• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Johnston
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2010
    • Mount Gambier, SA

I am beginning to wonder what diesel we are getting down here. Caltex have been selling what is supposed to be Vortex diesel, but lately they call it truck diesel. Sells for 2c a ltr cheaper, now its back to both diesels on the signs.. Not sure what we are getting
    Only reason I use Caltex is I have a star card, and have had a bad experience with one of our BP servos with bad petrol.
    2015 Subaru Forester 2.5 petrol CVT. (Missus car)
    Just got an NS DID manual (my car) SOLD.
    2014 Subaru Outback diesel, CVT. Mine

Comment

• spot01
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Ian Johnston View Post
      I am beginning to wonder what diesel we are getting down here. Caltex have been selling what is supposed to be Vortex diesel, but lately they call it truck diesel. Sells for 2c a ltr cheaper, now its back to both diesels on the signs.. Not sure what we are getting
      Only reason I use Caltex is I have a star card, and have had a bad experience with one of our BP servos with bad petrol.
      I suspect your diesel may be sourced from different places at times, with some from Vic. In a NS common rail, I would use the Vortex if available & avoid "truck diesel". I've noticed a few country Caltex servos selling both Vortex & regular diesel - probably because the truckies & locals with older diesels don't want to pay the extra 2c. I pay the extra for premium with a common rail, as these are more sensitive to fuel quality & I suspect the main benefit will be longevity of the fuel system (& mine appears to run better on it)
      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• First Timer
        • Jan 2013
        • South Australia

Same here, I always used to use shell diesel and was happy to do so. One day I was low and the nearest servo was Caltex so I pulled in and filled up, I thought I was imagining things that the car was going better and for that tank I got better mileage. So what I did was continue to use vortex diesel and I know that I get better performance and economy out of it.
        Just on the Liberty outlets etc I knew 2 brothers with trucks, they decided to get fuel at a cheaper outlet instead of their usual servo's. Well within 2 days they were both in the workshop with fuel problems, gone back to their regular servo and no more problems.
        Last edited by First Timer; 24-12-15, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• Ian Johnston
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2010
          • Mount Gambier, SA

Most, if not all our diesel comes from Vic. I use Vortex if I can, only just got the NS, so still on the 1st tank. The servo I usually use has a high turnover of fuel, lots of trucks and 4x4s(work vehicles and normals)
          They just put in more bowsers for trucks only, and for a small period took the Vortex sign down. Was told it was only until the new tanks were finished.
          Vortex and Truck diesel signs up now.
          How do we know whats in each tank is my concern?????? Is truck diesel being sold as Vortex as well?????
          2015 Subaru Forester 2.5 petrol CVT. (Missus car)
          Just got an NS DID manual (my car) SOLD.
          2014 Subaru Outback diesel, CVT. Mine

Comment

• Moya
            • Apr 2015
            • South west vic

Mt barker in SA have vortex diesiel for 107.9
            PLUTO the NT Platinum - Bushskins - cargo barrier - dash mat - window tint

Comment

• spot01
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2011
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by Ian Johnston View Post
              Most, if not all our diesel comes from Vic. I use Vortex if I can, only just got the NS, so still on the 1st tank. The servo I usually use has a high turnover of fuel, lots of trucks and 4x4s(work vehicles and normals)
              They just put in more bowsers for trucks only, and for a small period took the Vortex sign down. Was told it was only until the new tanks were finished.
              Vortex and Truck diesel signs up now.
              How do we know whats in each tank is my concern?????? Is truck diesel being sold as Vortex as well?????
              As all diesel appears to be the same colour, I don't think Vortex looks any different to the eye (they use colour coding to identify different fuels).

I wouldn't think they would be silly enough to mis-represent the product, as the penalties are huge.

The fact they took the Vortex signs down when the product wasn't available indicates to me that they are being honest.
              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• brianwanless
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2008
                • Mackay Nth Qld

Filled up yesterday Mobil diesel 99.9 a litre. That was a nice Christmas present as it takes 170 litres to fill both tanks.
                NP did, auto, mags, aux tank, bullbar, hid spots, leds, uhf, engine watchdog, safari chip, anderson plug, fridge socket, gps, snorkel, airbags, sidesteps, dual batteries, hr towbar, brake controller, torque convertor lockup switch, slotted discs, stainless braided brake hoses, led rev lights.

