Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Three wheel bearings defective in one year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anaemic
    • Jun 2018
    • Norway

Three wheel bearings defective in one year.

Hi. I have a 2004 paj with about 220'km on the dial. Bought it about a year ago and have since then changed left front wheel bearing three times. The last bearing was a FAG bearing.
    I am an educated mechanic and its a relative easy job to change the bearing. But now im starting to doubt. Is there anything I do wrong when mounting or tightening?
    I fasten the center hub nut to about 230nM (since my torque wrench stops at 220nm)
    Tires are bfGoodrich and generic rims. Even if the ET is off the bearings should not start to rumble in only 3-5months.
    Have anyone had the same fault?
    Any tips ans tricks are welcome!
    -Markus. Norway
    Last edited by Anaemic; 14-06-18, 06:19 AM. Reason: Forgot to write witch side.
  • craka
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Newcastle (Newie)

Hi and welcome,

I don't know specifically, but if you could supply more details others might be able to help. Does it have a suspension lift? What size wheels and tyres are you running? Is wheel alignment within spec?

Also I see on the South African forum someone had identical problem.
    Please help I ve been a happy Pajero owner since August 2009. It has been mostly trouble free motoring except for a recurring front left wheel hub bearing failure. Both front hubs were replaced by the garage that I bought the car from when on 201 000..
    NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Anaemic View Post
      Hi. I have a 2004 paj with about 220'km on the dial. Bought it about a year ago and have since then changed left front wheel bearing three times. The last bearing was a FAG bearing.
      I am an educated mechanic and its a relative easy job to change the bearing. But now im starting to doubt. Is there anything I do wrong when mounting or tightening?
      I fasten the center hub nut to about 230nM (since my torque wrench stops at 220nm)
      Tires are bfGoodrich and generic rims. Even if the ET is off the bearings should not start to rumble in only 3-5months.
      Have anyone had the same fault?
      Any tips ans tricks are welcome!
      -Markus. Norway

From South African site....thanks to..Craka

Update - for those that maybe get the same issue. The cast iron hub carrier was slightly oval. Hub assembly was to loose and looks like caused hotspots on few contact areas, causing bearing failure. Will try to post picture and update after another 20k km.

Was left front bearing again, so replaced 4x (two of which at the stealers) in 35000km. Can really recommend Marco's auto clinic to anyone with Pajero service needs in Windhoek, whom located the problem on the left, when ask to fit on the right. Right play was due to warn ball-joint

Henk_A Vehicle: Pajero 2.8tdiCountry: South Africa Posts: 53 Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:52 am
      Post Re: 3x left front wheel hub&bearing replacement in 30 000km

Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:12 pm
      The other day I was chatting to a guy with a Ford Bantam that was also replacing wheel bearings all the time.

Remembering this post I inquired a bit further, his problem was the CV joint shaft was slightly bent (possibly due to an accident by a previous owner). This caused the wheel bearing to blow out every few thousand kilos due to the strain it caused by not running straight.

Hope your troubles are over!
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Anaemic
        • Jun 2018
        • Norway

Originally posted by craka View Post
        Hi and welcome,

I don't know specifically, but if you could supply more details others might be able to help. Does it have a suspension lift? What size wheels and tyres are you running? Is wheel alignment within spec?

Also I see on the South African forum someone had identical problem.
        http://www.pajeroclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3884
        I will check the dimensions when i get home from work. No suspension lift, ordinary steel springs.
        I have not done a wheel alignment since it does not eat tires, maby i should do it to be on the safe side.

Comment

• fikse
          • Oct 2016
          • Norway

Could this be related to a violent removing of old bearing?
          I have probably the same problem, after 3-4.000KMs. Had a garage to replace it (I had bought bearing at Milners in UK), and I was specific they should use heat to remove old bearing (an Mitsu mecaning told me they "must" use heat), but even if the garage promised me to use heat before pressing out old, they did not have induction at all, and their butane heater (not even oxytylene they had!) was empty. The miserable mecanic (who managed to destroy the caliper as well) used a 6KG sledgehammer for more than 1,5 hour before the old was out.
          I'm afraid the garage has managed to destroy more, as CV-joint, etc. :-/
          Duct tape is like the force - it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.
          My introduction.

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by fikse View Post
            I have probably the same problem, after 3-4.000KMs. Had a garage to replace it (I had bought bearing at Milners in UK), and I was specific they should use heat to remove old bearing (an Mitsu mecaning told me they "must" use heat), but even if the garage promised me to use heat before pressing out old, they did not have induction at all, and their butane heater (not even oxytylene they had!) was empty. The miserable mecanic (who managed to destroy the caliper as well) used a 6KG sledgehammer for more than 1,5 hour before the old was out.
            I'm afraid the garage has managed to destroy more, as CV-joint, etc. :-/

Liked the introduction. It appears from reading your mishaps with the Pajero that laws allow you to claim from the private seller, issues you have with the car. Is this correct?

Love the bike too. Resembles a v-max
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• GHendo
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2012
              • Northern NSW

Originally posted by fikse View Post
              I was wondering this myself. I had an engineering works remove mine out with a hydraulic press but I get a bit worried sometimes when I read the ways some members of the forum get their bearings out. I've often wondered if it does damage to the hub.

Geoff
              03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• fikse
                • Oct 2016
                • Norway

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                Liked the introduction. It appears from reading your mishaps with the Pajero that laws allow you to claim from the private seller, issues you have with the car. Is this correct?

Love the bike too. Resembles a v-max
                Thank you sir [emoji106]
                Yes, the sale is kind of regulated by law. Seller knew there was some trouble with the filler neck, and did not tell about it. It could have got a ugly case, but seller proved to be a man of Word at the end. After this Ive done some service on the car (flushed all fluids etc), and is soon ready for a caravan holiday. The Pajero is performing grate, never looked back to the station wagons we used to have [emoji106]

'06 LWB 3.2 Dakar Edition
                Duct tape is like the force - it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.
                My introduction.

Comment

• fikse
                  • Oct 2016
                  • Norway

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
                  I was wondering this myself. I had an engineering works remove mine out with a hydraulic press but I get a bit worried sometimes when I read the ways some members of the forum get their bearings out. I've often wondered if it does damage to the hub.

Geoff
                  Its still only mild steel, so excessive force...

'06 LWB 3.2 Dakar Edition
                  My introduction.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X