• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peebee
    • Jan 2011
    • South Fremantle

Windscreen wipers

It's time for new windscreen wipers and I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on decent brands, what's good and what to avoid.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

I change my wiper blades every year just before winter, up until last year I used Tridon Metal Rail refills and had been happy with them. Last year I couldn't get the metal rail design and fitted the all plastic Tridon refills and was not happy with them so I have gone back to the metal rail refill.

Part Number for a twin pack is MCP2428-2 about $25 from Repco full price, less if you get Motor Association or Trade discount or when on sale.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• wanderay
      • Feb 2012
      • Richmond NSW

Originally posted by Peebee View Post
      It's time for new windscreen wipers and I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on decent brands, what's good and what to avoid.
      I'm trying silicon wiper blades from supercheet, SCA brand, been on over a year and still working well, also fit 6 and 8 mm arms so one set does both sides on the NT.
      NT Pajero (white), Smartbar, Warn winch, LightForce Lights, Safari snorkel, Provent 200, Lovells MD with Aussie Ryder shocks, Optima main and Renogy lithium aux battery and 300w solar on roof with Victron 100/20 reg, Tvan Sport campertrailer.

Comment

• Lakey
        • Apr 2012
        • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
        I change my wiper blades every year just before winter, up until last year I used Tridon Metal Rail refills and had been happy with them. Last year I couldn't get the metal rail design and fitted the all plastic Tridon refills and was not happy with them so I have gone back to the metal rail refill.

Part Number for a twin pack is MCP2428-2 about $25 from Repco full price, less if you get Motor Association or Trade discount or when on sale.

OJ.
        I finally replaced the original blades with Tridon metal backed ones about 18 mths ago. Last service about a month ago I'm told I need new blades but I declined telling the guy that rang that I hadn't long replaced them. Now they sound bloody horrible and look all collapsed. The dealer had only quoted about $18 so seems I should have done them.

Would have expected them to last longer if not quite the years of the original. I would have thought your yearly replacement excessive OJ but I guess not, though have never before in my life had to do them even close to that regularly.
        Cheers
        Lakey

2012 PB Challenger LS manual. White, tinted windows, MM towbar, Rhino Aero Sportz Bars, otherwise pretty much bog standard.

Comment

• spot01
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Adelaide

I only paid $10 at the dealer's for the genuine spare part rear wiper blade (rubber only) in a proper spare parts bag with MMAL label.

It fitted perfectly & even had the small locating indents to keep it in place. No cutting or messing around required. It was easy to fit once I worked out how - wriggle the blade back & forth in the retainer to free it up, then gently prise the retained rubber end slightly away from the metal using a small screwdriver shank in behind it to allow it to clear the metal end & carefully slide out (bit of wriggling required). Note which way around the rubber & spring metal bits are as you remove them so the new one can be assembled the same way - there is a small taper in the rubber at one end to aid removal. Reverse the process to install the new blade. 5 minute job once you know how!

I imagine the fronts would be similar, but haven't checked.
          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• itsamitsi
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2015
            • Hervey Bay Queensland

I replaced my OEMs last year so they did 4 years OK. This winter the Tridon ones I have shudder badly across the window, I will try giving the glass a thinners wash then glass cleaner and metho first and if that doesn't work I'll have to replace them.
            Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• pharb
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Tyers,Vic

The best wipers I have ever used were on the VE Commodore. Always a perfect wipe, never any shudder, or hazing, perfect wipe all the time.

Had to get some new wipers for the NX about 18 months ago, and I must of had some $$ burning a hole in my pocket. Bought some Wipertech or something. Was bombarded by Facebook advertising, and saw some good reviews on forums, possibly even on here somewhere.

Weren't cheap, but just as good a wiper, if not better, as the VE Commodore. And still wipe as good as they were when I first got them.
              PCOV Member 1107.
              Daily driver NX GLX
              Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
              Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
              Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Peebee
                • Jan 2011
                • South Fremantle

Thanks everyone for responses. It turns out I had already bought some about a year ago (it's called old age, others would be less kind!). I thought I should check that I hadn't bought them for my wife's Hyundai so went on line to Tricor and was told the part number was wrong. So I checked old against new and they seemed to be the right ones so fitted them. They work great and wipe very smoothly. They have the metal side bars which snap off and are easy to fit. With the rain we've been getting recently, it's not before time.

Comment

• Giddyup
                  • Oct 2013
                  • Melbourne

So what's the go for the rear wiper? 180 000km and 6 years mine just fell apart. Was fine until then. I think you just have to replace the whole blade, not just the insert isn't it?
                  MY14 Titanium manual. Stock.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2016
                    • Greater Sydney

Insert is fine.

Autobarn, Supercheap or my mechanic.

Comment

• Peebee
                      • Jan 2011
                      • South Fremantle

What do you ask for, being much smaller?

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2016
                        • Greater Sydney

Just put a set of Bosh on the front. Will see how they go.

Supercheap have 30% off.

Comment

• shawty950
                          • Jun 2011
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by itsamitsi View Post
                          I replaced my OEMs last year so they did 4 years OK. This winter the Tridon ones I have shudder badly across the window, I will try giving the glass a thinners wash then glass cleaner and metho first and if that doesn't work I'll have to replace them.
                          Can't remember where I read this, but if you get shudder from the blades wipe them with a wd40 soaked paper towel and it fixes the shuddering. Can confirm that it works and doesn't cause any oily residue when it rains.
                          Might be worth a try.
                          SOLD at 150k's - 2011 NT Platinum Diesel auto. Wheels and tyres, cav filter, caddy storage/ausguard barrier and icom IC-440N. NoLimit Tuning Chip. T13 Bullbar. Other stuff when money allows.

NOW - 2016 MQ Triton Exceed - All the TJM fruit re barwork, MCA Gold shocks and Parabolic rear leafs, TJM canopy, twin diff locks OEM rear and Harrop front, breathers, rhinorack, eco foxwing

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X