Comment

• ticky
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2015
                  • Adelaide

My NT is my first Diesel & I dont know much about them, I usually use Shell, & I can see the benefit of using one with a Higher (Octane... Not the right word but you know what I mean). As for some being better for injectors, Is't the Filter supposed to take care of that?

Steve
                  2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• ticky
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2015
                    • Adelaide

I live at North Haven & a couple years ago, they built a new Fuel Storage Facility & Dock Facility at Outer Harbour.

Interestingly, There is ONE and only ONE pipe that carries ALL FUELS from the Dock to the Fuel Storage, probably about 2.5km long and 8" or 10" Diameter.

EDIT>>>
                    I just checked the Caltex Website & they claim there are 2 pipelines but I only ever saw one when they were doing it.

Either way, If there are 2 pipes, and it stands to reason that there would be, then I would assume 1 would be for Diesel & the other for Petrol.
                    I can see how Additives can be added before it is trucked out to the various Servoes, but surly the quality of the base diesel has to be equally as good at any servo wouldn't it?

Steve
                    Last edited by ticky; 24-12-15, 10:41 PM.
                    2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• spot01
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by ticky View Post
                      I live at North Haven & a couple years ago, they built a new Fuel Storage Facility & Dock Facility at Outer Harbour.

Interestingly, There is ONE and only ONE pipe that carries ALL FUELS from the Dock to the Fuel Storage, probably about 2.5km long and 8" or 10" Diameter.

EDIT>>>
                      I just checked the Caltex Website & they claim there are 2 pipelines but I only ever saw one when they were doing it.

Either way, If there are 2 pipes, and it stands to reason that there would be, then I would assume 1 would be for Diesel & the other for Petrol.
                      I can see how Additives can be added before it is trucked out to the various Servoes, but surly the quality of the base diesel has to be equally as good at any servo wouldn't it?

Steve
                      The high pressure oil pipline from the now defunct Port Stanvac Oil Refinery to the Birkenhead Fuel distribution terminals was a single pipe through which Mobil pumped the various product (petrol, diesel, avgas, Jet A1, etc.), all through a single pipe one after the other. I think they used some other product to separate each product. So a single pipe can carry multiple product. Interestingly, the Mobil product from Stanvac was supplied to all 4 oil majors at Birkenhead, who then did their own blending including additives before distribution to their servos.

I only noticed one pipe being laid out on the ground when they were laying the pipeline from the wharf at Outer Harbour to the new Caltex terminal at Pelican Point.

I haven't studied the plant at Pelican Point to see if it has a blending/additives facility or is simply a bunch of storage tanks & truck filling bays, so don't know if they bring in finished product, i.e., Vortex & regular diesel separately or if they combine the additives here.
                      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• vladguan
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Adelaide

Woolies Caltex on Prospect Rd, Blair Athol always have their Vortex premium diesel between 1.04 and 1.07. They are very busy and at times you have to wait up to 10 minutes. It is on the way to work so perfect for me.
                        Please call me Vlad.
                        -----------------------
                        MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• rotare
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2007

Paid 95.9 a litre last night at Joes in Bridgewater, Adelaide. I reckon he'd be consistently the cheapest in Adelaide.
                          2013 NW VRX

Comment

• vladguan
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2015
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by rotare View Post
                            Paid 95.9 a litre last night at Joes in Bridgewater, Adelaide. I reckon he'd be consistently the cheapest in Adelaide.
                            You mean outside of Adelaide
                            Please call me Vlad.
                            -----------------------
                            MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• underdog
                              • Jan 2015
                              • Campbelltown, NSW.

Metro Petroleum (Mobil) in Heddon Greta has Premium Diesel for 97.9/L
                              200m up the road, BP has ultimate diesel for 98.9/L

Legitimately the cheapest I've seen diesel since I moved to Newcastle 4yrs ago. Wishing so badly that I still had an auxiliary tank!
                              2011 Pajero NW GL 3.2 Auto
                              Bullbar, spotlights, twin wheel carrier, snorkel, spv, uhf, 3" lift, cargo barrier, bushskinz, 285/70/17 M/T, 2.5m awning, Waeco CFX40, DIY rear storage, drawers, fridge slide & dog floor, Intervolt EBI Pro, 105ah + 65ah batteries, 65L Abber tank & 12v pump.

Comment

• rotare
                                Valued Member
                                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by vladguan View Post
                                You mean outside of Adelaide
                                If you're meaning Adelaide the city, then yes. I was referring to the Adelaide metro area
                                2013 NW VRX

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X