• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shacks
    • Jun 2015
    • Newcastle

Fuel observation.

On a recent trip from Newcastle to Melbourne and return I made a somewhat interesting observation in relation to different companies fuel. On the way south I used Shell diesel. I noticed the average fuel useage on the display was always around the 10.9 l/100km. On the return trip I used Caltex truck diesel and BP diesel. Average fuel useage was showing as between 8.9 and 9.2 l/100km. Conditions both ways were much the same, as was the driving style.
    Makes me wonder what is in Shell diesel to make my PB use more. I had noticed it was doing much the same around town, but put it doen to the conditions.
    Anyone else gad a simular observation ?
  • 4greg
    • May 2015
    • Sippy Downs

Yep I reckon when i use Caltex Vortex I use a couple of litres more than when I fill up with BP Truck Diesel, motor also seems smoother/quieter as well on truck diesel, cheers Greg

Comment

• coughy
      Valued Member
      • May 2014
      • Redlands Brisbane QLD

bp has the highest level of createn i think it is called
      makes my pb run alot quieter and more power and seems better on the fuel usage

edit it is this from wiki

The principal measure of diesel fuel quality is its cetane number. A cetane number is a measure of the delay of ignition of a diesel fuel.[22] A higher cetane number indicates that the fuel ignites more readily when sprayed into hot compressed air.[22] European (EN 590 standard) road diesel has a minimum cetane number of 51. Fuels with higher cetane numbers, normally "premium" diesel fuels with additional cleaning agents and some synthetic content, are available in some markets.

bp levels are 51 I believe I can't find it at moment but have a read of this good article

edit here it is

BP Ultimate Diesel is suitable for use in all diesel vehicles and in independent tests* demonstrated benefits over ordinary diesel with ongoing use. Importantly, the new fuel is guaranteed to deliver above the minimum Australian standard cetane rating. Cetane is to diesel what octane is to unleaded fuel. The minimum Australian cetane rating standard is 46. BP Ultimate Diesel has a guaranteed minimum cetane rating of 50.
      Last edited by coughy; 07-10-15, 09:21 PM.
      My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.
      New Custom Ultimate diesel tuning REMAP,custom rail limiter.

Comment

• itsamitsi
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2015
        • Hervey Bay Queensland

Correct, Cetane in BP is about 52 which is higher than others. Vortex premium is not far behind. I also try to use BP only as you get more out of a tank compared to anything else.
        Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• littleriver
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2013
          • Queensland

minimum of 50 cetane ...

have been told buy the techs at BP they try to run at 52 cetane

we try to run BP ulimate diesel in our vehicle when ever possible ...
          - it's slowly becoming more available around the country
          Last edited by littleriver; 08-10-15, 12:09 AM.
          2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• whitedg
            • Dec 2011
            • Rydalmere

Yeah, I've found that BP is the better choice between all the big brands - always seem to get more from the tank when running it.

Cheers
            whitedg
            MY12 PB LS Manual (Ironbark), HR towbar, Cooper AT3 Tyres, GME UHF, MM Alloy Nudgebar, Rhino-rack roof racks & basket, EGR resistor mod, DP-Chip, Diff Breathers.

Comment

• Shacks
              • Jun 2015
              • Newcastle

Normally I use Mobil diesel from the 7 11 on the Mobil / independant on the way to work. Their fuel seams to give me good returns.

Comment

• whynot
                • Jan 2013
                • Brisbane

Originally posted by Shacks View Post
                Normally I use Mobil diesel from the 7 11 on the Mobil / independant on the way to work. Their fuel seams to give me good returns.
                So did i until i got a bad tank full. Started running with BP and realised what the difference it.
                Never went back to 711

Worth running a couple of tanks for a trial.
                Prado 150 petrol.
                Now gone but still have great memories of adventures - 2010 PB auto Challenger, Factory tow bar, King springs, Oztec shocks, Firestone airbags, TJM steel bar, snorkel, bash plates. Redarc brake controller, custon draws, second batery in back. Anderson plug, redarc isolator, manual circuit breaker. Towing jayco eagle outback 2005.
                Turbo replaced under warranty at 159200 klm. Engine dead at 190000 klm.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X