Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Tyre dust inside tyre when a puncture was repaired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
    Temperature problems are a secondary benefit, which I firmly believe require external sensors.
    I think you mean internal sensors have the ability to monitor temperature much better than external sensors.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
      I think you mean internal sensors have the ability to monitor temperature much better than external sensors.

OJ.
      Just testing, to see if anybody is paying attention.

You are correct - original post corrected.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

I had a valve mounted TMPS indicate a temperature rise when the wheel bearing on my caravan decided to sh1t itself. From memory, the temperature rise was not that great - only 20 or 2 degrees, but when I touched the wheel studs to check the hubs (my caravan has silly little hubcaps preventing direct access to the wheel bearings), I burnt my fingers badly - the wheel nuts were that hot. Luckily, I was en route to home, and about 5 km from Canberra, so I detoured into the Industrial area and found a servo just before 5:00 pm on a Friday of a long weekend. They fitted spare bearings that I had for $40 and I was back on my way home. How's that for luck (finding the bearings failing before that actually did let go AND finding someone to fix it for me at that time on a long weekend! They couldn't get the outer cup out but said it was OK to get home (which it was) and the next day I replaced bearings on both wheels. Getting the bearing cup out though was really hard (they couldn't do it in Canberra) and I finished up shattering it with a drift before it finally let go. This bearing was less than 1 year old and had only done about 12000 km, but to be sure, I replaced both sets of bearings.

In retrospect, I think the TMPS (even the valve mounted system) did alert me to the problem because there were no other signs of failure. Incidentally, I carry a spare set of bearings with me, already packed with grease so that, in theory, I can bop out a failed bearing roadside and tap in a new set and get going again with relatively little fuss.

Comment

• alanymarce
          • Apr 2015
          • Colombia

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
          It would be interesting to inspect the inside of all the other tyres to see if they have a similar problem with excessive rubber dust.

What tyre brand and size are you running and on what size rims, factory or aftermarket?

OJ.

Fair point - when I had the puncture repaired I didn't want to spend any more time at the shop than necessary, however it would be good idea. I had a valve failure on a different tyre a month ago and they removed the tyre and checked it when replacing the valve - no dust! Perhaps I'll have the other two taken off and checked.

Tyres are Toyo Open Country AT, 265/65-17, standard rims (Mitsubishi OEM).

Comment

• alanymarce
            • Apr 2015
            • Colombia

Originally posted by Having Fun View Post
            On trips I carry a quality tyre plugging kit, if I get a fixable puncture, I plug the tyre myself.

If you check the tyre pressure with your own gear after it's been repaired, you'll pick up loose valves etc

We always carry a manometer, a plugging kit and a compressor, we check the pressures weekly (or after "airing up"). After a repair we also check pressure. We fix our own punctures (not that we have had many) when possible, when we're on the road. Having said that, if we get one and we're near a tyre repair shop, we're lazy enough to have them do it.

Comment

• alanymarce
              • Apr 2015
              • Colombia

We've considered TPMS and will no doubt install this soon. We do check tyre pressures weekly (prior to driving away) or after "airing up". We do a visual check every time we start the vehicle, and on driver changes (every two hours, or every hour on tough tracks). We used to check pressures with the manometer every time we started the vehicle, however have reduced the frequency to weekly - perhaps we should go back to every time...

Our puncture experience, in the last 4 decades:

1) Ecuador - nail in the tread - picked up on daily inspection - pressure not far below normal - tyre repairable

2) Bolivia - sharp rocks - picked up on driver change inspection - pressure not far below normal - tyre repairable

3) Bolivia - sharp rocks - tyre blew up - TPMS would have gone from normal pressure to zero in a microsecond (it was 13 Km after the previous puncture) - tyre NOT repairable

4) Argentina - picked up with vehicle behaviour - pressure not far below normal - tyre repairable

5) Brazil - nail in the tread - picked up on daily inspection - pressure not far below normal- tyre repairable

6) Tom Price - sharp rocks - tyre blew up - TPMS would have gone from normal pressure to zero in a microsecond - tyre NOT repairable

7) Bogotá - valve not holding pressure - picked up on routine pressure check - pressure not far below normal - replaced valve - no tyre problem.

8) Bogotá - nail in the tread as discussed in this thread - picked up the loss of pressure with a visual check before leaving home, verified it with the manometer, and had lost 4 psig - repaired tyre.

TPMS would have picked up 6 of the 8 cases, however we picked up 5 of them on routine checks before lossing more than a few psig, and in 4 cases had not driven the vehicle at all before noting the pressure loss. Still, it will be worth the investment I think.

Comment

• Having Fun
                • Jun 2015
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                You could stop & check your tyres regularly, or install a TPMS.

A good TPMS, correctly installed & configured, will alert you to tyre deflation and /or high temperatures more reliably than stopping & checking. Since I installed a TPMS in Shorty (then moved to my NT) I've had two punctures - on both occasions the TPMS alerted me long before I would've noticed through the seat of my pants, and neither tyre was destroyed due to running flat. (Both tyres were irreparable, but that was the nature of the puncture - neither tyre was shredded, and neither rim was destroyed.)

Neither of my TPMS systems cost more than a tyre. Neither system has saved me the price of a tyre, but neither lost tyre can be blamed on the TPMS.

The invaluable bit? I check my tyre pressures (and temperatures) many times every time I drive, without stopping. Who does that without a TPMS.

My ??? wasn't about TPMS, it was me wondering why my post was quoted. Erad had the issues, not me.

Comment

• Having Fun
                  • Jun 2015
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by alanymarce View Post
                  We always carry a manometer, a plugging kit and a compressor, we check the pressures weekly (or after "airing up"). After a repair we also check pressure. We fix our own punctures (not that we have had many) when possible, when we're on the road. Having said that, if we get one and we're near a tyre repair shop, we're lazy enough to have them do it.

Sounds pretty much like I do My response was to erad.

Comment

• erad
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by Having Fun View Post
                    Sounds pretty much like I do My response was to erad.
                    Having Fun: I did have a puncture repair plug kit, but I chose to get a patch put on the inside of the tyre because it is a more permanent fix. They charged me $40 for the privilege of "fixing" my tyre. As he was grinding the rubber out from the inside, I thought that it seemed excessive, but I assumed that he was a professional and knew what he was doing. When it went down again, I thought "Oh bad luck", but the third time, I was not happy". To add to the insult, he told me that the tyre was buggered beyond repair, yet there were NO little beads inside the tyre except for what he ground out. I had caught the initial puncture even before it was half flat - I could hear the air hissing out as I was refuelling. Such is life.... By the time I pumped the tyre up again the third time, it had gone rather dark and we had to go back from Arkaroola to Copley, finishing over half of the trip in the dark, with large grasshoppers bounding around us. I don't normally down people, but in this case, well let us say that if/when i ever get back to Copley (it is a nice place and handy to some really interesting places), I doubt that I will buy anything from the servo there. The guy has probably moved on since then anyway, but I/m not finding out. This all happened in about 2004 I think.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X