Below Nav Bar

Collapse

screaming /squeeling from what I thought were alternator or a/c belts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • craka
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Newcastle (Newie)

screaming /squeeling from what I thought were alternator or a/c belts.

So I replaced the 2 alternator and 1 a/c belts as I had a squeal that was occuring usually when cold and under load ie accelerating and secondly I have 200000kms on the pajero and unsure if the alternator belts had ever been changed.

Well what a PIA they are to get to, removed the air intake out of the way, removed the top fan cover, removed the fan,

Took both the old a/c belt and the old alternator belts off. Checked the A/C idler seemed ok.
    Fitted the new alternator belts and A/C belts, tensioned them and locked them off. Put fan, air intake etc back on.

Under idle no noise, but under throttle, screams like a banshee. So thought must be the A/C idler so to confirm, I took the A/C belt off and put the air intake back on and started car but still screaming.

So I'm guessing it is coming from the alternator or the water pump pulley ? How should I go about checking.

Really was hoping the belts would solve the problem as meant to be driving down to Jindabyne on Friday.

Second question is I broke one of the clips that holds the top fan cover. Is it okay to leave the over off, does it serve any purpose other than stopping your fingers going there?
    NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.
  • 4ePikanini
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2009
    • South Africa, East London

Leaking exhaust manifold gasket can squeel like that. The escaping gasses whistles past the gasket.

Look for signs of soot around the exhaust manifold where it seals to the cylinder head.
    1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
    2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
    2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
    2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• craka
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009
      • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by 4ePikanini View Post
      Leaking exhaust manifold gasket can squeel like that. The escaping gasses whistles past the gasket.

Look for signs of soot around the exhaust manifold where it seals to the cylinder head.

I'll have a look at that when it's light, but I think it's in amongst the belt assembly.

Comment

• craka
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2009
        • Newcastle (Newie)

I just was thinking, should the fan be running as soon as pajero is started ie when engine is cold?

I'm wondering if the fan clutch is buggered?

Comment

• Chunk
          • Jun 2015
          • S.A

Hey mate, my NS paj DiD started making a louder squealing noise over time so i replaced all 3 belts and the pulley and so far squeal gone from front end,I replaced all with dayco brand the pulley seemed fine but i got a new one anyway, no squealing as yet but for $35ish off ebay worth a shot maybe?

Comment

• craka
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2009
            • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by Chunk View Post
            Hey mate, my NS paj DiD started making a louder squealing noise over time so i replaced all 3 belts and the pulley and so far squeal gone from front end,I replaced all with dayco brand the pulley seemed fine but i got a new one anyway, no squealing as yet but for $35ish off ebay worth a shot maybe?

Yeah, I initially replaced all 3 belts with Gates branded, had squealing noise, so removed the A/C belt so idler pulley was not been driving and with engine running still had squealing noise. So it cannot be the A/C idler pulley.

Comment

• craka
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2009
              • Newcastle (Newie)

Well I threw a towel in amongst the fan to jam it up from spinning. Still have the squealing noise. With engine off and removing the towel, I gave the fan a spin, it spins less than a quarter of a turn. Also tried moving the tip of fan back and forth doesn't seem to be any significant movement as in a buggered bearing.

I did notice that the alternator pulley seems a fair bit hotter to touch than either the crankshaft or water pump pulley.

Comment

• gazza11
                • Aug 2017
                • Medowie NSW

Hi, I recently changed the belts and used Gates belts as they are supposed to be the best. Had squealing noise on start up when cold...adjusted belts....same thing!!...did it again...same thing!!, tightening the bets a bit more each time....did it again...guess what....took belts all off and sanded the inside of the pullies with medium grit sand paper, adjusted belts...squeal gone, and has been good for last 3000k's....Hope this helps.
                NT Pajero Exceed-factory tow bar and nudge bar-Provent 200 catch can-Michelin LTX Force tyres-DBA slotted front rotors-Bendix 4x4 Pads-Sheep Skin front seat covers.

Comment

• GHendo
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2012
                  • Northern NSW

It's possibly the bearing in either the alternator or the water pump. I've had both those things play up over time. Only recently my alternator failed completely - I'd had an intermittent bearing or belt noise for a while and presumed it was the belt. As it turned out it was the alternator.

If it's the water pump you'll find out when the seal gives way and you loose all the radiator water. I always now try to address that one long before it happens.

Cheers
                  Geoff
                  03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• craka
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
                    It's possibly the bearing in either the alternator or the water pump. I've had both those things play up over time. Only recently my alternator failed completely - I'd had an intermittent bearing or belt noise for a while and presumed it was the belt. As it turned out it was the alternator.

If it's the water pump you'll find out when the seal gives way and you loose all the radiator water. I always now try to address that one long before it happens.

Cheers
                    Geoff
                    Is there a way to isolate one or the other, to test which one it may be coming from?
                    (rant, can't see why they couldn't have designed it to have a separate belt for alterator and separate belt for water pump.)

Comment

• _jp_
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2013
                      • Adelaide Hills, SA

My drive belts were showing signs or hardening and were a bit noisy (not squealing mind you).

I replaced them (x3) with Optibelt brand and the pulley with Nuline brand from my local Sprint Auto Parts store.

They are as quiet as a mouse now. Just thought I'd mention it as an alternative to Gates.
                      NW GLXR - SOLD
                      --------------
                      EVO 6 TME

Comment

• craka
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2009
                        • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by _jp_ View Post
                        My drive belts were showing signs or hardening and were a bit noisy (not squealing mind you).

I replaced them (x3) with Optibelt brand and the pulley with Nuline brand from my local Sprint Auto Parts store.

They are as quiet as a mouse now. Just thought I'd mention it as an alternative to Gates.
                        I might throw the old belts back on to see if I can distinguish if noise is from the new belts. There was noise with the old ones but far worse with new belts.

Comment

• craka
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2009
                          • Newcastle (Newie)

So in the end found out it's just the belts making the noise.
                          Fitted the old belts and tensioned up and have no noise. The old belts are genuine mm belts with smooth inner rather than grooved. Is there an aftermarket belt that has smooth inner.?

For the moment I've left the old ones on as was going away and didn't have time to swap over and try another set of new belts. I have however taken new belts with me just in case.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2016
                            • Greater Sydney

Have Gates grooved belts on for a number of years and Ks with no drama.

Comment

• Swede50
                              • Oct 2016
                              • Melbourne

First time poster here,,,
                              You do realise that the alternator belts need to be a "matched pair"
                              Cheers
                              NT '10 ARB Bar King & Koni Raid TJM Snorkel Lithium Aux, Winch Ultraguage TPMS Lockup Mate HIKEIT LRA Aux tank and lots of other stuff

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X