• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

Sorry - I should know but I don't. Is the timing chain tensioner tensioned up by oil pressure from the engine lube system? If it is, this could be your problem - there should be a non-return valve which may be leaking.

Comment

• cooperplace
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2010
      • adelaide

OK, thanks, I'll ask the mechanic about this when he sees the car on Monday.
      A stuck something or other would explain its intermittency.

Comment

• Garc
        • May 2015
        • Perth

I found that poor diesel (eg independent servos) made the noise worse. Also using Chemtech diesel additive quietened it down.
        Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• cooperplace
          Valued Member
          • Oct 2010
          • adelaide

this is a mechanical clatter, not a detonation type noise.

Comment

• basil
            • Apr 2012
            • Gembrook

There are only two things to me that it can be.

One is chain slap which can be apparent more so just before the timing chain tensioner adjusts itself to the next notch which the ratchet and paul set up is adjusting automatically.
            Tappets will not be loud and then be quiet when they are the solid type of lifter used in diesels.

Injection noise due to a faulty (dirty) injector can sound horrendous at times, due to the injection timing drifting. It can sound like you have dropped a rod bearing. It won't be electrical control of the injector, but rather the delay or extension of the injection cycle. It can usually be fixed with a decent cleaner. (90% of the time)

How long does it take on average to become quiet?

Cheers,

Comment

• cooperplace
              Valued Member
              • Oct 2010
              • adelaide

Originally posted by basil View Post
              There are only two things to me that it can be.

One is chain slap which can be apparent more so just before the timing chain tensioner adjusts itself to the next notch which the ratchet and paul set up is adjusting automatically.
              Tappets will not be loud and then be quiet when they are the solid type of lifter used in diesels.

Injection noise due to a faulty (dirty) injector can sound horrendous at times, due to the injection timing drifting. It can sound like you have dropped a rod bearing. It won't be electrical control of the injector, but rather the delay or extension of the injection cycle. It can usually be fixed with a decent cleaner. (90% of the time)

How long does it take on average to become quiet?

Cheers,
              that's great to know. I'll have the guys look at the chain tensioner but I'm leaning towards your second suggestion. This is quite a loud sharp clatter, a metallic banging sound. it goes away after 10-15 seconds, but it's intermittent.
              I'll try a cleaner.

Thanks

Comment

• cooperplace
                Valued Member
                • Oct 2010
                • adelaide

this morning on cold start it sounded perfect: no clatter. I haven't put a cleaner through. The other day it sounded horrendous, like a real $$$$ noise.

Comment

• cooperplace
                  Valued Member
                  • Oct 2010
                  • adelaide

it hasn't done the clatter at cold start for ages, so I'm thinking it must have been an injector noise

Comment

• cooperplace
                    Valued Member
                    • Oct 2010
                    • adelaide

it's still making the noise, very reliably on cold start. Goes away with warmup. I'd describe at as a combination of a slapping sound and a clatter.

Is the chain tensioner on this operated by oil pressure?

Comment

• cooperplace
                      Valued Member
                      • Oct 2010
                      • adelaide

my mechanic suggested it could be drive belts. I was sceptical because it sounds metallic. he said "spray some water on the drive belts and see what happens".

It instantly stopped the noise, so I'm getting new drive belts fitted soon. They've done about 90k km.

Comment

• Alben
                        • Jul 2010
                        • Victoria

It seems like you have sorted it out for now, but is your NS a manual or auto?
                        The dual mass flywheel made a fair bit of noise on startup for us for a few months before it finally let go.
                        2007 Pajero NS VRX - DID, Manual, Cool Silver, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, ARB Aluminium Rack, Awning, Bushskinz, Bilstein & Lovells HD, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, ARB Air Compressor, Lightforce XGTs, GME UHF, Cooper AT3, TPMS and Scan Gauge.

1996 Triton MJ Luxury Double Cab - 4d56T 2.5TD Manual, Snorkel, Canopy & Roof Rack, Side Step/Sliders, Bullbar, IPF Driving Lights, Mickey T MTZ's, GME UHF, Custom Roof Console, Spot Light, Pioneer Head Unit & Speakers, Piranha Dual Battery, Rear Drawers

Comment

• cooperplace
                          Valued Member
                          • Oct 2010
                          • adelaide

it's a manual and you're right about the DMF, which has already introduced itself, and it was replaced a few years ago with a solid f/wheel.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X