X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Avanner
    • Jul 2007

GPS Mounting

This is more about locating a GPS in the Pajero than which GPS to go for. Personally I prefer a big screen and the one pictured is 180mm (7?) diagonally!

The software came on a CDROM which you can shoot onto an SD card in unit via a PC. This enabled me to change to an 8Gb Sandisk Ultra III SD card to fit OziExplorer, as well as provided street maps of Oz & NZ. Paid a bit over $200 on eBay as a new unit.

My criteria has been to have the display axis as close to your normal forward vision as possible so that while viewing screen, your peripheral vision can detect what?s happening ahead. (Amazes me that they ban mobile phones whilst driving & allow a GPS)

First picture is unit. Won?t go into spec, but it has everything including ?video in? for next project (rear camera)

Second pic shows where mounted. It does not obscure forward vision in any way.

Third pic is with visor (or shrouding) fitted.

Pic four is visor to minimise reflections on screen & make it viable on a sunny day. No it?s not unsafe....it?s cardboard! But its impregnated via edges with PVA wood glue & very strong, but again is collapsible.

Fifth shows extra brackets to solidly mount unit & eliminate vibration. It?s still collapsible in a prang as brackets individually bend easily. Expanded airbag would be between you and unit...but a hand could still impact.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Avanner; 09-12-08, 02:15 PM. Reason: Rearrangement of pics
  • whatsupkramer
    • Sep 2007
    • Muswellbrook

Looks good, so you actually found a gps unit at a reasonable price that you can load ozi.
    Chris
    2008 NS 25th Anniversary 3.2L Auto - Mickey Thompson Baja STZ 265/60R18, Tow Bar, ARB Saraha Bar, Old Man Emu Nitro Charger Sport 2" lift.
    Limited Edition Mighty Bulloak Camper Trailer - All mods including a 2" lift.

Comment

• Mike DiD
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Avanner View Post
      . . .
      My criteria has been to have the display axis as close to your normal forward vision as possible so that while viewing screen, your peripheral vision can detect what?s happening ahead.
      . . . .
      I wish people who mount GPS and CBs below the stereo would think that way.

I'm working on a mount for GPS and reversing camera screen that will be above the centre speaker on the dash in an NS.
      Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

• OnPatrol
        Pajero Club Driver Training Officer
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Avanner View Post
        This is more about locating a GPS in the Pajero than which GPS to go for. Personally I prefer a big screen and the one pictured is 180mm (7?) diagonally!

The software came on a CDROM which you can shoot onto an SD card in unit via a PC. This enabled me to change to an 8Gb Sandisk Ultra III SD card to fit OziExplorer, as well as provided street maps of Oz & NZ. Paid a bit over $200 on eBay as a new unit.
        Well done Avanner. Looks great

I've been looking at these reasonably priced units on ebay in the past week or so, but I'm not sure how they perform. I'm not really interested in the software that they come with, but I am interested in your views on how well the gps performs and are the screens good enough in daylight.

Comment

• Avanner
          • Jul 2007

OnPatrol
          Hi

I cannot see one on eBay now, that?s the same, so my opinion doesn?t help much. Besides am not familiar with the performance of any other GPS as a comparison.

Around Melbourne & Vic recently it was a godsend (home is Adelaide), and I was extremely impressed. The supplied software is ?Nav N iGo 8? March 2008 and it seems good to me. I think it?s Windows CE based & seems fast enough.

I can definitely recommend this 7? touch-screen (in a 4WD) Have never seen a better unit for daylight viewing. Though as you can see I fitted a visor as I reckon any LCD screen in sunlight needs shrouding. Note: This is a heavy unit & requires more support than the w?screen suction gizmo.

Roy

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X