• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rancent_Rat
    • Feb 2016
    • Sunshine Coast

Interior Lights Staying On

Help Please,

I notice when I'm driving my interior lights are turning on and off by themselves. Only the main interior light and the one on my in-car dvd player.
    It now seems to stay on all the time so I have just been turning it off at the switch but I would like to know what is causing this to happen. I have noticed on occasions that it does happen while exhilarating.
    Vehicle is a 2005 Pajero NP
    Any help would be great on where to look to rectify this annoying problem.
    2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID
    ARB Bull Bar, HD 13000LB Winch, Boos Bash Plates (intercooler, trans and sump), Bilstein/Lovells 2inch HD Lift, TJM Airtec Snorkel, PolyAir red air bags, Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3 265/70/17, Harrop Elockers Front and Rear, Diff Breathers, Engine Watchdog TM4, Double Din Pioneer Stereo with Reverse Camera and Sensors, Rhino Pioneer SX Platform with full rail kit, Kings 2.5x2.5 side awning, iTronics Front and Rear Dashcams.
  • Aussie_Dan
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Cairns

What is the light in the rear cargo area doing?
    If you open the rear cargo door, the light in the front will also come on. You might have a dodgy switch at the rear cargo door?
    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Rancent_Rat
      • Feb 2016
      • Sunshine Coast

Originally posted by Aussie_Dan View Post
      What is the light in the rear cargo area doing?
      I just went and checked and the rear door light comes on when I open it, however when I push the button in on the rear door the other lights just go dimmer but stays on.
      I have noticed while going over as bump that the rear light comes on but goes away as soon as its smooth again
      2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID
      ARB Bull Bar, HD 13000LB Winch, Boos Bash Plates (intercooler, trans and sump), Bilstein/Lovells 2inch HD Lift, TJM Airtec Snorkel, PolyAir red air bags, Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3 265/70/17, Harrop Elockers Front and Rear, Diff Breathers, Engine Watchdog TM4, Double Din Pioneer Stereo with Reverse Camera and Sensors, Rhino Pioneer SX Platform with full rail kit, Kings 2.5x2.5 side awning, iTronics Front and Rear Dashcams.

Comment

• marcthelegend
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2008
        • Gosnells, WA

Have you checked the door indicator light on the dash? should offer a clue as to which door is the offending one!

Cheers,

Marc
        05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
        brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)

Comment

• Rancent_Rat
          • Feb 2016
          • Sunshine Coast

Originally posted by marcthelegend View Post
          Have you checked the door indicator light on the dash? should offer a clue as to which door is the offending one!

Cheers,

Marc
          No sign of any door indicator lights showing as left open. I have just gone around and tightened all doors and still continues to happen. The lights tend to get brighter when you put your foot on the gas and when you remove it the lights go dull and sometimes turns off but then come on again as soon as I exhilarate again. The rear door interior light doesn't come on it's just the front and middle lights.
          2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID

Comment

• marcthelegend
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2008
            • Gosnells, WA

That's strange, if it were a sensor triggering the lights surely you'd see the corresponding 'door' illuminate on the dash.

Having a look at the wiring diagram and there are only a few triggers, either the door switches, ignition barrel and the ECU when unlocking the door.

Could be a dodgy switch shorting between the 'ON' and 'DOOR' in the light fitting itself? that wouldn't be enough to trigger the door indicators but certainly enough to do everything else.

Cheers,

Marc
            05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
            brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)

Comment

• binda
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2013
              • rocky

I have had a dodgy switch in my rear door. Chances are a door switch is sticking. From memory I just pulled out the switch, removed the rubber boot and gave it a good spray with contact cleaner. Been working ever since.
              04 NP DiD
              Dobinsons shocks and spring - 2" lift with full bush kit, 285/75R16 KO3 BF Goodrich Muddies, IPF 900 Lights, 42" LED lightbar, Snorkel, DIY 3/4 Roof Rack, Milford Cargo Barrier, Single Mass Flywheel Clutch Conversion, using Samsung Galaxy 10 as my GPS device, OziExplorer for Android, wikicamps app to find all the good camp sites. My Travel Blog . My Photography Site . Expedition 4LowDrive

Comment

• Rancent_Rat
                • Feb 2016
                • Sunshine Coast

Originally posted by marcthelegend View Post
                Having a look at the wiring diagram and there are only a few triggers, either the door switches, ignition barrel and the ECU when unlocking the door.
                I might go and buy a couple of new door switches first and see if that fixes the problem. My remote control for the central locking hasn't been working also so they may be linked somehow? The key in the barrel works fine and the ignition barrel seems fine. I was wondering if it was the ECU but nothing else has happened and no lights are showing up on the dash.

I thought also perhaps the alternator may of had something to do with it but I checked voltages with car running and it was 14.1v and when car off 12.9v so I'm sure that's not the problem.

