was talking to said ecu remap 3” exhaust bigger intercooler stainless intercooler piping catch can and and I-drive throttle controller, I said thanks mate for wasting my time I’ll talk to someone else

Comment

• irsa76
            • Jun 2015
            • Queanbeyan

Bigger intercoolers are like upgraded oil coolers. For normal useage they serve little or no purpose, but when things heat up they provide a larger safety margin.
            Intercoolers rarely provide more power, unless the unit they replaced have massive restrictions. However, if you up the boost then you will see more stable inlet air temps with a better intercooler.
            Another advantage with aftermarket intercoolers is less pressure loss through the core and more durable construction.
            Are they essential? No, the measured benefits aren't noticeable. But they increased temperature stability, reduced pressure drop and improved durability are nice. I'll be looking into one for mine.
            2013 PC Challenger LS. TJM Steelbullbar, 9500lb winch, Ultimate suspension, Polyair bags, ceramic tint and MM4x4 Lockup-Mate.
            And lots of dreams.

Comment

• littleriver
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2013
              • Queensland

Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
              Bigger intercoolers are like upgraded oil coolers. For normal useage they serve little or no purpose, but when things heat up they provide a larger safety margin.
              Intercoolers rarely provide more power, unless the unit they replaced have massive restrictions. However, if you up the boost then you will see more stable inlet air temps with a better intercooler.
              Another advantage with aftermarket intercoolers is less pressure loss through the core and more durable construction.
              Are they essential? No, the measured benefits aren't noticeable. But they increased temperature stability, reduced pressure drop and improved durability are nice. I'll be looking into one for mine.

all of the above sounds great ...

will you be getting an Ecu Remap done with that intercooler upgrade (exhaust also ?) ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• irsa76
                • Jun 2015
                • Queanbeyan

Ideally I'd do the ECU after the intercooler, but I doubt there would be much difference to require a change in tune.
                I also would like to do a turbo upgrade and possibly even fuel pump and injectors, which I suspect would warrant not only the intercooler upgrade but also require further attention to the ECU.

As for which tune I'd go for, it's currently between Roosystems reflash and the plug in DPchip module.
                Although I propably should give my mate at Castle Hill exhaust a call and see if he can play with it.

But first of all, I need the MM4x4 lockup-mate.

Oh and some money to pay for it all!
                2013 PC Challenger LS. TJM Steelbullbar, 9500lb winch, Ultimate suspension, Polyair bags, ceramic tint and MM4x4 Lockup-Mate.
                And lots of dreams.

Comment

• littleriver
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • Queensland

Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
                  Ideally I'd do the ECU after the intercooler, but I doubt there would be much difference to require a change in tune.
                  I also would like to do a turbo upgrade and possibly even fuel pump and injectors, which I suspect would warrant not only the intercooler upgrade but also require further attention to the ECU.

As for which tune I'd go for, it's currently between Roosystems reflash and the plug in DPchip module.
                  Although I propably should give my mate at Castle Hill exhaust a call and see if he can play with it.

But first of all, I need the MM4x4 lockup-mate.

Oh and some money to pay for it all!
                  just be careful as the motor in them is pretty much close to max HP/Torque, safe driveability & longevity ... going down that path of the above may lead to an internal melt down ... you'll want to have probes everywhere measuring temps constantly (especially under load - say on a dyno) ...
                  would be great if you could start up a thread on your progress (dyno graphs etc. )... and fingers' crossed she all goes to plan ... could be even a 14 sec 1/4 mile vehicle ...

Comment

• PeePee
                    Valued Member
                    • Oct 2012
                    • Brisbane

Originally posted by scott1482 View Post
                    Been looking at a few mod bits and pieces lately I have come across forefront industries bigger intercooler and stainless steel pipes with silicon hoses they look great has any one done this to their car and did it make a difference if so what did it do?
                    I have photos of them but don’t now how to put them on this thread
                    I also looked at this, was told by a couple of diesel experts that the flex point of the hoses is reduced to the silicon bits and they would wear out much quicker. I dumped the idea and will replace all the hoses at next service just because I like to know they are in good order.

Remap is worth considering but you will need to upgrade the exhaust as well.
                    MY12 LS Challenger (cool silver) - 7 seater with ARB Deluxe Bar, IPF Driving Lights, Safari Snorkel, Stainless Bashplate, Ultimate Suspension Lift, Redarc electric brakes, ERPS, Dual Battery (Redarc DC/DC), Icom UHF, Rhino sports bars / platform, ARB Awning and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's.

Comment

• Toddyh
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2013
                      • Lalor Park, NSW

I've been running the stainless intercooler pipes for 4 years. way better option than the original hoses IMO. Cheap insurance if you do remote travel like me too.
                      2010 PB LS- ARB Bull Bar, Runva 11XP winch, Cooper ST Maxx 265/70/17, Ultimate suspension lift, Bushskinz plates, Kaymar rear bar with single wheel carrier.

Comment

• littleriver
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • Queensland

Originally posted by Toddyh View Post
                        I've been running the stainless intercooler pipes for 4 years. way better option than the original hoses IMO. Cheap insurance if you do remote travel like me too.

x2 great idea ...

we are also close to doing the same thing ...

Comment

• PT75
                          • Sep 2017
                          • SE Suburbs, Melbourne

A lot of guys are changing over to stainless pipes and silicone hoses from forefront industries as replacement hoses from Mitzi are priced through the roof. They look good but as others have said I doubt it'll make much of a difference

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X