Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > It's all about 'Fishing'

It's all about 'Fishing' Let's have a look at your catch and boat!

Old 23-06-14
Valued Member

It does some what come down to personal choice, as already seen by the responses so far

However, considering the rough guide you've given us on what you're requiring and willing to spend, the Lowrance HDS range is hard to beat for value for money. They are easy to use and basically once they are set up they really are "plug n play" scenario, ie, you can have them operating in fully automatic mode and get great results, or if you are so inclined you can switch them over the full manual mode and play around and adjust as you see fit every conceivable function of the sounder.

Personally, I'd rather concentrate on fishing than spend my time fluffing around with different settings, trying to get the sounder to give a good picture.

In a nutshell are there better sounders than a Lowrance HDS? Most likely, but at the same time expect to pay 3-5 times more for something that will give you marginally better "performance", and in fact in my experience most average fishermen wouldn't be able to maximise the benefits of more expensive and complicated units anyway.

Last edited by rotare; 25-06-14 at 10:08 AM.
Old 13-07-14
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWorries View Post
I owned a WA fishing website for 3 years and this question always comes up.
Furuno for the Sounder (not for the GPS)
Lowerance or Raymarine for the GPS

It really comes down to how keen at fishing you are.
Best advice I can give is go as bigger screen as your budget allows you will never regret a bigger screen but you will always curse a small screen especially if it is a combo unit.

My setup is a Furuno 587 ($2500 with 1K tranny)
and a Raymarine E7D for a GPS Map ($1700)
This is the ducks nuts to 100 mtrs depth and probably a bit deeper as well.

If you want a all in one (ok if your not really trying to hit a small lump every time) the Raymarine E7D or Any of the Lowrances would be fine.
The Garmins in my opinion are hard to use and the pins at the back are a bit flimsy
I know a couple of pro Bream fisherman who swear by the Lowrance side scan for the Creeks and rivers and shallow ocean water (up to 40mtrs)
so in your case then this may suit you well.
Personal note touch screens are pretty much useless with wet bait slimy hands.

I reckon this is on the money. Had many Lowrances until I discovered Furuno. They just work so much better as a sounder. So now have Lowrance plotter, Furuno sounder. A dealer once said to me look in the wheel house of the pro boats and what do you see? Sounders are Furuno, Kodan etc and the plotters are lowerance, Raymarine etc.

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
MY10 Pajero Platnium with bits now sold to Spiderpig.
99 Rodeo TD dual cab.
Old 14-07-14

It depends on what type of fishing you do as to what sounder/plotter is best.

I have a HDS 10 with side scan and for fresh and estuary fishing it is brilliant,
can hold bottom at 75kph and side scan is almost cheating when billabong
fishing. The sea is very flat where I live, I safely go 100km out to sea with my
Hornet punt and the HDS still works fine however in anything but glass
conditions the sounder starts to struggle a bit.
Old 14-07-14

Also worth mentioning the back up provided by lowrance is great, I originally had a hds8 and for some reason it wouldn't do a software update so they replaced it with a hds10. Awesome customer service.
Old 24-07-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc View Post
I had the Furuno 620 now the 627 model and loved it, they are also doing great deals on the combo units if you buy ex the usa. Have a look at the GP1870F for around US$830, 1st rate and close to $2k here in Oz.

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/furun...ransducer.html

Starmarine are good to deal with

Cheers Mark
x2 with you on this one, I had the 620 and it was the best sounder I have ever had. Doesn't have 200+ options but is great as a sounder. I agree with above, buy ex USA and save 40% compared to Australian prices
Old 24-07-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by supazuk View Post
Also worth mentioning the back up provided by lowrance is great, I originally had a hds8 and for some reason it wouldn't do a software update so they replaced it with a hds10. Awesome customer service.
That's lucky, I have heard anything but good service for brands supported by Navico, don't believe me but, do a search and there'll be heaps to back this up