• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kingbrown
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2012
    • Port Augusta - SA

Has anyone identified where the suspect welds are located on the LCA ?

There's a long welded seam that runs around the perimeter of the upper and lower plates that make up the LCA There are also welds encircling the main pivot points, at the lower strut mount and the bracket for attaching the stabiliser bar.

They look OK to my untrained eye, but who am I to know ??
    2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• aaron.miller
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2011
      • Epping, NSW

I was told by the general manager of Alto pennant hills that they were measuring the amount of deflection of the lca. They had to undo several bolts and then the arm hang down and the measured how much it had bent i guess?
      This is why it wasn't a quick visual inspection.
      I'm not sure how measuring how much it has bent tells them if the weld is suss or not?

Aaron
      2012 PB 30th Anniversary Challenger, Arb 2.5m awning, Maxtrax, ORS Platform and MSA dropdown slide, Boo's Bashplates, MSA seat organisers with trays, GME 3120s uhf, GME 4705 UHF, Lovells Springs, Arb Deluxe Bullbar, Mitsubishi tow bar, 265/65 17 D697's At's, triple ram mount with ipad and lots more to come.

Comment

• stuartiross
        • Nov 2011
        • ACT

Originally posted by Chris4x4 View Post
        Had my check only 1 LCA requires replacing, only real issue I've had. Actually believe it or not I want an SRS light to come up as am 18 months into 5 year warranty and want it on record. Will be very pissed if it comes on in 5 years and 1 month and Mitsu don't come to my party!!
        Had mine in today for the $45k service and check the LCA. Back in a couple days to fit the new ones, they are on order. They need it for half a day to fit them. Better safe than sorry ...
        Stu Ross
        PB LS 2012, silver, manual, ARB deluxe bullbar, HR Towbar, Anderson plug, Neoprene seat covers, Uniden 7740, Lightforce 170's, Bushskinz complete set, Airtek snorkel, RedArc Brake Controller, Recovery Points, X20 Smittybilt winch, OME suspension

Blog : http://rossmob.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

• Kingbrown
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2012
          • Port Augusta - SA

I'd be expecting more than replacement LCA's ! A whole new car would be on order for a $45k service
          2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Original post removed as it was based on incorrect information.

cheers, old Jack.
            Last edited by old Jack; 11-12-13, 08:23 PM. Reason: incorrect info
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• perrys
              • Jan 2012
              • Wollongong

Had mine inspected yesterday and apparently they were OK. Service guy said they were getting about 10% needing to be replaced.
              Challenger LS Manual 2011 MY12 - with some bits and pieces

Comment

• 260DET
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2012
                • Brisbane

Mine is in with Eagers, Newstead, to get the suspension checked. I requested a wheel alignment as part of the recall deal. Getting the (rear) diff whine fixed too so in the meantime I have a late model Lancer as a loan car. Don't like FWD after driving the truck, can't fault Eagers service though, after they fixed the black smoke problem she is going like a train.
                Richard.......MY12 silver base model auto rear driver tow truck and shopping trolley. Bilsteins, Firestone rear air bags, HR towbar, Scangauge II and aftermarket reverse camera/GPS navigation unit. SOLD

Comment

• Midge
                  • Sep 2011
                  • Perth

Had mine booked in for the LCA recall today. When I arrived they had a list of three jobs including a prop shaft recall and an underboost ECU re-write.

Didn't need any work doing on the recalls, just the inspection.
                  2012 Challenger LS Auto 7 seat

Comment

• greig
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2010
                    • kanwal

Mines a 2010 model, does anyone know what period the prop shaft inspection covered ?

Comment

• unknown
                      • Feb 2010

see post #10 in this thread : http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...3&postcount=10

12MY 4WD Triton VIN Range:
                      MMAENKB40BCD004656 ~ MMAJYKB40CD005060

12MY 4WD Challenger VIN range:
                      MMAGNKH40CF000658 ~ MMAGYKH40CF001048

Comment

• fester
                        Valued Member
                        • Feb 2013
                        • Gympie Qld

Man car maker annoy me these days.

Wife dropped the car in yesterday to have the LCA recall checked out. Supposed to be about an hour so she left it for 2 and said get it back to me by 3.00. At 3.00 she chased them up, yep coming shortly. About 3.50 it turned up.

We didn't seem to be getting anything on the prop shaft recall so I thought we must not be in the range and forgot about. Was thinking a few weeks ago when it was first mentioned I should ask them about it at same time but like I said forgot about it. Got todays mail and sure enough there's our recall notice for the prop shaft. Rang the dealer to ask if by chance they were smart enough to have done both at same time but no. We usually check that sort of thing the afternoon before the car comes in but that recall is just out. When I said I've known about it for weeks there was no answer, so now we go through the hassle all over again.

I suppose at least we passed the LCA inspection.

Comment

• camb
                          • Sep 2010
                          • melbourne

got my prop shaft recall the day before my 30k service.. rang them to let them know and it had already flagged on their computer....have to admit, knox mitsu are on the ball.....although they told me mine was the first prop shaft they had to inspect..
                          2011 pb ls bfg a/t. arb bashplates...many more mods to come when $$$$allow. 2010 pb ls 7 seat, no mods.

Comment

• smally
                            • Oct 2013
                            • Loveday SA

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                            Visited my Dealer Service Department today to get the facts on this recall.
                            Problem is incorrect location and welding of lower shocker/strut and stabiliser bar attach brackets on to the lower control arm. Apparently these are position and welded robotically and in some cases the location & tack weld was incorrect and therefore when the full weld was done it is welded in the wrong place and possibly with only a partial weld, robotic welders only do what is programmed and have no eyes!

The LCA must have the lower shocker, stabiliser bar and steering disconnected so the LCA can be swung down for inspection. Mitsubishi have supplied a special gauge for checking the position of brackets and if they are incorrect then a visual inspection of the weld is carried out.

There have been no reported failures whilst driving and my dealer has yet to find insufficient welds but many LCA's that have failed the position check. Replacement parts are almost depleted and many are on backorder and not expected until well into Q1 2014.

Sorry, I forgot all about the front prop shaft recall as my Challenger is not in the effected range and not on my letter.

cheers, old Jack.

Not sure who told you this but it isn't right. The welds in question are for the inner pivot mounts. The cross member under the rear pivots has to be removed to inspect the welds.

Comment

• old Jack
                              Regular
                              • Jun 2011
                              • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by smally View Post
                              Not sure who told you this but it isn't right. The welds in question are for the inner pivot mounts. The cross member under the rear pivots has to be removed to inspect the welds.
                              Thanks Smally, it was my dealer service department who gave me a verbal description of what the recall was about and they are normally pretty reliable.
                              I will ring tomorrow and ask if they can email the paper work from Mitsubishi.
                              I do not like being given wrong info and then sharing mis-information.

cheers, old Jack.
                              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• smally
                                • Oct 2013
                                • Loveday SA

Last edited by smally; 14-02-15, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X