• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kinnean01
    • Jan 2019
    • perth

Engine oil purge/flush

Just had the 30,000 service done for the second time (long story) and when in the shop (MM) the service guy suggested that I should have these additives flushed though the engine to help fully change out the oil. Cost was going to be $66 from memory.

His exact comments "it really should be done standard every 15,000km".

My question: Is this a bit of a ploy to draw some extra $ out of my pocket or is it necessary? And if it really should be done as he says why is it not part of the scheduled servicing...?
  • Ozzz
    • May 2019
    • Brisbane

Originally posted by kinnean01 View Post
    Just had the 30,000 service done for the second time (long story) and when in the shop (MM) the service guy suggested that I should have these additives flushed though the engine to help fully change out the oil. Cost was going to be $66 from memory.

His exact comments "it really should be done standard every 15,000km".

My question: Is this a bit of a ploy to draw some extra $ out of my pocket or is it necessary? And if it really should be done as he says why is it not part of the scheduled servicing...?
    they are many things should be done, like no fast food. but would I get killed by eating a KFC
    My20 Nx Gls Graphite | Tow Bar| Plates Sum,Trans&Rear| Munji Egr| Provent Catch Can| Automate Pro| Rock Slider| Paddle Shift| 265 70 r17 Goodyear Silenttrac| Koni 90&88 plus Kings| Tuningkit Race​​​​​

Comment

• craka
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009
      • Newcastle (Newie)

No I wouldn't think so. Normally it's just drop old oil, change oil filter and than put new oil in.

I believe only reason to flush if there was something along the line of incompatible engine oils.
      NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• spot01
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Adelaide

My response to such suggestions is "show me where MMAL specify it in the service schedule" (which they don't). In fact, the handbook says not to use additives, etc.

Pure profit motivated "up selling" IMO.
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Pushbike
          • Jun 2017
          • Sydney

It's called "Value Adding". Standard business practice.

e.g. wiper blade replacement, half worn brake pads replacement, wheel alignment and/or balance & rotation.
          My response is "is the vehicle roadworthy?"
          Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
          Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2016
            • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
            My response to such suggestions is "show me where MMAL specify it in the service schedule" (which they don't). In fact, the handbook says not to use additives, etc. Pure profit motivated "up selling" IMO.

Funny thing is Spot MM sell additives.

Yes they say......The Mitsubishi Genuine FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER is designed to be the best fit for Mitsubishi vehicles.

As we know it will be an off the shelf item made by whoever and branded MM

Comment

• Yeorgos
              • Feb 2020
              • Adelaide

Many private workshops also either recommend an engine oil flush be used or include it in the engine oil change , the reason is that most engines operate outside normal conditions where they don't often reach correct operating temp and or skip oil change intervals where they can begin to sludge up and restrict and block the oil pick up causing oil starvation and eventually engine failure as it happened on my daughters pre used Rav4

The engine flush breaks down the sludge before it can build up keeping the engine internals clean recommended in severe operating conditions as a precaution , there is no harm in using it but you have to determine if you really need to use it

But on an engine that does regularly reach operating temp , gets serviced on time with a premium quality engine oil and diesel oils are high detergent for cleaning , does not require an engine oil flush additive
              Last edited by Yeorgos; 08-07-20, 07:34 PM.
              George
              2016 NX GLS Pajero
              2010 JT Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Comment

• jkwpajero
                • Jun 2008
                • Young, NSW

I have been using Cost Effective Maintenance Flushing Oil Concentrate for a number of years now in a couple of diesels. I started using it in my Pajero with 40,000 ks on the clock. I put 15mls in and drive it for 30mins on the way to get it serviced. The oil stays remarkably clean between changes, every 10,000ks. It cost me $6.55 per oil change. Any way have a look and make up your own mind as to whether it is value for money.

Designed to restore cleanliness to the dirtiest petrol or diesel engines. Flushing Oil Concentrate has saved many thousands of engines from expensive rebuilds. Removes engine sludge & hard carbon Frees stuck piston rings Reduces smoke, blowby & oil use Restores compression Prevents diesel oil going black straight after a change Suitable for all engines, transmissions & diffs

James
                2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• Allan2
                  • May 2013
                  • Mid Nort Coast, NSW

I found once EGR was modified my engine oil remained cleaner for a lot longer. Oil is supposed to trap byproducts of combustion and keep them in suspension that is why the oil becomes dark. The way the engine was before it was modified you have to wonder how much the engine life could have been shortened with all that crap circulating.
                  Allan.
                  2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Comment

• Yeorgos
                    • Feb 2020
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Allan2 View Post
                    I found once EGR was modified my engine oil remained cleaner for a lot longer. Oil is supposed to trap byproducts of combustion and keep them in suspension that is why the oil becomes dark. The way the engine was before it was modified you have to wonder how much the engine life could have been shortened with all that crap circulating.
                    Allan.
                    Good point Allan , but most if not all of the old type Japanese diesels that were produced by Toyota , Nissan , Mitsubishi etc that now don't meet current emission regulations were extremely quick in their combustion to blacken the high detergent Japanese spec engine oil during their maximum 5000km oil change intervals and most of these engines exceeded 500,000km trouble free and are still getting around now
                    George
                    2016 NX GLS Pajero
                    2010 JT Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Comment

• pharb
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2007
                      • Tyers,Vic

Originally posted by Yeorgos View Post
                      Good point Allan , but most if not all of the old type Japanese diesels that were produced by Toyota , Nissan , Mitsubishi etc that now don't meet current emission regulations were extremely quick in their combustion to blacken the high detergent Japanese spec engine oil during their maximum 5000km oil change intervals and most of these engines exceeded 500,000km trouble free and are still getting around now
                      Indirect injected engines like the old 2.8L 4M40 and Toyota 1HZ required 5,000km service intervals due to the inefficient combustion process of indirect injection.
                      PCOV Member 1107.
                      Daily driver NX GLX
                      Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                      Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                      Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X