Only other thing it could be is a earthing problem but I wouldn't know where to start for that haha.
                2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID

Comment

• erad
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2015
                  • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by Rancent_Rat View Post
                  I might go and buy a couple of new door switches first and see if that fixes the problem. My remote control for the central locking hasn't been working also so they may be linked somehow? The key in the barrel works fine and the ignition barrel seems fine. I was wondering if it was the ECU but nothing else has happened and no lights are showing up on the dash.

I thought also perhaps the alternator may of had something to do with it but I checked voltages with car running and it was 14.1v and when car off 12.9v so I'm sure that's not the problem.

Only other thing it could be is a earthing problem but I wouldn't know where to start for that haha.

The interior lighting circuit is 12V all the way from the battery, through the fuses and ECU etc , through the lamp until it gets to the door switch, where it is finally earthed to complete the circuit. If you have a short after the lamp - anywhere, but most likely near a door switch, the light will stay on. If you have a short before the lamp, it will blow a fuse.

Your central locking will not operate if it thinks that a door is not closed properly. This is all part of the problem. You have to find the fault. Best of luck in chasing it... Start at the door switches themselves. Then remove the light fitting - it may be shorting out to the roof.

Comment

• Rancent_Rat
                    • Feb 2016
                    • Sunshine Coast

Originally posted by erad View Post
                    Your central locking will not operate if it thinks that a door is not closed properly. This is all part of the problem. You have to find the fault. Best of luck in chasing it... Start at the door switches themselves. Then remove the light fitting - it may be shorting out to the roof.
                    Thanks for that info. I guess I'll start with the door switches. It seems strange but that no door lights are showing on the dash! They show when the doors open but go out when closed. Central locking works but only with key in door or manually locking from inside.
                    2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID

Comment

• HomerJ
                      • Jul 2009
                      • Warrnambool, Vic

Before you go and but new switches, I had the same issue as this a while ago, the lights stayed on, light would come on going over bumps and the central locking not working properly.

Try pushing on the back door while you press the lock/unlock buttons a few times. If it works ok, I think all you need to do is adjust the loop (no idea what it's actually called) that goes into the catch so the door can close a bit tighter. Use lock tight or something similar on the screws afterwards, I've had to do it twice.
                      Last edited by HomerJ; 26-04-17, 09:39 PM. Reason: Mor information

Comment

• Rancent_Rat
                        • Feb 2016
                        • Sunshine Coast

Originally posted by HomerJ View Post
                        Try pushing on the back door while you press the lock/unlock buttons a few times. If it works ok, I think all you need to do is adjust the loop (no idea what it's actually called) that goes into the catch so the door can close a bit tighter. Use lock tight or something similar on the screws afterwards, I've had to do it twice.
                        I have adjusted the back door before because it was making a noise and I just checked it then again and it seems quite firm. Remote central locking still isn't working, however I disconnected the back door switch and that has now fixed the interior lights so I just ordered a new switch and it will be here tomorrow. If that doesn't fix it the only other thing is the wiring side has a loose connection in it which means I'll have to remove the back plastics and try and find where it is.
                        2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID

Comment

• Rancent_Rat
                          • Feb 2016
                          • Sunshine Coast

Just letting everyone know that the interior light problem has now been fixed.
                          It was the rear door switch that was faulty and causing the issue.
                          MM part number MI-8608A145 $25.55
                          Also I found the problem to my remote not working by removing the back cover of the remote and found that it was not making contact to the switch from the battery. It was the semi-circular metal prong needed to be adjusted so that it would contact when pressing the buttons.

Thanks for everyone's comments in rectifying this issue.
                          Cheers
                          2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID

Comment

• PaulandCass
                            • Jan 2017
                            • Saratoga

Originally posted by Rancent_Rat View Post
                            Just letting everyone know that the interior light problem has now been fixed.
                            It was the rear door switch that was faulty and causing the issue.
                            MM part number MI-8608A145 $25.55
                            Also I found the problem to my remote not working by removing the back cover of the remote and found that it was not making contact to the switch from the battery. It was the semi-circular metal prong needed to be adjusted so that it would contact when pressing the buttons.

Thanks for everyone's comments in rectifying this issue.
                            Cheers

So happy I found this post. Just bought an NP with a dodgy rear light, front interior that doesn't turn off on door and remote locking not working. Unplugged the rear door switch and BINGO, all working! Will order a new switch tonight! Thanks!

Comment

• Peoplesvic
                              • Feb 2017
                              • Brisbane

Don’t spend the money on the switch. I carefully took the old one apart, wiped the metal contacts inside then put it back together. It worked great after that. For me it was the drivers door. It’s really easy to get it apart, and you have nothing to loose.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X