• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

According to Partsouq.com they are M6, 50mm length but not sure of thread pitch. Mitsy part number MF140417.

Only tighten to 13nm.
    Attached Files
    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• aussieintas
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2013
      • Sorell, Tasmania

Supercheapauto have m6 50mm high tensile bolts that may do as a temp measure bud.
      2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
      88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
      92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
      92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
      99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
      95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
      08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by P humphreys View Post
        Excellent thanks. Straight drilling is the challenge. It’s in a good position so i will take a look
        post deleted

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
          Valued Member
          • May 2017
          • Sydney

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
          I did watch a video where a guy was using left handed drill bits to remove broken bolts that weren't tight, once it grabbed it just undid the bolt seeing the drill is running in reverse. Not sure I've seen left hand drill bits for sale anywhere though

I looked at these around the time I snapped the easy out. Probably to see what I could do differently next time. They aren’t cheap but you can buy them online posted from the States.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• disco stu
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2018
            • Wollongong

Good to know, cheers.

Your story reminded me of snapping off drill bit trying to drill out 3 snapped bolts for not water system element. I think I ended up centre punch and hammering to break it into pieces in the hole which worked eventually.

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

This set of screw extractors comes with left hand cutting short jobber drills that are the correct size for the corresponding screw extractor. These is what I have my Technicians using now days as it takes the guesswork (knowledge) out of which are the correct drills to use.
              Tool Kit Depot is the all-under-one-roof power tool, equipment, safety, and workwear destination for trade professionals. We sell the biggest range of quality trade tools and products – designed to work as hard as you do.

You can just by a small left hand cutting drill set
              Tool Kit Depot is the all-under-one-roof power tool, equipment, safety, and workwear destination for trade professionals. We sell the biggest range of quality trade tools and products – designed to work as hard as you do.

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• disco stu
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2018
                • Wollongong

I recall working on aircraft getting lots of practice using easy outs, near on constantly. That was only work experience for a few weeks, but they got me doing some pretty involved jobs

Comment

• P humphreys
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Sydney

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
                  I did watch a video where a guy was using left handed drill bits to remove broken bolts that weren't tight, once it grabbed it just undid the bolt seeing the drill is running in reverse. Not sure I've seen left hand drill bits for sale anywhere though
                  I like that solution.

I ended up breaking another one when loosening the unbroken 3 to install the replacement. I have been very lucky that both broke at the surface so I could get the corner of a chisel onto the shaft to bring it out just enough to get plyers onto them.

The 2 remaining had stretched. I have never seen this before but about a cm of the shaft where the other broke was about 2mm thinner. I will post a photo.

cheers Paul

Comment

• P humphreys
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Sydney

Thanks

Thank you everyone I ended up breaking 2 (second one trying to undo) and was extremely lucky it was near the surface. So I could get the corner of a chisel onto it to spin enough to use plyers.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

Paul
                    Last edited by P humphreys; 09-08-20, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• P humphreys
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Sydney

Stretched bolt

Hi I had never seen a stretched bolt before - this is one of the bolts that did not break - very close though......
                      Attached Files

Comment

• disco stu
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2018
                        • Wollongong

Bloody hell!! Someone was obviously petty ham fisted on that car, they're only going into aluminum. Maybe the same guy worked on that car that did mine before I owned it

Comment

• Aspey
                          • Dec 2015
                          • Great Southern Land

Originally posted by P humphreys View Post
                          Thanks Mate I will take a photo And post. It was easy in and sadly my torque wrench is faulty but the knuckle using just kept going.
                          I brought a torque wrench mainly for the wheel nuts but on low settings it didn't click. Snapped the alternator bolt. I don't trust torque wrenches anymore.
                          NP VRX DID

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X