Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > It's all about 'Fishing'

It's all about 'Fishing' Let's have a look at your catch and boat!

Old 09-03-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGGA View Post
How did you go with the Yabbies? I have mates that have come home with 10's of Kgs in a matter of hours! Apparently the back waters are producing in abundance and are forecast to remain this way for a couple years
Been many years since I used to fish the murry. I used to taget the spiny freshwater cray. Bloody beautiful to eat. Seen plenty of yabbies too. Reckon if the carp start dying the yabbies will be growing to the size of sheep!!
Old 09-03-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cruzin View Post
I wasn't asking for a history lesson, I was stating a fact that previous attempts to introduce a species to eradicate another had not gone well in the past.
I know all about the virus, I read about it 12 months ago and have been to a conferance that discussed the topic. It has not been tested in every possible situation, ans is not a guaranteed 100% kill rate.
Nature finds a way to survive, and any that do will more than likely become immune to the virus. I think a lot more research needs to be donr before they release it.
The point is, making comparisons to the introduction of rabbits or cane toads is a false equivalence. There was ZERO scientific investigation done with either of those things, whereas the CSIRO has been working on this for over 10 years.

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto
Old 09-03-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merts View Post
The point is, making comparisons to the introduction of rabbits or cane toads is a false equivalence. There was ZERO scientific investigation done with either of those things, whereas the CSIRO has been working on this for over 10 years.

Its been 25 years since I fished the Murry River but even then the bloody carp had ruines the place. I can remember fishing in my early teens and the water was crystal clear with many water plants and great fishing. The refin were up to 5 kg and cod a plenty. Wonderful country then. Now, thanks to dipshit pollies, cotton farmers, vermin, bogan campers and land clearing our once magnificent waterways are just drainage canals. The carp have to be cleaned out asap. Hopefully the CSRIO can get it sorted. Lucky to have such a good organisation as the dipshit pollies keep cutting their funding.

Heres some info
2. Will CyHV-3 be effective as a biocontrol agent?

CyHV-3 first appeared in Israel in 1998 and quickly spread throughout the world, killing-off common and koi carp. Ironically carp are farmed in many countries and are an important food source. So, while CyHV-3 has devastated carp farming, the overseas experience has demonstrated how it could be used successfully as a biocontrol agent here.
Testing of CyHV-3 in the high-security Fish Diseases Laboratory at our Australian Animal Health Laboratory (AAHL), in Geelong, Victoria, has proven that the same virus does in fact kill Australian carp, and it kills them fast.
The flip side is our rigorous testing to ensure that the virus won’t affect native Australian or important introduced species of fish. It has been shown to pose no danger to 13 native species such as Murray cod, various species of perch, eel and catfish, as well as a crustacean (yabbies) and a non-native fish species, the rainbow trout. Our work has shown that there are no clinical or pathological changes in these non-target animals, nor is there any evidence that the virus multiplies in these species.
Chickens, mice, frogs, turtles and water dragons have also been tested as representatives of a wider community of birds, mammals, amphibians and reptiles. Again the virus has shown no effect on them which also makes us confident that it won’t affect that other major group of mammals – humans.
Based on lessons learnt from past use of viral biocontrol agents for invasive vertebrates, we expect that CyHV-3 will have the greatest impact in the first couple of years after release. After that, its effectiveness may be diminished, but not lost, as virus and host adapt to each other.
Therefore, we need an integrated pest management program that utilizes other methods to complement our virus. These include new broad-scale technologies such as ‘daughterless’ technology to create male-only populations, as well as traditional regional methods such as trapping, the commercial collection of carp, and controlling access of carp to breeding grounds.
Old 09-03-17
Valued Member

Quote:
How did you go with the Yabbies? I have mates that have come home with 10's of Kgs in a matter of hours! Apparently the back waters are producing in abundance and are forecast to remain this way for a couple years
We were at Lake Bonney and didn't catch a single Yabbie, but I have heard plenty of reports of people catching bulk quantities!
Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Stedi driving/fog light combo + LED headlights, dual battery, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone
Old 09-03-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poita View Post
We were at Lake Bonney and didn't catch a single Yabbie, but I have heard plenty of reports of people catching bulk quantities!
Ah, Lake Bonny, prob not the ideal spot for large quantities of Yabbies but a nice place to camp for a few days.
Old 10-03-17
Valued Member

Quote:

Caught up with one of my mates last night and even though he was a bit pi$$ed, I asked him to send me all his photos of what they caught cause he a great one of him holding a BIG one that was much bigger than his hand. Anyway I was Very surprised that he even sent any photos at all! so this all all I have

Three different size eskies where almost filled in a 1 day trip (not over night)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15-03-17

I think KHV could work if it's used as part of a hollistic approach to cleaning up our waterways, which I get the distinct impressions it's not at the moment. It appears that many people, pollies included think KHV is a magic bullet that will rid the carp and instantly clean up our waterways. It wont. It's immediate effect will be tonnes of dead fish polluting the waterways and causing more damage, I haven't seen one proper clean up program suggested yet.
After the initial kill, there will need to be a massive change in the way our waterways are used and protected, in order to get the rivers back to a clean state before the immune carp re-populate (probably in 5 years or so). Water flow, habitat re-seeding, farming practices, pollution and urban run off will all need to be addressed, else we'll be back to square one, but with an immune carp population.

2002 NM Exceed 3.5l Auto. Oricom 280 UHF, Full Boar Snorkel, Maxxis 980's. Diff breather kit *still* waiting to be fitted. Heading for the great scrap yard in the sky very soon.
Old 15-03-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_H View Post
I think KHV could work if it's used as part of a hollistic approach to cleaning up our waterways, which I get the distinct impressions it's not at the moment. It appears that many people, pollies included think KHV is a magic bullet that will rid the carp and instantly clean up our waterways. It wont. It's immediate effect will be tonnes of dead fish polluting the waterways and causing more damage, I haven't seen one proper clean up program suggested yet.
After the initial kill, there will need to be a massive change in the way our waterways are used and protected, in order to get the rivers back to a clean state before the immune carp re-populate (probably in 5 years or so). Water flow, habitat re-seeding, farming practices, pollution and urban run off will all need to be addressed, else we'll be back to square one, but with an immune carp population.
We will never get the Rivers back to how they uased to be 50 years ago..never. Mans stupidity and greed has seen to that...
Old 30-04-17

One of the problems with the river cleanliness is having a continual flow.

200 years ago (unless in flood), the Murray was a series of pools that trickled over rocks into the next one.

This is important, because the majority of water stays stagnant in the pools and only the top layer flows. This allows sediment to fall out and settle on the bottom.

Since the river has been changed into one continuous flow, the sediment never falls out and is continually mixed.

A good example is the river Torrens in Adelaide. A disgusting, dirty river you can't see more than an inch into. Yet in the later stages of the river (about 2km from the outlet) they've done landscaping to return it to a series of deep pools separated by rock walls and small waterfalls.

The water in this area is magnitudes clearer as all the sediment is falling out. The last 1km to the sea is continuous flow, and it goes back to brown water.